• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

PDT4CNV

Physician/Surgeon
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
We are in the process of making some purchases for one of our residents clinics and I was wondering if any of you all had any thoughts on the various A-scan machines out there....ease of use, accuracy, use for dense/white cataracts, etc..

At this point we are looking at IOL Master and Sonomed...any others you all might recommend?

vrnp1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
IOL Maaster is not an A-Scan Machine and works on a different principle. It is not very good on dense cataracts.

When considering an A-Scan you need to choose one that does Immersion A-Scanning because that is considered the most accurate for difficult scans.

This link may be helpful.

http://www.accutome.com/resources/pdf/Using Advances in.pdf

Free Radicle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
PDT4CNV said:
We are in the process of making some purchases for one of our residents clinics and I was wondering if any of you all had any thoughts on the various A-scan machines out there....ease of use, accuracy, use for dense/white cataracts, etc..

At this point we are looking at IOL Master and Sonomed...any others you all might recommend?

b/f medschool, residency, I was a tech in private practice and have had the opportunity to use several machines - immersion and otherwise. I have found the easiest to use in terms of having multiple doctors with different numbers/formulas, calibration, reliability and support was sonomed. Only an opinion. There are now several machines which combine pacy and a-scan as well. For a study in med school, I had a nidek combo machine, had problems with the calibration part of it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.