A perfect score?(MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jawad21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On average how many people get a perfect score a 45 or 45 T?

I asked this question on the MCAT thread, no one seems to know. I have seen a T on the essay.

I did email the question to AMCAS, but they give me automatic replay's and clam they will replay in 2 business days.

Does any one on this thread know the answer?

Members don't see this ad.

why is it even relevant?

of course people get a 45, its a standardized test so SOMEONE has to get the top and bottom score.

again, i dont see why you want to know how many get that score.

Members don't see this ad :)
TO: exmike

Ease up man, I was just curios. It's just a question.

It's possible to figure out based on the statistics that come with your score, based on the S.D. and mean. I did the math a ways back. Don't remember the exact number and am too lazy to do it again. Somewhere around 10 sounds familiar.

To: AlreadyInDebt

No man, I am from South ASIA. Don't speak a word of arabic

To: Supadupafly

Thx, for the replay man.

actually, some administrations dont have anyone receiving a 45 or even a 44 or 43 for that matter.

when you get your score in the mail you will get all of the stats on how many people got what (actually you can calculate that from the percentage and the total number of people who took the test) for each section and for the overall score for that particular administration.

The AAMC website for the MCAT has the distribution of scores to the .1 percentile mark. At 42, you become 99.9th percentile, which suggests that fewer than 50 people score at 42 or above. Trying to guess the distribution of 43s versus 45s is up to you, but it's probably in the neighborhood of a couple of 45s per administration. However, as mentioned, the exact number is pretty irrelevant. If your score in anywhere in the 40s, you are in better than the top 200 applicants, and will, based on MCAT anyway, be a super-elite applicant everywhere.

Bewitched may be right. Do the math to know for sure.

Originally posted by Jawad21
TO: exmike

Ease up man, I was just curios. It's just a question.

sorry, my troll/gunner detector was over-sensitive :D

thx again for the replay guy's.

Members don't see this ad :)
To: exmike

It's cool man .:hardy:

Jawad, you are hearby being charged for the serious crime of +pad+ . You have the right to remain silent, anything you say will and can be used against you in the SND court.

I didn't know this question would tick off some people. Relax man. If I want to ask a dumb question so be it. I see nothing wrong with the question. relax

:idea:

Only 2 or 3 people get a perfect MCAT every year.

Originally posted by exmike
why is it even relevant?

of course people get a 45, its a standardized test so SOMEONE has to get the top and bottom score.

again, i dont see why you want to know how many get that score.

Not true. For the april MCAT the max was 42. That is the 99.9%tile.

Rocco

I dont think that 42 was the max in april. Those numbers are posted rounded to the nearest .1%. So, Im thinking there were scores higher than 42... just less than .05% of the test takers.

I actually got a 45 in my MCAT, I received a special certificate in the mail too...:rolleyes:

*The MCAT is not a fullproof predictor of medical school success*
Grades and time management are taken into account too, I think the benefit of the MCAT ends after you top 35-36.

Then it's just gunnerism and scholarship wooing from med schools (likely WashU)...:D

Originally posted by Lab-Rat21
I actually got a 45 in my MCAT, I received a special certificate in the mail too...:rolleyes:

Grades and time management are taken into account too, I think the benefit of the MCAT ends after you top 35-36.

Then it's just gunnerism and scholarship wooing from med schools (likely WashU)...:D

45s have become more rare since you took the exam. Before last year, the high score for VR was "13-15," meaning that what today would be a 43 or 44 would be a 45 before 2003, if you breakdown were to be 13 or 14 in VR.

You can't really compare pre-2003 to post 2003, and my understanding for 2003 was that the top score was sent on score reports (I never saw my hard-caopy score, because I moved and didn't forward my address), and the tops were 42 and 43 in April and August, respectively. Many people have seemed to confirm this, though I can't confirm it personally.

Actually a 42 was the highest score on the MCAT in April, according to people at the Princeton Review (although I don't know how accurate they are).

