a question for those studying for MCATs now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mslee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those busily studying for MCATs now, when are you actually taking the MCATs?

Also, on a somewhat related note, do people really take only like 2-3 classes during the school semester they're taking the MCATs in? For my majors I kind of have no choice but to take at least 4 classes during the semester I plan to take the MCATs in (spring semester of 2008 some time)... and in addition I'll be in a research lab (which I feel like I'm in a bad position to discontinue for that semester since I'm just joining the lab this summer and I don't want to seem irresponsible, esp since I plan on getting a recommendation letter from the lab supervisor!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,
I am currently studying for the MCAT, more accurately I just started the beginning of this week June 3rd. I will be a junior next term in UCLA, and am trying to get the MCAT out of the way this summer. My MCAT date as of now is August 14th, but I may push it back to September if I don't feel fully prepared by late july.

To answer your question about the class load and trying to multi task with the MCAT. Some people may say that if the classes you are taking are relevant to the MCAT then it should actually be helpful. I think there maybe some truth to that, but for most part these classes teach the subject matter in much more detail that is required for the MCAT, and take precious time away from the study time you need for the more MCAT style questions.

I myself feel quite intimidated by the test (Scared ****less):idea:. I have been a straight A student and chemistry and most sciences have always come to me naturally, but hot damn, the MCAT is another animal. The Physical section is really gruesome for me, and I find that I need to spend a good amount of time working through the problems over and over and try to form techniques to deal with each of them.

As you may see I am no expert on the matter, but I would recommend dedicating a good chunk of time to studying for the MCAT, because it is as you already know a big part of your acceptance into Med School.

Anyway, I am studying 5 hours a day until Aug and I still dont know if I will be ready. So I hope that you find the time and everything works out for you, but never give up on it and find whatever that works for you.:thumbup: