A Major Caribbean School's Admission Lie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No need to hate on DO's broseph.
DO == MD (source: see US medical licensing; if they weren't equal, why can they match with MD's??).
My co-chief during residency was a DO and he showed me some awesome OMM techniques that I use on my patients EVERY DAY. Granted I just learned the basic quick stuff, but there are courses that MD's can take to learn OMM. Luckily I had the honor of having DO's in my residency that I tried to learn some stuff during my time in training.
98% of DOs use zero OMM in practice, last I checked.
 
You forgot fellowships. Community residencies substantially hurt your chances of landing a fellowship.
I'm not sure this is always true. I only know about my specialty, but for IM at least I was surprised by how decent many of the community program's match lists were when interviewing this past cycle. If your program is affiliated with a university (as many are nowadays), it's very possible to rotate through the university hospital to make contacts/get LORs. Also, many community hospitals sponsor fellowships that often have a strong preference for in-house candidates. If you know what subspecialty you are interested in prior to starting residency, it's possible to set yourself up in a community hospital that sponsors a fellowship program in that specialty.

I think you're right that coming from a community hospital probably makes it more difficult to match into the most competitive subspecialties (GI, cardio), as well as into academic fellowship programs. But as I mentioned before, academic programs aren't really necessary for many people's career goals. Again, this is only for IM, I have no idea about other specialties.
 
Hello all.
flags_1.jpg

flags_1.jpg