Question about the FL law signed today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianoguy05

Slide Oracle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Pathologist here...thought I'd drop over from my usual forums to ask a practical question. As you probably know, Florida just signed into law a physician "religious liberty" bill. One of the feared consequences of this bill would be physicians (or other healthcare professionals) refusing to treat patients based upon a "deeply held religious belief" of any type (you can apply that to whatever scenario you want, but the main concern would be LGBT patients not being afforded care by some).

My question is the practicality of this...setting aside the principle issues (of which there are many), I wonder: are there any physicians who would invoke "religious liberty" in refusal to treat a given patient? Clearly we're not talking about the GYNs who fall on one side or the other of an abortion debate (no one is forcing any physician to prescribe mifepristone against their will). I'm just trying to understand what physicians would actually use this law or bill, and in what circumstances? It doesn't seem to me like it actually addresses any problems...physicians were, as best I can tell, able to practice medicine with enough autonomy to where if they were uncomfortable giving a drug or performing a procedure (for whatever reason, be it legitimate or illegitimate) they could pass off/refer to a colleague who would do it.

Not trying to start a war in the responses...genuinely trying to understand if there is a problem that this actually addresses.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Of course there are. The whole point of bills like this is to encourage discrimination against marginalized groups under the cover of religiosity which can't be rationalized with. We saw this with Trump--there was a surprisingly significant sect of closet racists/dinguses who were given a free license to openly express those beliefs that were previously held in check by social mores. Go read the anesthesia forums--there are a number of them that would refuse to provide an anesthetic for a transgender operation because of their beliefs. Desantis is their hero.

Reactions: 5 users