A little sidenote

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CRAZYTERP, Sep 18, 2002.

1. CRAZYTERP

Resident [Any Field]
    So I am checking my email at precisely 9:00 am (like I do every morning now.. I know it's a little neurotic), when my grandfather says to me, you know CRAZYTERP, you should probably shave your goatee bc I think you look too much like a middle eastern. Now, I am thinking since I am indian that shaving my goatee will not make any difference whatsoever, bc there is no way to hide the color of my skin, nor do I think I should have to. For some reason though my grandfather could not see my argument. I am wondering if it is just his way of saying shave that damn beard, or if he actually has a point.

I do realize that many interviewers and adcoms may have subconcious biases as is human nature, however, I do not think my race or anyone elses should make a difference no matter how others percieve thos from the middle east right now. Though I have not directly been affected by any prejudice (at least I do not know of any), I think may also be in part to the fact that I am currently living in a pretty diverse city. It is a pretty weird situation to be in though when you visit cities like Baton Rouge, LA and you are the only Brown person in sight.

Basically, I think this is an interesting topic to address. I realize there are tons of indian/middle eastern doctors and med students out there and wonder if anyone thinks it may actually play a role in decision making this year.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Nope, unless it works in your favor because of diversity issues.

Now the goatee might be another story..........;)

4. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Yeah, you might want to get rid of the goat...I got rid of mine for similar reasons...plus I wanted to try something different.

5. CRAZYTERP

Resident [Any Field]
    I do appreciate your oppinions on the facial hair but I would rather like to hear if anyone else has an oppinion on the race thing. I do doubt that being indian will help diversity wise. I think there are already tons of indian/asian doctors and it is more of a hindrance than a help. BTW I am keeping my goatee... for now at least.

6. RachelMann

RachelMann Junior Member

Along the same line as CRAZYTERP's goatee questions....I have mulitple piercings in my ears (we're talking 9)...I really hadn't thought about taking them out but I don't want to offend stuffy medical interviewers....any suggestions?

I'm waiting till I get in for the nose piercing :)

7. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

Be happy, my man. I'm 26 and couldn't grow a goat if someone paid me.

Shave if you will, but smile knowing that nobody will call you "patches" as it grows back. :)

8. CRAZYTERP

Resident [Any Field]
    HEY Rach,
    Yeah I forgot to mention I have earrings in both ears too but I am planning ont akin g them out. I would say gio casual and you can probably keep a few earrings in, like 2 in each ear. I don't think it should be a big deal but these ultracoservative type adcoms may not want to ruing hteir ultraconservative image. I had an eyebrow ring last year too but unfortuanlet that closed up, otherwise I would have a big problem on my hands, well except for the fact thay my whole family thinks i look like a terrorist and is worried adcoms will too

9. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

is that 9 in each ear?? i have 7 total. for the interviews, i leave all out except for the front ones. you can still kind of see the holes, so i'm not sure how much good i'm doing, but it can't hurt, i guess. besides, i tend to play with my jewelry, so i left only a necklace and those earrings in.