A-Nuth-a Cali Pharm School? Really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
A couple months back, I received a form letter from a new pop-up pharm school, AUHS, sent out to all CA RPhs, informing us of the bright future of pharmacy and how new grads from their program will be the ones to actualize improved patient care and an expanded scope of practice. Mind you, that is the mantra of nearly every new pharm school to date. In just the last five years in SoCal, prior to which time there only existed four schools--UCSD, USC, Loma Linda and Western--there are now several more: Chapman, Keck, West Coast, MBKU...and now this.

IMHO, the only "market" in question here is the market for students, and for professional educators. It continues to astound me that educators who have no personal experience in the field of pharmacy can make up the bulk of the pharm school professoriate. That the market is well beyond saturated means nothing to the new professor; his or her job is to educate, not to hire. The SoCal "market" of smart, talented, young, (especially asian) kids is like a vast deposit of oil and gas ripe for the fracking.

I would implore my fellow PharmDs to sign petitions to shame these schools, but I'm afraid it has now become a lost cause. I don't foresee the trend reversing any time soon.

As for patient care, aside from immunizations, the expanded scope of practice is a hoax. Who gives a **** if I can write for OCs and smoking cessation, especially if I'm not getting paid for it? Besides, increased responsibilities require time and care; something there is a paucity of in the retail setting. So, just as the Air Force has commissioned officers in the desert Southwest piloting drones over some mideastern village, maybe we too can someday pilot those Rx deliveries from the local ABC pharmacy corner store. Wow, now that's delivering patient care!

Be forewarned all incipient pharmacy applicants--there is no pharmacy job market. There is only a market for a growing national student body and its commensurate exponential load of student loan debt. You are the market. Caveat Emptor.

Members don't see this ad.

Opening a pharmacy school is guaranteed money. Pre-pharms think we're all liars and trolls when we talk about the job prospects.

Reactions: 1 users
A couple months back, I received a form letter from a new pop-up pharm school, AUHS, sent out to all CA RPhs, informing us of the bright future of pharmacy and how new grads from their program will be the ones to actualize improved patient care and an expanded scope of practice. Mind you, that is the mantra of nearly every new pharm school to date. In just the last five years in SoCal, prior to which time there only existed four schools--UCSD, USC, Loma Linda and Western--there are now several more: Chapman, Keck, West Coast, MBKU...and now this.

IMHO, the only "market" in question here is the market for students, and for professional educators. It continues to astound me that educators who have no personal experience in the field of pharmacy can make up the bulk of the pharm school professoriate. That the market is well beyond saturated means nothing to the new professor; his or her job is to educate, not to hire. The SoCal "market" of smart, talented, young, (especially asian) kids is like a vast deposit of oil and gas ripe for the fracking.

I would implore my fellow PharmDs to sign petitions to shame these schools, but I'm afraid it has now become a lost cause. I don't foresee the trend reversing any time soon.

As for patient care, aside from immunizations, the expanded scope of practice is a hoax. Who gives a **** if I can write for OCs and smoking cessation, especially if I'm not getting paid for it? Besides, increased responsibilities require time and care; something there is a paucity of in the retail setting. So, just as the Air Force has commissioned officers in the desert Southwest piloting drones over some mideastern village, maybe we too can someday pilot those Rx deliveries from the local ABC pharmacy corner store. Wow, now that's delivering patient care!

Be forewarned all incipient pharmacy applicants--there is no pharmacy job market. There is only a market for a growing national student body and its commensurate exponential load of student loan debt. You are the market. Caveat Emptor.

WELL S**T IN MY FLAT HAT!!! ANOTHER SCHOOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Opening a pharmacy school is guaranteed money. Pre-pharms think we're all liars and trolls when we talk about the job prospects.

Bro there is nothing you can say, im over it. They are too young to understand the world. Academia keeps them occupied until ..........uh oh.....where are all the jobs?? lol back to mommy and daddy's basement...deferment....

Reactions: 1 user

Bro there is nothing you can say, im over it. They are too young to understand the world. Academia keeps them occupied until ..........uh oh.....where are all the jobs?? lol back to mommy and daddy's basement...deferment....

"But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

Reactions: 1 users
"But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

My favorite scene from the Matrix! I bought the soundtrack just for the Clubbed to Death track.

Reactions: 3 users