A new low for our profession!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simon1984

Reaction score
A new low for our profession!
And more to come!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I think it's pretty funny. They could have easily substituted any medical profession in there.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL. Like the dentist in the video, I also have other jobs in additional to doing ortho full time. I am glad ortho is an easy job that gives me so much free time to do other things. I currently work as:

A dental assistant: I can do all the chairside work. I can take x rays and photos. I can bag and sterilize instruments. I order all the ortho supplies myself. Because everything can be ordered online, I don't have to be at the office. I can order supplies while waiting for the wife to shop, for the kids to have piano lessons etc .....net32, ebay, Amazon are my favorite sites. BofA card gives me 3% cashback for all the online orders.

A lab technician: I make all the ortho appliances in house....and save at least $3k/month in lab fees. The patient can get the RPE, quad, bite plate etc in less than a week.....no need to worry about the separators falling out. I can pour impresions. I can solder. I can trim and polish the acrylic.

A handyman: I can fix a leaky pipe, change broken dental equipment parts, install a storage self, fix a broken tile etc. In the past, I had to pay a dental tech $150 to come in 2-3 times in a year to the fix the leaky 3-way air/water syringes for all my offices. Now, I can just replace the whole air/water syringe, which I purchase on Ebay for $8 (SKYSEA Dental 3 Way Air Water Spray Triple Syringe Handpiece 2 Nozzles Tips 691534030337 | eBay), by myself. I learn everything from watching youtube.

A janitor: I clean and mop the office's floor whenever one of my F/T assistant is sick or on vacation.

I work at home: I print all the ortho forms and patients' photos at home. To control the ink cost, I refill the ink cartridges myself....it's actually fun to do this. The only outside printing company that I use is Vista Print...for my business cards and referral cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream before, during, and after dental school have always been to open a roach coach similar to the one in this video. Anyone been to the Halal guys in NYC in Times Square? Their income put typical dentist salary to shame. I know someone who make $300,000 annually in cash, selling sliced watermelon near the Statue of Liberty!

• Wow
Pfffft, $100k in dental school debt?

Reactions: 1 user
Try 350+K\

Edit: I also see nothing wrong with this ad, it's very true. I drove for Uber all through Dental school, and worked as a dental assistant through the first year, even during reidency I'm hustling with side gigs and looking for every opportunity to make some extra money

If Instacart was a thing when I was in ortho residency, I would have been so good at it. In my free time I used to roam Publix, Kroeger & Harris Teeter for fun because I literally had nothing else to do. But people still shopped for their own groceries back then so instead I got a job pulling teeth out of a (very nicely equipped) trailer.