SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

A question for you all ...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Dr.Inviz, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    So, I sit here in boredom and I begin to wonder. I wonder how I can be more receptive and nicer on these boards. I know I am a harsh and arrogant jerk, tool, prick, and @$$ (insert any other explicatives you may have for me here) and I'm sure I've hurt most, if not all, of you in some shape or form with my posts. So, I'm here to request tips and advice on how I may be kinder and not come off as a prick every single time. There are times I simply am not attempting to be a prick, but it does come off that way. So, I post to all of you. Any feedback provided will be taken into account as deemed fit to be. :thumbup:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
  4. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Nicer? I suggest being heavily medicated with thorazine so that you just sit and stare at the wall and drool and smile.:smuggrin:

:biglove: LOVE YOU!!!:D ;)

5. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Penal Colony
    I think Dr.mom hit it on the head.

Besides, by you trying to become a nice guy it might hold back your honestly and opinions. And we wouldn't want to take that away from you;)

6. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    Nah, I'm actually looking for some advice. Keep them coming.

7. scpod

scpod Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2005
    You remind me of one of my best friends from med school. He just doesn't stop to think how what he says affects other people before he says it. He has a really quick wit, but offends people way too often. We genuinely have to tell hin sometimes that he's just offended someone because he really doesn't realize it. We tend to forgive him, though, because we know him and we know that he doesn't really mean it.

For instance, we were out having a few drinks after this four hour long exam last week and the waitress was really curious about medical school and asked a lot of questions. At one point she turned to the group and inquired, "So, do you all think you passed?" My friend, without a single thought, replies, "I sure hope so. If not, we'll be applying for your job next week." It's been a long-standing joke since anatomy started that if you fail your tests you need to pick up an application at Subway. It was funny the first time someone said it, and it's still funny today. But, can you imagine how bad the waitress felt he said that? She was really devastated. He didn't mean to hurt her, but the implication was that when you fail in life, you end up as a waitress at Chili's-- like her.

It's easy for us to give our friend the benefit of the doubt because we know him. It's really difficult for that to happen on SDN sometimes because most people simply don't know you. Those rapid, witty responses seem to be a part of your nature...and it's hard to change things that are a part of your nature. I'm not even sure that it's something you should try to change, but I do think that sometimes you post a little too quickly without thinking about how it will affect others. Still, it wouldn't be as much fun if there weren't a few "villains" around to stir things up, right? :D

8. DragonWell

DragonWell Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Well, you asked, so...
    Here's a thought for you: why not try just STFU once in a while? :thumbup: Maybe it's not as much what you say, as how much you are saying it. How many of your 2000 post over 6 months have just been sarcastic or snide remarks, and how many have been genuine opinions?

As starting a thread like this shows, you have a need for attention. You can either get people's attention by earning their respect (ala JP, Hunter Gatherer, scpod and many others) or by being an a-hole (ala yourself so far). It's totally your choice.

9. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Penal Colony
    Dr. I where is MSC?

10. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    That's the best piece of advice I've heard so far. Will attempt to show some post-restraint. However, sometimes it is just way too easy ... :laugh:

I agree, that joke your friend made at Chili's was funny, kodak moment for the waitress though ...

11. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    Somewhere.

Actually, it's Med School Class. I'm waiting on a school, but have been accepted to DCOM.

12. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect Physician 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    My only suggestion was already given. Have some pride in what you've earned... stop being so jaded by this ****ty admissions process.

I'm more interested in that bc I think it will improve your overall mindset going into a ridic difficult first year of med school.:scared:

13. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    I've got no reason to be jaded because I don't care to think of it that way. Besides, most of my posts have nothing to do with the admissions process. However, 1st year of med school will definitely be difficult. Can't wait. :thumbup:

14. MaximusD

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    well in that case, just try to lighten up a bit. I agree with others that many of your posts tend to be quick, witty, but not well thought out... sometimes, the brutal truth is too brutal and comes off as arrogance...

but anyway, i can respect that you are considering changing your posting habits... i've been getting a little more combative in mine as well.

