a random question about sleep...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am a lowly pre-med and am about to take the MCAT on august 19th. I have a huge problems with sleeping, I've tried waking up at 6.am. every morning, but i still can never sleep until 4 a.m. anyway, and I have tried taking sleeping pills, but they just make me too groggy in the morning to be of any use. So, I was just wondering if you guys knew whether there are any side effects that I wouldn't know about if I simply pulled an all nighter on august 17th (thursday), and didnt sleep until 3 or 4 pm on august 18th (friday) and slept until saturday at 6 a.m. for test day. It makes sense to me, but for some reason I think it might be too harsh on your body to do such a thing before a test. So...I thought i'd ask you guys for opinions on whether this would be effective or not.

thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Avoid all caffeine.
Avoid sugar as best as you can.
Don't eat after whatever time you eat dinner.
Go to bed at a regular time each night (i.e. 10pm, 11pm, etc.)
Do not do anything in bed except sleep (and other bed-related activities). Do not read, study, play on the computer, watch TV in bed.
Sleep in a dark, quiet temperature appropriate environment.

Go see a doctor if these things aren't working. I find that the day after a bad night's sleep isn't horrible but the next day really isn't much fun. So by your plan I'd feel the worst on Saturday.

Bobblehead said:
Avoid all caffeine.
Avoid sugar as best as you can.
Don't eat after whatever time you eat dinner.
Go to bed at a regular time each night (i.e. 10pm, 11pm, etc.)
Do not do anything in bed except sleep (and other bed-related activities). Do not read, study, play on the computer, watch TV in bed.
Sleep in a dark, quiet temperature appropriate environment.

Go see a doctor if these things aren't working. I find that the day after a bad night's sleep isn't horrible but the next day really isn't much fun. So by your plan I'd feel the worst on Saturday.

thanks so much for your prompt reply. I will make sure to do everything you mentioned, and ditch the method i was previously thinking about.

thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
seth03 said:
and I have tried taking sleeping pills,

What sort of sleeping medication have you taken? There are several good medicines and I can usually get a patient sleeping w/o a hangover.

ntubebate

seth03 said:
Hi there. I am a lowly pre-med and am about to take the MCAT on august 19th. I have a huge problems with sleeping, I've tried waking up at 6.am. every morning, but i still can never sleep until 4 a.m. anyway, and I have tried taking sleeping pills, but they just make me too groggy in the morning to be of any use. So, I was just wondering if you guys knew whether there are any side effects that I wouldn't know about if I simply pulled an all nighter on august 17th (thursday), and didnt sleep until 3 or 4 pm on august 18th (friday) and slept until saturday at 6 a.m. for test day. It makes sense to me, but for some reason I think it might be too harsh on your body to do such a thing before a test. So...I thought i'd ask you guys for opinions on whether this would be effective or not.

thanks so much!

this may not be the most popular response...but...benzos work like a charm