A real question for real people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poetic Silence

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a simple question, really, but it has a lot of passion behind it. How many times have you gone home from your shift and cried? How many times were you unable to contain yourself before even making it to the exit? How many times have you questioned your existence or dared to ask God "Why?" How many times has bitter frustration mixed with unbearable stress caused your pained spirit to release itself through the essence of tears? How many times has the burden of duty and the drive of purpose prevailed the loud voice in your mind telling you to throw in the towel resulted in silent sobs of overwhelming emotional fatigue? How many times have you questioned the path you chose to walk?

How many times?
 
it's a simple question, really, but it has a lot of passion behind it. How many times have you gone home from your shift and cried? How many times were you unable to contain yourself before even making it to the exit? How many times have you questioned your existence or dared to ask god "why?" how many times has bitter frustration mixed with unbearable stress caused your pained spirit to release itself through the essence of tears? How many times has the burden of duty and the drive of purpose prevailed the loud voice in your mind telling you to throw in the towel resulted in silent sobs of overwhelming emotional fatigue? How many times have you questioned the path you chose to walk?

How many times?

0
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Zero. I've gotten emotional while AT work in particular end of life situations. But never gone home and cried or doubted why I'm doing this. Reason? My job brings a whole new meaning to my perspective on life. Every sick child I take care of reminds me to appreciate that my own children are healthy, and to NEVER make work my most important focus. My job gives me clarity.
 
I'm a rather emotional guy. I enjoy a good cry from time to time. Particularly from movies and children's books. I'm looking forward to an emotionally demanding career.
 
🙂 I have never actually cried at work or after. But I'm a blubbering fool at the movies-- particularly Disney and Pixar. The miscarriage/death scene in "Up" for example. That scene was designed to make me bawl. A scene in "Tangled". The Mufasa death scene in "Lion King"- isn't it amazing how we divide our life experiences?
 
🙂 I have never actually cried at work or after. But I'm a blubbering fool at the movies-- particularly Disney and Pixar. The miscarriage/death scene in "Up" for example. That scene was designed to make me bawl. A scene in "Tangled". The Mufasa death scene in "Lion King"- isn't it amazing how we divide our life experiences?

The Disney scene that really got to me was from Toy Story 3. The scene where all the toys hold hands and accept their doom. Another one from Toy Story 3, the ending where Andy gives his toys away to the little girl and in the process, talks about how good of a friend Woody was to him. I cried like you wouldn't believe.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to an emotionally demanding career in pediatrics. 🙂
 
0 to all but one question. For everyone of my first 10 calls as a PICU fellow I did have transient thoughts of quitting. Not because of the emotional interaction of the patients, but rather the workload and acuity. As I have become more experienced, those thoughts have been rare.

I almost cried one night when parents left the room when we withdrew care on their child, but only when thinking that if it were my child, you couldn't get me away from the bedside with a crowbar.

I will cry for:
Les Mis
Field of Dreams
The "Quintet" which ends Act I of West Side Story.

I almost cried last night when the Yankees bullpen blew a four run lead in the eight inning. Three walks, a single and a double. Come on!

Ed
 
Uh, you want to go into peds so you can cry a lot? WTF.

While tempted to respond in a sarcastic remark, I'll instead take this opportunity to explain myself.

I'm a very touchy feely kind of man. I find I can get along with most anyone because rather than thinking of myself, I'm able to empathize with the other person. I'm able to feel their pain and truly understand them through their own life experiences by putting myself in their shoes. I want a career where I can use this unique gift to the maximum. I know my professional boundaries and I'd never let myself go in front of a patient or their family, but with my gifts, I can play a valuable role in making sure they get the care they need; mind, body and spirit.
 
Are you a medical student?

While tempted to respond in a sarcastic remark, I'll instead take this opportunity to explain myself.

I'm a very touchy feely kind of man. I find I can get along with most anyone because rather than thinking of myself, I'm able to empathize with the other person. I'm able to feel their pain and truly understand them through their own life experiences by putting myself in their shoes. I want a career where I can use this unique gift to the maximum. I know my professional boundaries and I'd never let myself go in front of a patient or their family, but with my gifts, I can play a valuable role in making sure they get the care they need; mind, body and spirit.
 
Are you a medical student?

No, I'm studying homeopathy. Just kidding. Nah, I felt more attracted to nursing. But don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for physicians and surgeons. Your history and culture fascinates me. 🙂
 
While tempted to respond in a sarcastic remark, I'll instead take this opportunity to explain myself.

I'm a very touchy feely kind of man. I find I can get along with most anyone because rather than thinking of myself, I'm able to empathize with the other person. I'm able to feel their pain and truly understand them through their own life experiences by putting myself in their shoes. I want a career where I can use this unique gift to the maximum. I know my professional boundaries and I'd never let myself go in front of a patient or their family, but with my gifts, I can play a valuable role in making sure they get the care they need; mind, body and spirit.

Sounds like the beginning of a great personal statement. Cool statement, bro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, thanks, man. 🙂

No problem.

00coolstorybro.jpg
 
No, I'm studying homeopathy. Just kidding. Nah, I felt more attracted to nursing. But don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for physicians and surgeons. Your history and culture fascinates me. 🙂

You sound as though you have the perfect temperament to fit in with most of the male pediatric nurses with whom I've worked. Their culture fascinates me as well. Mostly their scrub tops.
 
You sound as though you have the perfect temperament to fit in with most of the male pediatric nurses with whom I've worked. Their culture fascinates me as well. Mostly their scrub tops.

I can't wait for the gay nurse stereotypes and being mistaken for a physician. 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.