a new idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prydA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so a friend and i have an idea, tell us what you think...

i recently took the DAT and my friend is studying to take it the next summer... we have spent hundreds (maybe bordering on thousands even) of dollars on DAT materials with loads of mistakes. don't you guys ever wonder why we spend so much money on possibly erroneous info? we want to create a book of questions and answers (similar to the destroyer), but also with charts and diagrams outlining the most crucial and hardest parts of bio to understand... like the respiration cycle and photosynthesis etc. we would make sure to double-check our work over and over again to be sure that our materials are legit.

we are not in it for the money, but we truly want to help out people. i personally love teaching and also am part of a dat tutoring program alrdy. we want to help out other students and think that what we might have to offer will be very beneficial to others.

i was just wondering if this idea would fly among you guys? we would be selling our materials at just high enough prices so we could cover our printing/copying/mailing costs. our ideas thus far include...

1. a book of questions and very detailed answers
2. a series of study guides with flow charts and mnemonics
3. a hotline to report possible errors or questions/comments
4. detailed test-day advice
5. flashcards and computer-simulation programs (we have extensive experience in programming)

we are also thinking of creating a possible study guide game that could be incorporated with the ipod. it could be a little electronic flashcard application for you to review basics :)

anyway, lemme know what you guys think. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I first of all its really nice that you guys want to help everyone. Truthfully I think there is already was to many resources out there for Biology and as it is I think you can just look up these systems in detail from your intro textbook.
That being said one thing that I do think is really lacking (contrary to the amount of study material out there) is practice timed computerized tests. Even if you guys could only work on the science section you said you are good at computers so I guess you could know how to do this something like another topscore and try to get the number of questions relating to the numerical breakdown of what they say is on the real thing. Personally I think this would be a huge asset to people studying.
Good luck guys

It's very nice of you to come up with the idea.

However, unless you have had some extensive experience in test question writing and publishing, you will probably have hard time coming up with a study guide as good as you wish it to be.
In worst case, you may end up copying or imitating other study guides and face legal problems in future.

And there are already plenty of study guides that can help people achieve their dream.

ok so a friend and i have an idea, tell us what you think...

i recently took the DAT and my friend is studying to take it the next summer... we have spent hundreds (maybe bordering on thousands even) of dollars on DAT materials with loads of mistakes. don't you guys ever wonder why we spend so much money on possibly erroneous info? we want to create a book of questions and answers (similar to the destroyer), but also with charts and diagrams outlining the most crucial and hardest parts of bio to understand... like the respiration cycle and photosynthesis etc. we would make sure to double-check our work over and over again to be sure that our materials are legit.

we are not in it for the money, but we truly want to help out people. i personally love teaching and also am part of a dat tutoring program alrdy. we want to help out other students and think that what we might have to offer will be very beneficial to others.

i was just wondering if this idea would fly among you guys? we would be selling our materials at just high enough prices so we could cover our printing/copying/mailing costs. our ideas thus far include...

1. a book of questions and very detailed answers
2. a series of study guides with flow charts and mnemonics
3. a hotline to report possible errors or questions/comments
4. detailed test-day advice
5. flashcards and computer-simulation programs (we have extensive experience in programming)

we are also thinking of creating a possible study guide game that could be incorporated with the ipod. it could be a little electronic flashcard application for you to review basics :)

anyway, lemme know what you guys think. thanks!

Go for It!

Members don't see this ad :)