A non-Jewish applying to TUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ingridska

KCUMB 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am not affiliated with any organized religious group and I applied to TUCOM. I believe they don't discriminate based on religion or anything like that, but will they look down on me because I am not Jewish? Do Jewish students have an advantage? What is the deal, really? I am just a bit confused.

Members don't see this ad.

ingridska said:
So, I am not affiliated with any organized religious group and I applied to TUCOM. I believe they don't discriminate based on religion or anything like that, but will they look down on me because I am not Jewish? Do Jewish students have an advantage? What is the deal, really? I am just a bit confused.
They have a lot of asian students there and they're certainly not Jewish. I don't think you'll be disadvantage.

ingridska said:
So, I am not affiliated with any organized religious group and I applied to TUCOM.
You'll fit right in.

At times I'm discouraged at how few people embrace religion and spirituality in our class. How do they keep sane during block exams? :confused: :scared:

But to answer your question, yes, it is Jewish sponsored and we observe the Jewish holidays and the Sabbath, but we also have a CMDA (which I'm proudly a part of), LDS house, etc. Our Dean of Student Affairs is a Rabbi who does wonderful things for our student body and the food on campus is kosher. Other than that you will never feel like you're at a 'Jewish' school. I'd say only 10% at most of the students are Jewish.

Members don't see this ad :)
ingridska said:

No one looks down on anyone here at Touro Nevada. We are in fact very diverse. We do get all of the Jewish holidays off!! This made for some interesting weeks this year when we had multiple Tuesday and Wednesdays off during the week. We do have a kosher cooler for events with food. Kosher pizza without sauce takes some getting used to but it makes for a quick filling lunch.

Good luck!

Nik

Let me add to Nic's reply, here at Touro Nevada and I'm sure at Touro Mare Island it does not matter AT ALL if you are not jewish. A very small percentage of the students currently going there are, so that alone should tell you everything. Good luck getting in wherever you feel most comfortable!

ingridska said:

At my interview, Dr. Haight said the largest religious population on campus is actually LDS. So I wouldn't worry!

and, they let me in- pagan tree worshipper that I am!