1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

A separate pharmacy section here at SDN?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by kim., Apr 23, 2004.

1. Does anybody know if there is a chance of the pharmacy forum every getting its own section here at SDN? (like the dental area) I think it would be nice to have it divided into prepharmacy, pharmacy etc. Anyway, I'm just curious since I noticed that this pharmacy forum has way more posts than the rest of the "healthcare professional forums".

:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would present this idea to some other moderators if you have a specific reason that you feel that Pharmacy needs its own section?

Are your posts not being addressed or do you feel that some things are being missed because there is not a separate section?

I think there are so many pharmacy sources on the internet and student doctor is trying to keep up. It is difficult to try to cater to all of the users on the boards, but I hope that you are finding the resources here helpful and beneficial to your career.

4. Definitely finding the resources here helpful! :) This is by far the best source of pharmacy school information I have found. I had thought it might be nice to have a section devoted to all aspects of getting accepted to pharmacy school and then a section for students that are already in. I have noticed not as many actual pharmacy students post here as compared to prepharmacy students and was thinking a separate section for the pharmacy students to discuss school itself might encourage more posts from them.

Just my 2 cents.. I know its not worth much. :laugh:

5. Brill

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I personally don't think there are enough posts to warrant dividing the forum (although it is becoming more and more popular). We seem to have a nice equilibrium the way it is now, but I think you do have a good point. It does seem like a lot of the posting here is related to pre-pharmacy and creating separate forums might possibly stimulate more discussion and might make it easier for newcomers to find information from past threads. I think it would be an interesting experiment.

6. Thanks Brill! I hope its ok that I posted about this.. I was just thinking out loud I guess. :laugh:

I have seen posts in the past encouraging students (once they've been accepted) to give back to the board and to the new students that will be coming through. I was just thinking if we had a section for prepharmacy discussions and then one for actual pharmacy students to share info that it might be really helpful. I think maybe students would be more likely to post if there was a section specifically for pharmacy school specific discussions. If there were more students posting that would mean more people to help answer pre-pharm questions and then everybody would win. :laugh: Right now the content seems mostly geared towards pre-pharmacy. Please don't get me wrong, I think the pharmacy section is great the way it is already. :)

7. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think the forum is fine the way it is. This way, the people who are already in pharmacy schools can help out the people who are pre-pharm. Just my 2 cents

8. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The people who are currently in pharmacy school don't post as often because school takes up tons of your time. Since I watch my lectures on my computer at home, I'm kind of an exception. Existing students will probably post more during the summer.

9. LVPharm

LVPharm SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If the prepharms had their own forum, I might not check that forum quite as frequently as I would the "pharmacy" forum. The way it's currently set up forces me to pay attention to all the pharmacy-related posts, whether they are from prepharms, current practitioners, or pharm students. It's better this way.

10. Caverject

Caverject Try Some Schnitzel!
    10+ Year Member

Plus its nice to have everyone lumped into one forum. We can all talk about our experiances!

11. spacecowgirl

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd like to see a separate forum too. I'd still post with the pre-pharms, but I'd like a place to discuss professional goals, opinions on what is happening in pharmacy, classes, etc.

12. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Uh, spacecowgirl, I don't see the reason why you couldn't do that now.

13. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

At first, I was totally opposed to this idea. However, with each passing day I think this seems like a better and better plan. Many of the "will I get in?" or "have you heard from this school?" threads are important to a few, select pre-pharms, but don't make much sense to current students. We are also getting a lot more posts lately. That's a good thing, but it complicates things when I'm looking for relevant threads.

14. I don't think it would be a good idea have the forums separated IF it made the current pharmacy students help the prepharm students less. For me though, if it was two subforums right there together I would definitely check both and try to help out when I could. I think SDN is going to get more and more popular as is this forum and just thought it might be helpful. Anyway, it was just a thought. :laugh:

15. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I am going to tend to agree with you. This forum to me is not a pharmacy forum at all. it is completely a prepharm forum with some pharmacy students thrown in offering a lot of advice. Perhaps a pharmacy only forum woudn't go over very well because we are all very busy and some don't check the forum when they are trying to study (mind you, not me!!!!!)

What if there was a pre-pharmacy forum added. This way, people in highschool could get advice from people in college, they could talk about their admissions etc and if anyone has any questions for current students (not "what am i going to do i haven't gotten a letter") like hardest class, how do prepare, worst teachers.. etc. then they could come to the "pham D" forum

16. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think that the questions being asked currently in the forum would still spill over into the "current pharmacy students" forum.

Personally, I don't see a problem with the way the forum is now. It's very easy to skip over threads that are pre-pharmacy related. And I don't see why pharmacy school topics couldn't be discussed between current pharmacy students now. To me, it's just a matter of having the time to post and reply. :) And as a pre-pharmacy student, I would greatly enjoy reading the threads from current pharmacy students about how the classes are, what issues they encounter, frustrations with school, or anything else of that ilk. :thumbup:

17. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

It's not like we'd lock you out dude, you're welcome to read or post whatever you'd like. :) :thumbup:

18. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That wasn't my implication at all. :D I'm saying that I encourage all posts to remain here - that in addition to congregating with the pre-pharmers, I'd like keep up with you guys, too. :) I think one forum would be simpler, but that's just my opinion.

19. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

i have a feeling that most pre-pharm students will want to stick with one forum while most of the pharmacy students would like a separate one....

20. 28657

28657 Smile like you mean it
    10+ Year Member

I agree with you there. I think it would be invaluable if two forums were created. There are many topics posted by pharmacy students that get lost amongst all of the pre-pharm posts. It would be nice if, like the allopathic/pre-allo forums, pharmacy students and pharmacists could talk about their experiences.
    None of us current students mind helping pre-pharms, it would just be nice to be able to separate the different postings. Also, it would be easier for pre-pharms to gain a hold of who is giving them advice. Sometimes it's frustrating offering advice to applicants b/c we have "been there before" and then have it antagonized by another pre-pharm's assumption.

21. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Well put. Exactly what i was thinking..