A little sidenote

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am checking my email at precisely 9:00 am (like I do every morning now.. I know it's a little neurotic), when my grandfather says to me, you know CRAZYTERP, you should probably shave your goatee bc I think you look too much like a middle eastern. Now, I am thinking since I am indian that shaving my goatee will not make any difference whatsoever, bc there is no way to hide the color of my skin, nor do I think I should have to. For some reason though my grandfather could not see my argument. I am wondering if it is just his way of saying shave that damn beard, or if he actually has a point.

I do realize that many interviewers and adcoms may have subconcious biases as is human nature, however, I do not think my race or anyone elses should make a difference no matter how others percieve thos from the middle east right now. Though I have not directly been affected by any prejudice (at least I do not know of any), I think may also be in part to the fact that I am currently living in a pretty diverse city. It is a pretty weird situation to be in though when you visit cities like Baton Rouge, LA and you are the only Brown person in sight.

Basically, I think this is an interesting topic to address. I realize there are tons of indian/middle eastern doctors and med students out there and wonder if anyone thinks it may actually play a role in decision making this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, unless it works in your favor because of diversity issues.

Now the goatee might be another story..........;)

Originally posted by SMW
Nope, unless it works in your favor because of diversity issues.

Now the goatee might be another story..........;)

Yeah, you might want to get rid of the goat...I got rid of mine for similar reasons...plus I wanted to try something different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do appreciate your oppinions on the facial hair but I would rather like to hear if anyone else has an oppinion on the race thing. I do doubt that being indian will help diversity wise. I think there are already tons of indian/asian doctors and it is more of a hindrance than a help. BTW I am keeping my goatee... for now at least.

Along the same line as CRAZYTERP's goatee questions....I have mulitple piercings in my ears (we're talking 9)...I really hadn't thought about taking them out but I don't want to offend stuffy medical interviewers....any suggestions?

I'm waiting till I get in for the nose piercing :)

Be happy, my man. I'm 26 and couldn't grow a goat if someone paid me.

Shave if you will, but smile knowing that nobody will call you "patches" as it grows back. :)

Originally posted by RachelMann
Along the same line as CRAZYTERP's goatee questions....I have mulitple piercings in my ears (we're talking 9)...I really hadn't thought about taking them out but I don't want to offend stuffy medical interviewers....any suggestions?

HEY Rach,
Yeah I forgot to mention I have earrings in both ears too but I am planning ont akin g them out. I would say gio casual and you can probably keep a few earrings in, like 2 in each ear. I don't think it should be a big deal but these ultracoservative type adcoms may not want to ruing hteir ultraconservative image. I had an eyebrow ring last year too but unfortuanlet that closed up, otherwise I would have a big problem on my hands, well except for the fact thay my whole family thinks i look like a terrorist and is worried adcoms will too

Originally posted by RachelMann

is that 9 in each ear?? i have 7 total. for the interviews, i leave all out except for the front ones. you can still kind of see the holes, so i'm not sure how much good i'm doing, but it can't hurt, i guess. besides, i tend to play with my jewelry, so i left only a necklace and those earrings in.