A minority in the healthcare professions as silent as their world is

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poetic Silence

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The minority I am speaking of is the American Deaf/deaf People. (The capitalization of the 'D' means the difference between a culture and a disability.)

Few people in the medical professions see or hear of us, but we're out there. Let it be known that the path we chose to walk was riddled with scrutiny, criticism, discouragement, and outright audism. For centuries our abilities and mental capacity has been hotly debated. The deaf and dumb (dumb meaning mute, not mentally impaired) have been historically viewed as unteachable, unintelligent, and feral people. We were viewed as less than living, breathing human beings; we were untameable animals that were locked in dungeons and cellars, never to be seen nor heard.

But enough of the dramatics. Deaf and deaf people can pursue careers in health and medical professionals. Physicians, veterinarians, dentists, nurses, psychologists, audiologists, a hearing impaired person can pursue a career in any of these professions among others.

Today's technologies make it possible to see heartbeats, lung sounds, and bowels sounds, rather than hear them. Look for yourself: http://www.amphl.org/StethVisual.php

What about PA systems paging you? Beepers, pagers, and SMS/MMS texting devices are perfect for accomadating this.

How can a deaf medical professional respond in a situation where wearing a mask is vital? By familiarizing yourself with emergency and procedural protocals, you can act with little to no verbal communications. Example: Familiarize yourself with your role and what your role requires you to do in that given situation.

These are only a few of the most asked questions. Rather than answer every last question, do a little research for yourself with some of the bigger organizations that work to make life and work easier for the deaf medical professional:
Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss
http://www.amphl.org/home.php
Exceptional Nurse: Nursing with disabilities
http://www.exceptionalnurse.com/

Or contact your state's vocational rehabilitation agency.

Just know that deafness doesn't have to define possibility. You are responsible for your own fate.

Good luck, and know I'm here if you have any questions,

Poetic Silence, aspiring deaf nurse

Members don't see this ad.

At least this thread isn't full of criticism. *Rolls eyes*

At least this thread isn't full of criticism. *Rolls eyes*

Well, what do you want? You wrote something clearly and well, didn't make any assumptions that would be offensive, and came across as normal. In this subforum, the hearing impaired is an under-represented group that is not often placed with others that are not, per se, "disabled". The audience (ironic, that word, isn't it?) just might not be here.

I, myself, although not hearing impaired, have always had a ken for those with hearing problems and/or speech problems (which sometimes go hand-in-glove, and sometimes are completely dissociated). I give you praise for what you are doing, and would support you in any way I could. Ad astra per aspera.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad there are some people out there who believe it possible. Thank you, if for nothing else, your beliefs.

Oh, it's possible. There was a guy in my paramedic class with profound loss, who made it through. There was a woman that was a surgical intern when I was who suffered hearing loss as a young adult (autoimmune); she was an ENT (otolaryngology) resident.

Oh, it's possible. There was a guy in my paramedic class with profound loss, who made it through. There was a woman that was a surgical intern when I was who suffered hearing loss as a young adult (autoimmune); she was an ENT (otolaryngology) resident.

Could you, perhaps, provide me with the Emails of any Deaf/deaf medical professionals you know of? I'm attempting to network with as many as possible. So far I've found none. I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask them, if you wouldn't mind messaging me their Emails.

Thank you.

I ask this question out of ignorance. For aspiring surgeons, how would a deaf person communicate with their attending in the OR? I guess I was wondering how deaf surgery residents have actually overcome this in the past?

I'm actually taking a few ASL classes because I was thinking the deaf community is one that doesn't have enough people that can help them directly. Since I want to become a psychiatrist, this may help deaf people with problems be open sooner because they won't have to get a translator for me.

I ask this question out of ignorance. For aspiring surgeons, how would a deaf person communicate with their attending in the OR? I guess I was wondering how deaf surgery residents have actually overcome this in the past?

No question asked out of curiosity for another person could ever be considered ignorant. I'm happy you asked me this. So happy that I'll answer.;)

Deaf surgeons, physician assistants, surgical assistants, registered nurses, and technicians have overcome this in the past and present. How they did this was by familiarizing themselves with their role in any given procedure they may be expected to do as a part of their current job. This also includes heavily educating themselves on any possible emergency situation that could arise from or during that procedure and their role in the emergency response, including who they follow or assist in the emergency response.

Once you fully understand your role, communication becomes little more than superficial.

