a question party!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so these three questions all got together at a cocktail party, and now they're mingling....
question #1 has to say:
I heard alot of stuff about Barron's being good for the PAT, and I'm registered with Kaplan, so today I went to Barnes n Noble and purchased the Barron's book, it definitely goes more into depth than Kaplan in regard to the PAT. Is the 1999 Barron's book the most recent version though? Will it hurt to use this version? This is the copyright date on the book I bought and has the test really changed much since?

question #2 chimes in:
Is there a 90 day or any day time limit between when you can take and retake the DAT? I plan now to take it in July, but if I don't do too hot, I want to retake it ASAP. Whats the deal with this?

question #3:
I have a biology professor who recently has kind of gone missing in action, I can't contact him anymore, hes from another school that I do not attend anymore, and though he was helpful and obliged to write a letter of reccomendation for me at the time, he is no longer responding to my emails, even after staying in touch with him for a while. I could probably call him and try harder to get in touch, but I think to be honest, hes a bit crazy, and I don't want a recc. from someone who can't even return an email. I've decided to instead use a bio 2 professor for an LOR, a nice female professor (the only female professor I'll have for an LOR, the other 2 are guys), who knows me well from class and knows I easily got A's on all her tests, and had a strong interest in the class. Mind you the A's were recieved due to studying, so maybe not so easy. Bottom line, she knows I worked hard in her class...
We went on a few trips during that semester (spring 2003) and I was actively involved in her class. Do you think it be right to ask her for an LOR? I respect her as a professor and feel I learned alot in her class...what do you think I should do? Schedule a meeting, drop an email?

Thanks for your time guys...
Doug :D

Members don't see this ad.

1) dunno, I didn't use Barrons. wished i used something other than kaplan though.
2) yes, 90 days
3) why do you hesitate to ask her? If she knows you and you did well in her class, she's probably willing to write you a rec if she's not too busy. schedule a meeting and tell her what you need. and why does it matter she's a female prof?

thankyou all
::bump::

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchased the Barron's book when I was just a freshman in undergrad just to get a taste of what the exam would be like. Do not use theire practice exams for the other subject tests as they have TOO many mistakes. If you want extra PAT practice, then I would say it's a good resource for that. You should look into Topscore Pro. You can purchase it at Amazon.com and it's about $45 but a great investment. You only have access for 6 months however. The set-up for the exam is exactly the same which makes it great practice, but they don't provide feedback for answers when you get them wrong (only downer). Also, it is true that you have to wait 90 days in between retaking the exam. Honestly, you will do great on the first try if you feel confident. I took it in December because I wanted to leave room to take it again, but I didn't need it. Best of luck :)

I know I'm posting on my own post, but I have to agree with you all and everyone who says Barrons is good for the PAT, but HORRIBLE for all other sections...just too many mistakes! I don't know how this author aced his biology section on the DAT, I counted about 18 mistakes within the SNS. Terrible....but good PAT prep. :p