A question about reaction coupling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fish419

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reaction coupling allows for:

A. Addition of the equilibrium constants in a series of sequential steps to give a more spontaneous equilibrium constant.

B. Generation of products that would not normally be formed spontaneously.

C. Increased reaction rates due to coupling of a fast reaction to a slow reaction.

D. Formation of multimeric enzymatic complexes to decrease the overall energy of activation required.

I can eliminate C and D, but cannot quite know what is wrong with A (although I feel B is better than A). Is it because it is not "addition" but "product of equilibrium constants"?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reaction coupling allows for:

A. Addition of the equilibrium constants in a series of sequential steps to give a more spontaneous equilibrium constant.

B. Generation of products that would not normally be formed spontaneously.

C. Increased reaction rates due to coupling of a fast reaction to a slow reaction.

D. Formation of multimeric enzymatic complexes to decrease the overall energy of activation required.

I can eliminate C and D, but cannot quite know what is wrong with A (although I feel B is better than A). Is it because it is not "addition" but "product of equilibrium constants"?
Thanks!
yup, product of the reaction constant BUT ADDITION of the thermodynamics variables such as Delta G,H or S. Don't confuse the two.

Reactions: 1 user