A psychiatrist heath administrator?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nameless MD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an IMG currently taking my steps. I love Psychiatry and I'm sure it's where i want to be. But i also have interest in Health Policies and being involved in it, especially in relation to mental health which i feel keeps getting the shorter end of the stick for the psychiatrist and the patient and that better structures can be put in place for optimal mental health care delivery. This has made me strongly consider an MPH in Health Policy.

Now here's my question: Can one combine practice and health administration? I'm not sure how the American Health system functions with regard to this. Doing residency is not contestable but do i benefit from "tasting” both paths or am i restricted to choosing one or the other?

The answers to this question will help me decide if it is necessary to choose residency programs in institutions affiliated to universities where i can get a decent MPH.
 
health administration and health policy are two entirely different things. Administrators often don't do clinical work but depending on the job you may be able to negotiate time (say a half day a week) to do clinical work. Health policy there is more flexibility in doing clinical work depending on which you want to make your focus and in what way you wish to participate in the policy debate whether that be through research, working with thinktanks, consulting to governmental or non-governmental organizations, or involvement in organized medicine/psychiatry.

As an IMG I think you might find it to your advantage to do your MPH before residency. This will give you an excuse to be in the US and you can apply for residency during that time. I'm not sure I would do an MPH if you can't get in paid for through scholarships. Also don't do just anyone, most are a scam, you want to go somewhere like harvard, columbia, hopkins, UW, michigan, Emory, UNC or Berkeley. not sure i would bother going anywhere else.
Thanks for the reply. I wish to go more into health policy than administration (at least with the way you've described it) coz i believe I'll still like to be in touch with clinical practice. I'll also look into the universities you mentioned.

As an IMG I am considering MPH before residency for the same reason you have mentioned. I just want to make sure the extra time away from graduation will be worth the while and not just to have an excuse to hang around. Definitely looking into scholarships too.

I was seriously considering Yale. They have an MPH in Health Policy and the way they presented it on their website looked interesting. What do you think about them pls?