A question for current DO students

Started by NMH2001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pre-D.O. student and I am having a VERY dificult time 1.) finding a DO in my area and 2.) finding a DO willing to allow me to shadow him/her.

I wanted to get some suggestions as to what methods you used to find a DO. I have already contacted the school in my state (NYCOM) and there is only one DO alumni in my area. I've tries the AOA website and the phone book!! HELP!!! 😕
 
I can only assume that you are a student in the NY area. Have you tried the state AOA organization?? The one for NY is: <a href="http://www.nysoms.org" target="_blank">www.nysoms.org</a>
If not, there are other state organizations listed on the aoa-net.org. Call them up!!
Hope this helps!!!
 
I would suggest starting with health care personnel (probably MD's) you know better, and seeing if they know any DO's you might be able to contact. Especially in NY, I would imagine many MD's will have had some experiece working with DO's in the past, and some might be friends/co-workers. If they can suggest a DO, they may also be able to help you get your foot in the door by making a quick phone call on your behalf. The DO might be more receptive once he's had one of his colleagues refer you to him, and he/she may treat you a little better. This is what I did, and it worked great for me. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try posting this message on the pre-DO forum. You may get some more responses or opinions from people whom are also in the same boat. I am from NY, but living in San Diego now. I graduated college in Va. and just stumbled across a DO whom needed an office assistant. Good Luck
 
I had a similar problem of finding a DO to shadow last summer. I just opened up the yellow pages and called up all the DOs that were listed. I explained my situation and asked if I could come in and volunteer. Most of the places said that they didn't need extra help, but one place told me to come in and I am still working there right now. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
 
Get a list of DO's from the AOA web site or the phone book. Explain to them your situation thats what i did. The physician brought me in for a pseudo-interview, liked my answers, asked for a resume an wrote me a letter of rec...the rest is history....If this does not work out, call NYCOM and see if yo could arrange a meeting with one of the physicians who work in the clinic on campus...perhaps you could shadow one of them...
Dr. Brenda Connely works there, I worked with her at Long Beach Hospital where she is hew DME. She is a tremedous doctor who loves to teach and is a true advocate for students. I bet she might be able to help.....lots of luck.... :clap:
 
NMH-2001

Go to: <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org" target="_blank">www.aoa-net.org</a>

This is the AOA's webpage and on the left of the screen you will see a button 'Find A D.O.' in your area or somesuch thing. I think you'll find that this will help in your quest.

Sweaty Paul
 
NHM

Out of curiosity...where the heck in NY are you that you can't find a DO?

Just curious...I live in CT (only ~ 250 DOs in the state) and I'm near several.

Also, try checking website of local hospitals. They sometimes have a listing of their physicians and where they went to school.

Also, try contacting NYCOM and explaining to them your situation. They may be able to help.

Good luck.