By the way, check out the see through masks currently on the market. Easy access speech reading.

I'm actually taking a few ASL classes because I was thinking the deaf community is one that doesn't have enough people that can help them directly. Since I want to become a psychiatrist, this may help deaf people with problems be open sooner because they won't have to get a translator for me.

While your intentions are noble and will certainly prove helpful in the future, please keep in mind a deaf person's right to a board specialty certified interpreter. There are ASL (American Sign Language) and SEE (Signed Exact English) interpreters for specialty areas such as medicine, law, college, criminal justice, etc. A deaf person is guaranteed by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) a qualified interpreter in most situations where communication is vital and recieving the information as accurately as possible is important. This includes a visit to the psychiatrist.

You'll be loved by the Deaf Community for learning even a bit about our language and culture, but you will still be responsible for supplying your deaf patients with a qualified interpreter when they visit you. Remeber that taking a couple college courses in another language does not equal being board certified in a specialty area of that language as complex as law or medicine. Please take this to heart.

That's absolutely true, and deaf folks definitely have a right to the best interpreter. Maybe if I get proficient enough I can get some kind of certificate for being able to translate.

While your intentions are noble and will certainly prove helpful in the future, please keep in mind a deaf person's right to a board specialty certified interpreter. There are ASL (American Sign Language) and SEE (Signed Exact English) interpreters for specialty areas such as medicine, law, college, criminal justice, etc. A deaf person is guaranteed by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) a qualified interpreter in most situations where communication is vital and recieving the information as accurately as possible is important. This includes a visit to the psychiatrist.

You'll be loved by the Deaf Community for learning even a bit about our language and culture, but you will still be responsible for supplying your deaf patients with a qualified interpreter when they visit you. Remeber that taking a couple college courses in another language does not equal being board certified in a specialty area of that language as complex as law or medicine. Please take this to heart.

I was applying to a medical school 1 year ago. I was even in direct contact with the dean who was personally herself helping me. They however, would not let me finish applying because they learnt that I am deaf. I did some research after the fact and latter found out that one of the admission requirements was that you needed to have hearing.

Last edited:

Most interpreters, at least the ones around here, are just sign language interpreters not specifically ASL or SEE interpreters. That Means they can interpreter either or, whatever the deaf student request and prefers.

I wont get into a debate about ASL vs. See, but I personally prefer ASL myself. The reason I prefer it is because its an actual deaf sign language it is not another language structure and grammar, such as English, in signing.

Some deaf know how to communicate orally. Meaning, they can talk. So I guess for those deafs they could just talk.

Last edited:
Most interpreters, at least the ones around here, are just sign language interpreters not specifically ASL or SEE interpreters. That Means they can interpreter either or, whatever the deaf student request and prefers.

I wont get into a debate about ASL vs. See, but I personally prefer ASL myself. The reason I prefer it is because its an actual deaf sign language it is not another language structure and grammar, such as English, in signing.

I agree with your views on ASL vs SEE.

As for your experiences with medical school, what they did was illegal. There are many deaf people out there practicing medicine and they were deaf even before med school. I personally know of a deafblind dentist and a blind anesthesiologist. If you truly want to become a physician I suggest you do some research on accomodation technology available for you and which can be paid for by your state's vocational rehab.

Also, check out this site, the Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss:
http://www.amphl.org/

There are people you can contact for advice and answers to your questions.

I sincerely hope you'll give medicine another shot.

I agree with your views on ASL vs SEE.

As for your experiences with medical school, what they did was illegal. There are many deaf people out there practicing medicine and they were deaf even before med school. I personally know of a deafblind dentist and a blind anesthesiologist. If you truly want to become a physician I suggest you do some research on accomodation technology available for you and which can be paid for by your state's vocational rehab.

Also, check out this site, the Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss:
http://www.amphl.org/

There are people you can contact for advice and answers to your questions.

I sincerely hope you'll give medicine another shot.

Yes, what they did is illegal. I totally agree. But its not like I can just go and sue, even though I should.

You are right about there being deaf doctors. I have heard about many myself. And thank you for the link. I have seen that site before, but that was some time ago.

As for vocational rehab, you must actually be seeking employment in order to qualify for help from them. At least, in this state you do. I of course am not doing that as I intend to focus specifically on my studies.

Yes, what they did is illegal. I totally agree. But its not like I can just go and sue, even though I should.

You are right about there being deaf doctors. I have heard about many myself. And thank you for the link. I have seen that site before, but that was some time ago.

