1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

A-Scan machines

Discussion in 'Young Ophthalmologists' started by PDT4CNV, Jul 23, 2006.

1. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    We are in the process of making some purchases for one of our residents clinics and I was wondering if any of you all had any thoughts on the various A-scan machines out there....ease of use, accuracy, use for dense/white cataracts, etc..

At this point we are looking at IOL Master and Sonomed...any others you all might recommend?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vrnp1

vrnp1 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

IOL Maaster is not an A-Scan Machine and works on a different principle. It is not very good on dense cataracts.

When considering an A-Scan you need to choose one that does Immersion A-Scanning because that is considered the most accurate for difficult scans.

This link may be helpful.

http://www.accutome.com/resources/pdf/Using%20Advances%20in.pdf

4. Free Radicle

Free Radicle Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    b/f medschool, residency, I was a tech in private practice and have had the opportunity to use several machines - immersion and otherwise. I have found the easiest to use in terms of having multiple doctors with different numbers/formulas, calibration, reliability and support was sonomed. Only an opinion. There are now several machines which combine pacy and a-scan as well. For a study in med school, I had a nidek combo machine, had problems with the calibration part of it.