15. lala83

lala83 Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2006
    sometimes i start writing posts, and if starts sounding judgmental or mean, i just stop writing. i figure if i can't contribute something positive or give constructive criticism, i'm wasting my time and theirs (especially on a place like sdn, where your bound to consistently interact with people who you may not otherwise in real life). i figure, in the end, we're all just people who need advice/encouragement/support, otherwise we wouldn't be on sdn.

but YOU have been super helpful and very positive with me always!! so i have no complaints! :D

16. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Listen before you speak.

Believe it or not there are people who know more than you do. There are people who have come before you and have had the same questions that you have.

There are people who have had the same outlook and opinions as you currently have...and there are people who have changed those opinions into what they are today.

Stick to what you know.

Give people the benefit of the doubt.

Realize that you have something to offer the SDN community and unless you seize that opportunity to do so, your comments will never be taken seriously.

Understand that your viewpoint is limited by the extent of your education in a particular field. It will only grow as you progress...stop trying to look beyond what you can see and focus on what is in front of you.

17. GreenShirt

GreenShirt 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah, I feel that the longer I've been on SDN the more tempted I've become to post snarky comments b/c I get more easily annoyed with certain types of threads or posters. I guess SDN makes you cynical w/ time.

18. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    You aint kidding.

7 years for me and Im damn near crazy

19. jace's mom

jace's mom Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2006
    MDApps:
    I totally respect you for asking such a difficult question! Like a previous poster suggested, take time to read what you have written and think about it before you post. Maybe even read it aloud to see what it sounds like. On the Internet the little mannerisms with which we would say something in person don't always come across, and so it's easy sometimes to misunderstand the intent of a post. That means you have to be doubly careful how you say something. Find words that are funny...that demonstrate your tremendous spirit...without offending.

I would also suggest that you try as hard as you can to remember that other people don't see the world from the same point of view as you do. This can be difficult, especially if a certain person drives you crazy! Try to give the benefit of the doubt, and when you can't...well, maybe say nothing at all. I try to save my battes for things that matter the most to me. Ask yourself: "Would it cost me anything to keep silent?" If the answer is yes, it would cost your self-respect, then speak. If the answer is no, then take a deep breath and walk away. Sometimes it's possible to waste a ton of energy arguing, and the only person who is getting worked up is you...the other person isn't affected at all. Don't spend so much of yourself on that.

What you're trying to do is difficult; however, it will get easier with time. Shall we smack you upside the head every once in awhile to keep you on track? ;)

20. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Seriously, why do you care? You will never meet a fraction of the people that come on here and, even if you do try to make yourself a nicer person, you will tick off certain people. Give up on trying to appeal to people and just be honest and true to yourself. Unless you have absolutely no friends and are hated by all, I wouldn't suggest changing yourself for anyone. There are only a few people in this world worth changing yourself for, your family being the most important.

21. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    ahem

22. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Buy a puppy and an special needs horse!;)

23. Jamers

Dec 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Feed the horse to the puppy? ::scared:

24. MIL

MIL

Feb 4, 2007

I would like to reply to what seems to me to be a very sincere (and brave) invitation to comment.

Reading your posts, I am struck by how hard you are on yourself. You expect yourself to be an expert on all aspects of medical education and practice. But Its OK not to know everything. No one else expects it of you, so don't expect it of yourself. Many young people have a need to present themselves as confident and in control, when underneath they are full of self-doubt. This is a sort of whistling in the dark. They hope to hide from everyone (especially themselves) how scared and inadequate they really feel.
    This is completely normal and very common, so try to relax and laugh at yourself when you feel the need to judge. Admitting your uncertainties and doubts to yourself and expressing them to one or two trusted friends is very theraputic. Rather than seeking to instruct others, be open to what others have to teach you. Strive for sincerity and humility because that is the state in which true learning, growth and maturity can take place. It was brave of you to invite criticism. I wish you all the best.

25. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    Ah, that explains a lot!
    (just j/king, we're still BFFs)

26. GreenShirt

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah, but on the other hand, how constructive are snarky post for the SDN community? If you just come on here to antagonize other people, even if they're people you'll never meet, what are you adding to the conversation?

27. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    :eek: :laugh: No, just love them both and take allergy medication around them to prevent sneezing. Animals love you unconditionally and will make you happy.:biglove:

28. iproblem

iproblem Banned Banned

Mar 11, 2007
    Touche. that's no-brainer by simple rational extrapolation from his previous posts. i must congratulate him because he's finally awaken and realized his mistakes. now the question is whether he will accept the harsh reality or will he choose to ignore it like he used to......

29. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Yea, there are plenty of people who come here just for that purpose. But, for the most part, I think that it is because they are insecure about themselves. I like Dr. I and his sarcasm, but I know him better than many people around here and I know that he has a heart under all that crankiness. I have been the target of some of those nasty, "snarky" people on SDN and it is no fun. But, to be honest with you, I feel sorry for anyone like that because they obviously aren't happy with themselves. Why else would you anonymously pick on complete strangers? SDN has a lot to offer if you can look past the BS.

As for Dr. I, his bark is worse than his bite. He is a good guy and just needs some work. I will whip him into shape at DCOM and he will be happy and puppy loving in no time.:D

30. Diomedes

Diomedes Lord of the Battle Cry 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The thing about forums such as SDN is that there is little to no accountability. A person can say anything they want with little fear of any repercussions, save for suspension, but Dr. I can attest to how much of a motivator that is. Basically, on SDN many people choose to hide behind their pseudonym and say anything they like. That way, there is no one to be held responsible for the words associated with some fabricated name in cyberspace.

Personally, I think it speaks a lot more to an individual's character, what he/she says in a forum like this, where there is no accountability, than what he/she says to a person's face. It's very similar to an individual's morality when he is alone. There are individuals who act like saints when people are around and then turn very different when no one is looking. In the same degree as our actions are more telling when no one's around, I think our words are more telling when no one knows who they are coming from.

So, Dr. I, I think you may very well be aware of the impact of your words, but because there is no fear of repercussions for what you are saying, you do not restrain yourself from saying them. I certainly don't know you personally, so I could be completely off base. Therefore, I guess I'd suggest that, before you comment to someone, you ask yourself if you would make the same comment to the face of that individual.

Furthermore, I find that some people act much different in the presence of a crowd than in a more intimate setting. I have known individuals whose wit makes them a heartless crowd favorite when they are taking cheap shots at someone who is too kind and gentle to fight back. Take that same individual in a setting away from the crowd, and they turn into one of the most pleasant people you'd ever meet. The interesting part is that most of these people don't see there actions as being dishonest while they're clearly two-faced and deceptive.

Seeing as SDN is a giant audience, I'd guess the temptation to act like this would only be that much more enhanced. Again, I may be completely out in left field, but I'd suggest you ask yourself if you would say the same thing to that person's face... if you two were alone in a room where no one else would ever hear you.

If you would say it in that situation, then I can't blame you. Your words may be harsh and cruel, but at least they're honest. If you wouldn't say it in that situation, then you probably aren't really talking to that individual as much as everyone else on the forum, so it should not honestly be addressed to them. To believe otherwise would just be lying to yourself. That is, if that's the case.

I hope that helps

31. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    Excellent post, and so true!:thumbup:

32. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    How is an anonymous online friendship going to help me? I have enough real friends to say that I'm not exactly hated by all.

You say I have finally awaken and realized my mistakes - possibly so. How about you and your recent behaviors in antagonizing the DO profession? Furthermore, your post history suggests that you antagonize pre-optometry students, as well. Now, I believe all the advice before you has been validated, but you certainly do not have room to critique me.

33. Jamers

Dec 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Snarky, I had to look that one up. Your point is valid but I think it neglects the other side of the sword, namely those that take what they read on SDN FAR too seriously. A little sarcasm can be fun. Sure, if everything you post is sarcasm then maybe you are going a little too far.

34. iproblem

iproblem Banned Banned

Mar 11, 2007
    ^
    i dont think anyone would trust this guy to take any moral high ground. just check his previous posts in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=390682&page=2

absolutely sickening, downright disgusting and it damn sure showed a great deal of his character.

35. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    :laugh: :laugh:

I think 100 out of 100 SDNers would trust me over you, "doctor".

:laugh: :laugh:

Are you LOOKING to start another argument? You lost the last one...when will you learn?

36. MaximusD

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    No, I think by this point he should be able to SEE his way out of the conversation. :smuggrin:

jk... I honestly considered optometry until I realized how limited their scope of practice really was. I don't think that this point is up for contention. After 4 years, however, they make 100k+ and can easily sign a contract with lenscrafters, pearl vision, or Wal-Mart and rake that money in without much effort at all.

