a question for past columbia applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeinVI

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i heard from someone that those interviewed applicants that receive the letter from dean frantz saying "we'll keep you strongly in mind blah blah" have a better chance at an eventual acceptance, and i was just wondering how true this was. for those of you who applied to columbia before, did you get such a letter from the dean and what was the outcome?
personally, i think it's all bs...
thanx guys

Members don't see this ad.

Tein,

I received this letter during this current application cycle.

1)Its a form letter
2)I received the letter because I sent in a thank you note for the interview (I didn't interview with Frantz)
3) It doesn't mean anything, someone could come up with a statistical correlation but in the end it doesn't really mean anything

There is something that does matter. During my interview, I saw the cover of the folder that the interviewer was holding as he was waving it near my face during the conversation. The folder had my name on it and a space for "Rating". I think the possible values were I, II, or III. This is how Columbia is able to interview so many people but still differentiate between average and top candidates.

Did Frantz say anything explicitly about your chances? (I understand that he basically handpicks the class, but I wonder if you can pretty much take him at his word if he says something at all promising).