For that administration, the 99.9 percentile was a 41, and the amount of ppl who got above that was 0.0 percent (so I'd guess at max, .049 percent students got a 42, so like 12 ppl at the most?).

-Ice

I read something on the Columbia P&S bulletin board, from a med student there, that he/she got 43-45 on the MCAT (That was when Verbal was 13-15). He/she said he/she got to attend a special ceremony or something, and there were about 15 people at that ceremony. So there you got, pre-2003, about 10-15 people. Post-2003, probably half of that.

as grades and test scores go up year after year, how long do you think it'll take for a 40+ on the mcat to be viewed as a 30 by today's standards?

isnt that scary? id say about 200 years or so. but that doesnt matter because most of us will all be dead--except for the children from the few of those who will have enough money from their radiology salary that pays 2.something million a year (salary based on inflation, im just ballparking here.. ) that can afford cryogenic suspension

hehe..

42 was NOT the max score for the April administration last year. I took that exam, and the accuracy of the score report is down to .1%. Thus, if the number of people who scored say a 43 is LESS than .1% of the testing population, then 43 would register as 0.0% on the score report, in spite of the fact that a few people actually scored a 43. The bottom line is that several people (probably on the order of 2-3) earn perfect scores on the MCAT every time it's administered. Three people out of 35,000 is considerably less than .1%, so these people (their social maladjustment and all around freakishness notwithstanding) wouldn't even register on the score report.

The distribution of each score is done per subject, not per the whole test, as I recall. If that's the case, then you have no idea how many people get the max because being in the upper .1% of whatever it is doesn't guarantee that you'll do the same for the other subjects.

Originally posted by kmnfive
as grades and test scores go up year after year, how long do you think it'll take for a 40+ on the mcat to be viewed as a 30 by today's standards?

isnt that scary? id say about 200 years or so. but that doesnt matter because most of us will all be dead--except for the children from the few of those who will have enough money from their radiology salary that pays 2.something million a year (salary based on inflation, im just ballparking here.. ) that can afford cryogenic suspension

hehe..

Acutally, since the exam is scored on a bell curve it will always have the same mean score. The MCAT is unlike the SAT where the score has been increasing since it is not graded relative to the same group of test takers.

Originally posted by MacGyver
Only 2 or 3 people get a perfect MCAT every year.

I think even this number is high. I would be surprised if even one person got a perfect score since the new format came out (where verbal is scaled up to 15 instead of 13-15).

Coops

Originally posted by ice_23
Actually a 42 was the highest score on the MCAT in April, according to people at the Princeton Review (although I don't know how accurate they are).

-Ice

I know for a fact that 42 was NOT the highest score for April 2003 MCAT. ;)

Coops

Originally posted by owusu-dentist
Jawad, you are hearby being charged for the serious crime of +pad+ . You have the right to remain silent, anything you say will and can be used against you in the SND court.

LOL:thumbup:

I actually know a guy who got a 43. And get this: he didn't even go to med school; he just wanted to keep his options open. He's now an engineer.

Jeesh.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
I know for a fact that 42 was NOT the highest score for April 2003 MCAT. ;)

Coops

LOL, my bad. I didn't know we had someone who had a higher score on SDN! :)

TPR people must be talking out of their backsides then....:)

-Ice

Originally posted by elias514
(their social maladjustment and all around freakishness notwithstanding)

lol, thats rather bitter isnt it?

Originally posted by facted
The distribution of each score is done per subject, not per the whole test, as I recall. If that's the case, then you have no idea how many people get the max because being in the upper .1% of whatever it is doesn't guarantee that you'll do the same for the other subjects.

finally. thank you.

Originally posted by R_C_Hutchinson
finally. thank you.

for 2002+ AAMC does release the scores as a composite. A 41 already puts you at the 99.9th percentile. Questionable if anyone gets a 45. That also means about 500 people scored between at 41-45. So it is possible... however rare and unlikely it is.

ex-mike: where did you find the information on percentile for composite scores? I'd love to take a look, I'm not doubting you or anything.

