A quick question..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my deal.. I've already taken my MCAT in April and did OK, but not great(29), and I'm planning on retaking the test in August. Do you think that any schools would outright reject me based on my april score, or do you think they'll wait around to see how I do in August. Also do you think that some of them might think my April score is OK, and go ahead and grant an interview and move on with the process even before my august scores come in? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

a 29 is not a bad score by any means. MCAT scores of accepted applicants generally average around 10 for most schools, although a 29 is less competitive at the very best schools. but remember that your MCAT score is only one part of your application and that the MCAT isn't going to be what gets you into or gets you rejected from med school.

in regards to your question, you actually have to indicate on the AMCAS app that you plan on taking the august MCAT. this means that if you indicate that you plan on taking the august exam your file won't be reviewed until your august scores arrive sometime in october. this can be good or bad. if you don't have decent grades to back up your current MCAT scores or you're only shooting for top schools, then assuming your scores improve, waiting on your file may be beneficial. BUT, many people do the same or worse on MCAT retakes--plus, your file is just going to sit in every single admissions office you apply to until october while everyone else who is NOT taking the august MCAT is being offered interviews, etc, etc. so you need to weigh the pros against the cons here. realistically your score isn't going to hurt you unless your grades aren't very good.

there's plenty of posts like this but here's a quickie opinion...depends on the distribution (you'd be okay with 10, 10, 9 but under a 9 on any section is pretty shady to adcoms)...gpa, extras, blablabla all weigh in.

See, I'm in a bad situation then. I have a 7,11,11,M. I guess one more question I have is about secondaries. Do you think schools will go ahead and send me secondaries based on my april mcat scores. Because I'd like to go ahead and start filling those out before i get my august scores back. What about schools who screen before sending out secondaries.. do you think any of them would go ahead and send me a secondary?