37. iproblem

iproblem Banned Banned

Mar 11, 2007
    when will white people like you learn from the mistakes of your ancestors? you made it as if people who are born a minority shall not become doctors because they are just too dumb or simply don't have what it takes. that's all i see from your posts that you belittle people who are of minority background and view them no better than an optometrist. i can say this without any fear of contradiction that minorities can also excel beyond being simply a OD, they can be MDs as well -evident by the numerous private practices in the united states who are run by minorities physicians and optometrists. why don't you take your hate elsewhere and SDN is no place for racial discrimination and bigotry.

38. MaximusD

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    WHAT THE ****.. Close this thread iproblem is a complete moron. There was no "racial discrimination" anywhere on this thread.

Let the record show that iproblem is a TROLL. </feeding>

39. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    Wow.

Looks like youre about to get banned.

40. Doc2007

Doc2007 Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2005
    The purpose of this forum is to help eachother getting into medical school, not to discuss race. None of us care of what one race thinks of another because we all get along until someone like you who creates an issue out of nothing.

41. iproblem

iproblem Banned Banned

Mar 11, 2007
    before you cry more please check the thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=390682&page=2

JPH knows i'm a minority student, then he proceeded to humiliate me with optometry jokes because he found out that i showed interest in optometry through my post history.

42. MaximusD

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    lol

Was it due to the fact that you are a minority or is it due to the fact that you are acting inappropriately?

43. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor 5+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Innapropriate is the wrong word. Childish and stupid is better, and whose superthin skin is going to expose himself for the moron he is. I can't wait for people like him to get in the real world. And Yes, please go into Optometry so that when the word doctor is used you will never confuse yourself with one.

I guess I'll put myself on the banned list now.

44. MaximusD

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    [​IMG]

lol

crap i mixed metaphors, but u get the idea...fixed sort of

45. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    OMG! There is nothing on this thread about race! They just don't like you and your posts, regardless of your race. Sorry, but it's true. It has nothing to with the color of your skin.

Also, I am white and take great offense to your comment about "white people learning about the mistakes of our ancestors". I am not a bigot or racist in anyway and do not appreciate you making comments like that which generalize and stereotype. I respect everyone's decision to pursue whatever path they choose in life. There are certainly plenty of minorities that have numerous high-profile, high-paying careers. There was nothing in this thread about your race and it is not right to try and make it that way. People can dislike you for other reasons that have nothing to do with your race.

(I am not saying that I dislike you or that I like you, I am just making a point that this is not a racial issue.)

46. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    LOL! I forgot that I changed my avatar back. I guess it is pretty obvious that I am white.:rolleyes: :smuggrin: :laugh: Sorry, just laughing at myself.:smuggrin:

47. iproblem

iproblem Banned Banned

Mar 11, 2007
    Now the 1 million dollar question is: does the presence of my numerous posts give these prejudiced individuals (MaximusD, Static Line, JPHazelton, Dr.Inviz) with a superiority complex in full blast the license to judge and humiliate another profession like they did in
    this post?? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...=390682&page=2

sorry if i had offended anyone but i was brought to resist and fight any oppression and discrimination toward our kind with absolute resentment and wrath.

48. Dr JPH

Feb 4, 2000
    :rolleyes:

49. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN

I had already read that thread before. No offense, but I don't see where race was ever an issue in that one either. I think that the issue is with you personally and with optometry and really has nothing to do with minorities and their capabilities. I am not picking on you. I really don't want to get in the middle of this, but I just felt that I needed to comment on this because I really don't feel that it is a racial issue at all. Maybe I am missing the racial comments, but I didn't see any. If they are there, then please point them out. Anyone has the right to dislike another person, but if it is solely on the basis of their race, religion, gender, etc., then that is not right at all.

50. MaximusD

Aug 8, 2006
    State of Delirium
    I didn't even post in that message, for the record except to say to retake the MCAT.

51. DoctorMom78

Sep 28, 2006
    Speedwell, TN
    I wonder if Dr. I will come back here before this thread gets locked....:rolleyes: :smuggrin: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.