Originally posted by klonoff
ex-mike: where did you find the information on percentile for composite scores? I'd love to take a look, I'm not doubting you or anything.

www.aamc.org

MCAT section.

Originally posted by Rose122
Acutally, since the exam is scored on a bell curve it will always have the same mean score. The MCAT is unlike the SAT where the score has been increasing since it is not graded relative to the same group of test takers.

contrary to popular opinion, the exam is not scored on a bell curve. it is a standardized test and not curved to any particular group of test takers. consequently, it is quite possible for the mean score to vary.

Originally posted by Lab-Rat21

why is it that i think that someone who scored 45 on the mcat would know how to spell foolproof?

ex-mike: Thanks, I'm somewhat familiar with the aamc website. :) However, I can't find the composite data you were referring to. I found this:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/pubs.htm

where percentiles are given for each particular section based on test date. If you could be a little more specific, that would be most appreciated.

I don't think scoring a 39 or a 43 is statistically significant from each other. over 40 "sounds" nice tho.

36+ is barely significant. almost all schools stop caring once you're 33+.

Originally posted by thewebthsp
I don't think scoring a 39 or a 43 is statistically significant from each other. over 40 "sounds" nice tho.

36+ is barely significant. almost all schools stop caring once you're 33+.

I would say each point only matters when you are below 36. Its likely schools group by: <30, 30-33, 34-36, 37+ (or if they are anal, perhaps 37-39, 40+).

The reason I say that each point matters less after 36 is that the percentiles start being small, and an errant question here or a specific administration might account for it. Plus, I think med schools have better things to look at than MCAT, after they see students have mastered the material.

Thanks Mr Reddly! And now I've found the source of my confusion. "for 2002+ AAMC does release the scores as a composite" <-- I interpreted this to mean that it was available for the year 2002 (I took it August 2002), but it's only available 2003 (and later after tests are taken this year). Simple misunderstanding on my part.

Upon comparing the individual percentiles of each section from my date and a date where the composite percentile is given (I'd rather do this than get ready for work right now, lol), I think it's safe to say I can reasonably use the composite percentile from the latter test without overrepresenting myself. :) I wish I'd known about this earlier, it's a pain to have to describe the entire grading process every time someone (family usually) asks how I did on the test.

Originally posted by coachB
why is it that i think that someone who scored 45 on the mcat would know how to spell foolproof?

I think I sense some jealousy over there. We all make typos when we're typing fast, it has nothing to do with how well you did in your MCAT.

Hi all.......

The lowest cumulative score that I heard of was a 21, a close-personal-friend of mine (7vr, 6PS and 8 BS). In addition I knew someone who got a 3 on their verbal score.

I personally, got a 5 on my verbal the first time I did the MCAT but English isn't my first language and it wasn't for the two people above either.

Highest score was mid-30's from a few friends of mine. I don't know anyone who got in the 40's though.

Originally posted by ocean11

Highest score was mid-30's from a few friends of mine. I don't know anyone who got in the 40's though.

Over 40 is rare. I know someone who got a 39 (Got into UCLA and UCSF), and another person who got 41 or 42 (Applying this year).

There are quite a few posters on sdn with 40+ scores. Seeing high scores on sdn makes them seem less rare. I only personally know one person with a 40+... that person is now MSTP at UPenn.

tf

Originally posted by ocean11
Hi all.......

The lowest cumulative score that I heard of was a 21, a close-personal-friend of mine (7vr, 6PS and 8 BS). In addition I knew someone who got a 3 on their verbal score.

I personally, got a 5 on my verbal the first time I did the MCAT but English isn't my first language and it wasn't for the two people above either.

Lowest score for two people I know was an 18. So....its totally possible to bomb that baby bad.

The first retook it and ended up in the Carribbean and the other quit pursuing medicine.