A Reflection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montag925

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that by this point some people have already received acceptances at different dental schools. However, for the vast majority of us, the schools that we have interviewed at will not begin notifying until tomorrow.
I came across some flash cards sitting in my room today that I used to study for the DAT. It made me think about this entire process. I use the word process, because that is what it is. For a few years now it has been my goal to get accepted into dental school, and I think that I actually have a few gray hairs on my head to show for it..
. My intention is not to ramble. If you are reading this and are expecting good news tomorrow, I want you to think back over the course of your process, from taking the DAT, to letters of recommendation, to personal statement, to way back to that defining moment where you decided that you wanted to be a dentist. Whatever news you receive tomorrow, for better or worse, think about how hard you have busted your ass to get to this point. Personally, there is a very gratifying feeling going through my head when I do so, and I’m sure it’s the same for most other people, including you..

Members don't see this ad.

Amen to that. I feel the same way

Consider me signed in on that feeling...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we have all been through our ups and downs through this process, and we made it to this point...we should be proud of all that we have accomplish and hopefully there is much more to come

I was thinking almost the same thing earlier today. Goodluck everyone, for tomorrow, and the next 4 years!

cant wait until the "process" is over!

best of luck to all:D

i remember putting in all those long hours while studying for the DAT, only for me to feel thouroughly defeated when I saw my scores at the test center...lol. But hope in the other things i bring to the table made me persevere, and submit my app. I am proud to have 5 interviews thus far out of the 9 schools i applied to, regardless of whatever outcome there is.

My journey is only beginning. I started studying for the DAT this past month, and by studying i mean chilling in the DAT discussions section. I have taken one practice test thus far and i did better then i thought. Frankly i wont be applying for another 2 years, and all this hype about dec 1 has got me anxious to see who gets in where lol. So like many, im waiting for Dec. 1 lol GLUCK to you all.

Thanks! I needed that. Sometimes I get so lost in the day to day race that I forget to take time to acknowledge all of the hard work I have put in to get to this point. It's always nice to stop and take a breath.:)

so much work and such a process is right!..... which is the why i really dont have to do it again next year :/ !!! good luck everyone

it's nice to have thoughtful threads like this one. :) kudos for posting it! :thumbup:

Great post...I was one of the lucky ones and got my acceptance on friday. When I opened the letter, I sat down in my driveway and did exactly what the OP stated. I thought about all the hours I spent in the anatomy lab, studying amino acid structures, learning physics equations, etc.... That letter really did signify the end of one stage in my life and the start of another. It's a great feeling and I hope all of you get to experience it in a few hours! Best wishes!!
Scott

thanks montag for this thread. with everyone's future being so uncertain its easy to get overwhelmed looking forward right now. Tomorrow, I think everyone ought to pat themselves on the back, take themselves out for a steak, and then hit the bar hard. no matter what.

Does anyone feel as if their acceptance was anticlimactic? jw

Well, I certainly climaxed, but after all good climaxes comes the post-coital depression. This time it was the realization of the need to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars at 6-8% APR. Wahoo!!!

i've met some very interesting people at some of my interviews... that's what i will miss most

haha thats exactly what i've been thinking...i opened my pitt letter saturday and just thought "i'm a dental student...nice...sooo, this is it?"
it's kind of a weird feeling, but anticlimactic is a great way to put it...

yeaaaaaa. i totally did. i was more excited about the UoP interivew vs acceptance. but heyyyyyy i got in to my top choice!!!! :D