A moral dillema...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duff Beer

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some feedback on this one...

Sent a heartfelt letter to my number one choice telling the PD that they were number one, etc... Emphasized I was being sincere, etc... At that point they were my number one. I recently spoke with a couple of residents at the program who advised me to think twice about training there. Their feedback magnified some concern I already had, but was willing to live with. Now I'm thinking I'm not going to rank them 1.

How big of a deal is this?

Members don't see this ad.

Duff Beer said:

Sent a heartfelt letter to my number one choice telling the PD that they were number one, etc... Emphasized I was being sincere, etc... At that point they were my number one. I recently spoke with a couple of residents at the program who advised me to think twice about training there. Their feedback magnified some concern I already had, but was willing to live with. Now I'm thinking I'm not going to rank them 1.

Bottom line..you gotta be comfortable with the program you put number one. I wouldn't let your previous actions preclude you from choosing another program.

this is essentially a business transaction. you are selling yourself to the programs and vice versa. much like there are about 20-30 "top ten" gas programs according to the PD's, there are easily 1-5 "number one" schools on any given applicant's rank list.

more importantly, what were the concerns, and which program? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Duff Beer said:

I really don't know what you should do at this point, but it's posts like this that really frusturate me. Writing a "heartfelt" letter to a PD to just later change your mind cheapens the letters of interests others send who are really indicating their true intentions. Man up and honor your original ranking. My 2 cents.

ultm8frisbee said:
I really don't know what you should do at this point, but it's posts like this that really frusturate me. Writing a "heartfelt" letter to a PD to just later change your mind cheapens the letters of interests others send who are really indicating their true intentions. Man up and honor your original ranking. My 2 cents.

i disagree. opinions on programs can change, even after you are certain about your situation and decision. i doubt there is a PD out there who does not take all of these letters with a grain of salt. it would be foolish to "man up" and rank a program highly if you have changed your mind.

Opinions do change. I'd say let the old one go, don't worry about it, and write a new letter to your new #1. :cool:

Opinions do change and sentiments expressed aren't binding, but I would like to echo the statements of people who worry about the repercussions for other applicants in the future. You might consider asking the PD via e-mail about your concerns, but don't mention the ranking. You probably aren't going to change your mind, but that way if you don't match there, the PD will have a clue about why and won't think you went back on your word.

Just my $0.02.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just send a letter to your new #1.

I guess people on here are ignorant of the fact that a majority of students send letters to all the programs on their ROL stating that they will be ranking them #1.

Don't sweat it. Your letter isn't gonna sway the PD one way or another. His list is already complete.

The game has been play for a while and these fellas know the rules.

ultm8frisbee said:

Dude, chill. You could send them a binding contract stating that you will rank them number one and it will probably mean very little as far as changing your position on the rank list.

ultm8frisbee said:

Dude, I understand your complaint. Dr. Mittman (PD at JHU) posted recently that at best letters of intent weakly correlate with true intent. Thus, I'm inclined to believe that experienced PD's do not weigh these letters much, if at all. Personally, I think the NRMP should ban all forms of contact like this because most of the letters we write probably mean nothing to the programs and they take a hell of a lot of time to write!

I definitely agree that it's not an ideal situation and thus the moral dillema...

Duff Beer said:
Personally, I think the NRMP should ban all forms of contact like this because most of the letters we write probably mean nothing to the programs and they take a hell of a lot of time to write!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Duff Beer said:
Dude, I understand your complaint. Dr. Mittman (PD at JHU) posted recently that at best letters of intent weakly correlate with true intent. Thus, I'm inclined to believe that experienced PD's do not weigh these letters much, if at all. Personally, I think the NRMP should ban all forms of contact like this because most of the letters we write probably mean nothing to the programs and they take a hell of a lot of time to write!

I definitely agree that it's not an ideal situation and thus the moral dillema...

No problem Duff. Hey, at least you are feeling a dilemma about your current situation. Some people seem to have no problem writing every program they interviewed at and telling them that they are their number one. I think that's what bothers me the most. Personally I wrote my number one and told 'em how I felt, no one else.........what the f#ck am I doing writing posts, time for another martinini!