A Pact Against MD/DO Trolls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I hereby choose to:

• Total voters

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on Static Line's good post, I was motivated to create this pact.

By selecting "I am signing this pact", you are agreeing to 1) ignore trolls who seek to irritate everyone in this forum through insult of the DO degree, 2) simply direct legitimately confused individuals to the FAQs, or 3) type nothing or "troll" and/or report the post to the moderator.

The posts have gotten progressively negative on SDN and it is largely due to a rash of disguised MD/DO threads. Frankly, I've become increasingly bitter about reading the pre-osteo forum b/c of these. This is an attempt to stem these threads.

Failure to adhere to the pact will result in public humiliation.:beat:

Members don't see this ad.

Haha DAMN you didn't make it anonymous. Oh well, just kiddin about my vote :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, can I type "troll" and then add all the mean smileys....like this:

TROLL!!!!:beat: +pissed+ :spam: :barf: :thumbdown: :mad: :smuggrin:

You guys are taking this **** way too seriously...

Yes people come here to troll. But people also come here for information... and some of the discussions that spring out of MD v. DO threads have actually been helpful.

There are some really nice and helpful people on this board, but as of late I've noticed that everyone seems to be extra defensive. This herd mentality of branding people a troll and refusing to answer any question that might lie in the FAQ isn't going to sell the osteopathic philosophy to any board newcomers. Frankly, I'm frustrated with Pre-Osteo. I'm preparing to start DO school, I pop in here from time to time to see if there's any threads worth reading or replying... maybe any advice I can supply and I get chewed out b/c some year 4 DO student mistakes a comment I make about something else as disparaging OMT.

Summary: Everyone take a few deep breaths, loosen your sphincters... lighten up.

You guys are taking this **** way too seriously...

Yes people come here to troll. But people also come here for information... and some of the discussions that spring out of MD v. DO threads have actually been helpful.

There are some really nice and helpful people on this board, but as of late I've noticed that everyone seems to be extra defensive. This herd mentality of branding people a troll and refusing to answer any question that might lie in the FAQ isn't going to sell the osteopathic philosophy to any board newcomers. Frankly, I'm frustrated with Pre-Osteo. I'm preparing to start DO school, I pop in here from time to time to see if there's any threads worth reading or replying... maybe any advice I can supply and I get chewed out b/c some year 4 DO student mistakes a comment I make about something else as disparaging OMT.

Summary: Everyone take a few deep breaths, loosen your sphincters... lighten up.

Whatever that's right you drop in here from time to time. You don't deal with the daily barrage of idiots purposely pissing everyone off. This isn't out of anger or malice or vengefulness... if someone legitimately has a concern it is only wise to defer them to literature. If they have any questions that aren't the typical "can a DO specialize" "are DOs subservient to MDs" etc... then we will answer them.

It's not about being tense, it's about answering mindless questions ad-nauseum. We're premed -- I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to research before asking questions. It's a waste of everyone's time.

:thumbdown:

And you're right... there rarely is anything worth reading anymore bc everyone posts in threads about defending DO or defending OMT or other mindless stuff that has been discussed on SDN since its beginning. This is a measure to make the content of this forum better... I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle.

Well, most of the discussion in pre-osteo and pre-allo seems to be about how to get into medical school. Almost no one seems interested in discussing why or whether they should go into medicine, what are their aspirations and dreams, what they think of medicine today, etc. It's rather boring after a while.

The premedical forums are basically a series of "what are my changes" threads. When someone posts an MD-vs-DO thread, at least there's some discussion about medicine that ensues, though it quickly degenerates into a flamewar.

oldpremeds.org has a lot more discussion about the "why's" of it all; generally people who have been in the working world for a few years and have had time to think about things. I wish SDN participants would post more thoughtful commends and a little less of the point scoring variety, though I do like some of the humorous exchanges.

Keep in mind that bitterness is just anger in disguise, albeit couched.

I agree with the premise of your argument and think it's a good idea to not feed trolls, albeit, admittedly, I enjoy toying with them like a cat does with a mouse from time to time. :smuggrin: ;)

I abstained from signing such a binding agreement as stated above, however, because unless people are breaking the TOS and it is clear that they are trolling, I'm going to follow my impulse on how to treat people without the need to label them one way or another. If I think that the individual is in violation of the TOS, or a serious threat to our community, I'll report their posts/threads to the moderators. Truthfully, I dislike these "MD vs. DO" threads as much as anyone, perhaps even more now that I am on my way to becoming a DO. However, I'm not going to get all worked up over their lack of knowledge, or whatnot, if it is legitimate. I pretty much only respond seriously to the posts that I think are legitimate, anyway. Nevertheless, I agree with directing the OP's to the appropriate source of information in order to answer their questions. If you look at my posts, you will see that I do this quite frequently.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that I follow my impulse on how to treat folks without the need to label them as "troll" or whatnot, because ultimately it's the moderators job to make that call. Unless I am doing something that is disagreeable to my fellow forum members, I'll keep on doing what I think works. Feel free to PM me with feedback.

Thanks,

Spiced.

Keep in mind that bitterness is just anger in disguise, albeit couched.

I agree with the premise of your argument and think it's a good idea to not feed trolls, albeit, admittedly, I enjoy toying with them like a cat does with a mouse from time to time. :smuggrin: ;)

I abstained from signing such a binding agreement as stated above, however, because unless people are breaking the TOS and it is clear that they are trolling, I'm going to follow my impulse on how to treat people without the need to label them one way or another. If I think that the individual is in violation of the TOS, or a serious threat to our community, I'll report their posts/threads to the moderators. Truthfully, I dislike these "MD vs. DO" threads as much as anyone, perhaps even more now that I am on my way to becoming a DO. However, I'm not going to get all worked up over their lack of knowledge, or whatnot, if it is legitimate. I pretty much only respond seriously to the posts that I think are legitimate, anyway. Nevertheless, I agree with directing the OP's to the appropriate source of information in order to answer their questions. If you look at my posts, you will see that I do this quite frequently.

Anyway, what I mean to say is that I follow my impulse on how to treat folks without the need to label them as "troll" or whatnot, because ultimately it's the moderators job to make that call. Unless I am doing something that is disagreeable to my fellow forum members, I'll keep on doing what I think works. Feel free to PM me with feedback.

Thanks,

Spiced.

Then let me be more specific -- the word "troll" should be utilized when someone is acting in an inflammatory manner that is obvious. Those options were meant to be decided as appropriate. You would ignore or label someoen a troll if they come with a MD/DO ridiculous question. However, if they are legitimately concerned, one would expect that they be pointed toward the FAQs/Wikipedia/etc first and then if they have further questions that aren't so mundane we would want to answer them (the goal isn't to blackball new members!!!)

Then let me be more specific -- the word "troll" should be utilized when someone is acting in an inflammatory manner that is obvious. Those options were meant to be decided as appropriate. You would ignore or label someoen a troll if they come with a MD/DO ridiculous question. However, if they are legitimately concerned, one would expect that they be pointed toward the FAQs/Wikipedia/etc first and then if they have further questions that aren't so mundane we would want to answer them (the goal isn't to blackball new members!!!)

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

3) type the word "troll" and type nothing else to feed the individual.

I think that your third point should state, "report the post to the moderator; type nothing."

better yet, hit the report post button on md/do troll threads and I will make all of your wildest dreams come true
You'll ban Riker? I love you Nate! :laugh: