A Nurse becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asilanna

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an increasing number of nurses pursuing their medical degree? And if so, how does nursing play into one's application process into medical school?

Anna

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a nurse? The reason I am posting to your statement is because I am a nurse who has decided to go to medical school (or should I say they school decides if I will go to medical school
smile.gif
When asked: how does this play into your application process. You asked a very good question. I did some research on my own, for my purposes, to find out the same thing. There was one doc who said "It might hurt you chances, but most likely won't." Then there were several docs to said that if you GPA and MCAT are good the nurse background helps you a lot. I talked with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of the medical school I plan to go to, he said that many docs are proactive toward a nurse applying to medical school. He said "As a nurse you fling around bed pans and still pursue medicine, you (nurses) really have a good idea about the medical career. He did not mean the bed pan thing as an insult, he did also support the fact of the many other things nurse deal with. So to answer you question, being a nurse does help your chances. Remember though, GPA and MCAT are more important because that shows that you have the knowledge capacity to handle medical school. One more thing the Assistant Dean said was that the one thing all the admission committee looks for is the fact that you have made a life decision. He went on to say that he knew of a guy (very smart), did awesome first two years of medical school. Then he failed out because he didn't want to be a doc anymore. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information.
Currently, I am an ICU nurse who just graduated from nursing school last year. I have a year left on prereqs. for medical school and plan to take my MCAT soon.
After talking with many of the ICU MDs on my floor, I feel confident that my ICU nurse experience will help me (a little) with my applications.

Why would being a nurse work against you in becoming a medical doctor????