As for vocational rehab, you must actually be seeking employment in order to qualify for help from them. At least, in this state you do. I of course am not doing that as I intend to focus specifically on my studies.

You do what you need to do in order to get where you want to be. I know it can be difficult and intimidating, but we deaf people must learn to speak up for ourselves. People will continue to belittle us and step on us until we speak up.

I know how you feel. I was denied entrance into a CNA program upon being called into an interview. The DON admitted I was the most impressive applicant in the bunch, but like you, she only saw my deafness. I certainly feel for you.

Good luck getting where you want to be.

Poetic silence thank you for your outspokeness on this issue. Out of all the posts Iv'e read this one hits home.
I am An african woman, who is hearing impaired (through inheritance). I grew up masking this because my mom says if anyone knew I would never get married.. yada yada ya along the lines of many African taboos inherited to our women. My dad who went to a deaf college here in the USA, I have not seen since I was in 7th grade. He essentially was my only link into the other part of me that my mom has told me to hide. My hearing declined even further in my second year of college. It took me years to overcome this. I had to master lipreading to continue my mom's orders of hiding this part of me. At the same time my grades declined because sitting in lectures not being able to hear a thing, was just as good as not even attending classes.
I'm at the point were I want to aply for med school. I do not know were to start. My grades are poor from my classes and I have no idea how to attack medical school, or how to find anyone within the deaf community to assist me. I feel in the middle of culture and self both of which I love, and both that I know I will find a balance, but I don't want it to be when I'm 40 years old, and still trying to get into medical school.

I was applying to a medical school 1 year ago. I was even in direct contact with the dean who was personally herself helping me. They however, would not let me finish applying because they learnt that I am deaf. I did some research after the fact and latter found out that one of the admission requirements was that you needed to have hearing.

I believe incidences like these is why my mom has tried so hard to hide my disability. Have you since then gotten into medical school?

In 2011 I started a 5th year Postbaccalaureate Pre-Med program. I've been trying hard to add more sciences to my transcript and boost my overall grades. Hopefully that will help me. I have not gone far in that though because of a lawsuit I am involved in. The medical school I applied to is the same university I was an undergrad at. I am currently suing them for not giving me a Sign Language Interpreter 20 different times, No closed captioning 100 different times, and No separate room for testing at least 25 different times. I could amend my current complaint and add to it the university denying me admissions to its medical school based on the fact that I am deaf, but I am waiting for the court to appoint counsel first. Court does not appoint counsel pro-bono until the 3rd Friday of every month and I submitted my application for counsel on the 3rd.

Last edited:
The minority I am speaking of is the American Deaf/deaf People. (The capitalization of the 'D' means the difference between a culture and a disability.)

Few people in the medical professions see or hear of us, but we're out there. Let it be known that the path we chose to walk was riddled with scrutiny, criticism, discouragement, and outright audism. For centuries our abilities and mental capacity has been hotly debated. The deaf and dumb (dumb meaning mute, not mentally impaired) have been historically viewed as unteachable, unintelligent, and feral people. We were viewed as less than living, breathing human beings; we were untameable animals that were locked in dungeons and cellars, never to be seen nor heard.

But enough of the dramatics. Deaf and deaf people can pursue careers in health and medical professionals. Physicians, veterinarians, dentists, nurses, psychologists, audiologists, a hearing impaired person can pursue a career in any of these professions among others.

Today's technologies make it possible to see heartbeats, lung sounds, and bowels sounds, rather than hear them. Look for yourself: http://www.amphl.org/StethVisual.php

What about PA systems paging you? Beepers, pagers, and SMS/MMS texting devices are perfect for accomadating this.

How can a deaf medical professional respond in a situation where wearing a mask is vital? By familiarizing yourself with emergency and procedural protocals, you can act with little to no verbal communications. Example: Familiarize yourself with your role and what your role requires you to do in that given situation.

These are only a few of the most asked questions. Rather than answer every last question, do a little research for yourself with some of the bigger organizations that work to make life and work easier for the deaf medical professional:
Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss
http://www.amphl.org/home.php
Exceptional Nurse: Nursing with disabilities
http://www.exceptionalnurse.com/

Or contact your state's vocational rehabilitation agency.

Just know that deafness doesn't have to define possibility. You are responsible for your own fate.

Good luck, and know I'm here if you have any questions,

Poetic Silence, aspiring deaf nurse

Good Post :thumbup: