A&M VERO (IS) vs Tech (IS) Ohio State (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I just think they're neat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, a disclaimer that I haven't heard back from Tech yet, so that may not even be an issue.

I just finished up undergrad and my Master's with A&M, so I've been in College Station for 5-6 years now. I spent a fair amount of time working with whitetail deer as a grad student and was hoping to continue that, but it looks like I'm going to be out of luck on that front no matter what option I ultimately pick. If I choose an in-state option, I'm going to be in the panhandle region for 2-4 years, working almost exclusively with SA/LA rural medicine. I'm not averse to that--I've loved my experience in that area in the past--but I'm leery about the idea of shutting myself off from other career options before I even really know what I'm getting into.

Both Tech and the VERO program are also very, very new. Tech is still in the process of getting credentialed, while VERO has multiple Zoom classes for its first two years and seems to generally be cut off from the broader A&M program. Upsides: for either, it's a relatively small class size with a large amount of hands-on experience. Tech issues its students handheld ultrasounds on day 1, for instance. For the VERO program, I've been told that the students there tend to get access to live animals for clinical skills well before the main A&M campus does.

Ohio State would involve a change of pace, a new climate, and a similar college culture as one of the big SEC schools. It's also a well-established program. I don't know anyone there, though, and so I'm not as well-informed about the quality of life and pros/cons.

Accepting all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally only look at the IS options due to cost. I've heard through the grapevine that some of the A&M equine profs are leaving to join Tech, so that could also impact your decision. On the other hand, while VERO is a newer program it's still apart of the larger, established TAMU vet school/program and you would be able to use the teaching hospital and other facilities (ex. Wildlife center) after you join the main campus. I do believe Tech comes out a little cheaper, but personally I'd be a little hesitant because of the lack of NAVLE information.

Either way it's a great problem to have! Congratulations on becoming a future doctor!

Reactions: 1 users
How much is tuition between the three schools? Is there a large difference between either of the TX or Ohio?

I’m a firm believer that yes, you should pick the cheaper option. But at the same time, pick what YOU want to do. In the end you do get the same degree regardless of where you go. That said, if it’s important to you to get a different pace and environment, go to tOSU (I also think you can establish residency after the first year).

Also, think about internships you can do over the summers. You could remain in TX for school as it’s cheaper, but do internships in other states to get a well-rounded education. There’s a lot in other countries too that would be awesome.

My IS was Auburn. If they had said yes and another school said yes (like UW or WSU my top choices), I would’ve said screw the difference in tuition and went elsewhere because I wanted more opportunities that they could offer than Auburn.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is tuition between the three schools? Is there a large difference between either of the TX or Ohio?

I’m a firm believer that yes, you should pick the cheaper option. But at the same time, pick what YOU want to do. In the end you do get the same degree regardless of where you go. That said, if it’s important to you to get a different pace and environment, go to tOSU (I also think you can establish residency after the first year).

Also, think about internships you can do over the summers. You could remain in TX for school as it’s cheaper, but do internships in other states to get a well-rounded education. There’s a lot in other countries too that would be awesome.

My IS was Auburn. If they had said yes and another school said yes (like UW or WSU my top choices), I would’ve said screw the difference in tuition and went elsewhere because I wanted more opportunities that they could offer than Auburn.

Good luck!!
OOS for tOSU is $424,468 while IS for Tech is $192,405 and $211,018 for TAMU. Values from AAVMC Cost Comparison Tool.

For A&M VERO you will be in Canyon for the first 2 years. It's a small town & other than Palo Duro Canyon there really isn't a lot to do there but Amarillo isn't that far away & has anything you would need. It is windy and you may experience a haboob while you are there. WT has a nice campus; my daughter graduated from there just before covid hit.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS for tOSU is $424,468 while IS for Tech is $192,405 and $211,018 for TAMU. Values from AAVMC Cost Comparison Tool.
That’s quite a difference. I think I would consider tuition as a factor since it’s SUCH a difference. You could do internships/externships in other places like Ohio to get various experiences!

Regarding cost, I recommend checking directly with each school. tOSU allows for IS rates after the first year, BUT that first year is quite expensive. Another site to initially compare costs is

At the end of the day, unless the cost difference is less than a couple thousand, I recommend going to the least expensive option for so many reasons that you will later appreciate.

Per the schools' website:
Ohio's tuition is 197k, with overall cost of attendance pegged at 283k.
A&M's tuition is 106k, with overall cost of attendance around 195k.

It's also worth noting that both schools gauge their cost of living to be around 17k a year, which is odd to me when Ohio presumably has a much higher COL than either Canyon or College Station.

I am currently leaning towards A&M as a result. I also talked to some A&M faculty about the state of the VERO program and got mostly positive feedback, so I feel a little more comfortable with going out there. It's a new location, but not a new program, and I might even prefer the smaller class size and the amount of LA exposure I get through this route.

Reactions: 1 users
Per the schools' website:
Ohio's tuition is 197k, with overall cost of attendance pegged at 283k.
A&M's tuition is 106k, with overall cost of attendance around 195k.

It's also worth noting that both schools gauge their cost of living to be around 17k a year, which is odd to me when Ohio presumably has a much higher COL than either Canyon or College Station.

I am currently leaning towards A&M as a result. I also talked to some A&M faculty about the state of the VERO program and got mostly positive feedback, so I feel a little more comfortable with going out there. It's a new location, but not a new program, and I might even prefer the smaller class size and the amount of LA exposure I get through this route.
My daughter graduated from West Texas A&M December 2019 but I imagine Canyon hasn't changed too much the last 3 years. If you have any questions about the area I can to answer them.