A slightly different path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wonder Woman

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been a critical care registered nurse for the last 3.5 years. My dream has always been to go to medical school. I was enrolled in CRNA school and decided to withdraw to finally persue the dream of practicing medicine. I have been looking into post-bacc programs because of the structure as far as classes and advising goes. I have none of the sciences required (gen chem, o chem, bio chem, etc), never have taken the MCAT so I am pretty much starting from scratch here. I have no publications, but did do undergraduate research. I know I need to get A's in all of the sciences and kill the MCAT, but as far as the volunteering and research goes I am not sure where do go from that point. I have volunteer hours, but should I get into something more long-term (mentoring youth, etc.). Any advice as far as what would make me a competitive applicant is appreciated. BSN GPA is 3.39 not sure about science GPA. One of many things I am worried about is I took a graduate level physio class and received a C, but took that in 2014. Also, I am open to applying to MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad.

CRNA is a pretty sweet gig around my area.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do well in your science and mcat. Sounds like the rest of your background should be enough in terms of extra stuff. If you're planning on only going to school, get involved with a club or shadowing to show active interest in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Lets be realistic here. I more than likely will not get an A in biochem, but will make sure I get a B. What GPA should I be shooting for and MCAT score? @Goro I've read some of your posts and you seem very honest so I'm looking at you here haha Also, I have read on some of these forums that some schools look down on the fact that I am a nurse and I have to have a very good reason for try to jump from nursing to medicine. Thoughts?

Also, I have read on some of these forums that some schools look down on the fact that I am a nurse and I have to have a very good reason for try to jump from nursing to medicine. Thoughts?

No to the first, yes to the second.

Nobody "looks down on you" for having been a nurse in the application process, provided you've performed well in class and the MCAT and have a strong application otherwise like everyone else. I had one negative comment said to me in an interview about it -- but after I looked at the questions asked to other people in that school's interview thread I was 99% sure the interviewer was intentionally rough just to see how I'd react to criticism. In literally every other interview it came out as a positive. Other people's mileage may vary, but I had no issues.

That said though, and touching on the second half with this, you'll need to be mindful of how your own attitude towards physicians and nurses comes out when writing your application. Having had my own draft PS scrutinized for this by a very good editor then having been a volunteer reader myself last year, this can be a danger spot. Yes, you'll need to be able to articulate why you've chosen to change professions at this point in your life, both on paper and aloud. That goes for anyone from nurses to teachers to accountants. People in healthcare professions, having been exposed to what goes on on the "inside", seem to struggle a little with making sure they articulate it without sounding dismissive or overly critical of either physicians or their current field. There's subtle language which can trip you up, and I think that's where a lot of us make mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree 10000% with my wise young colleague.

No to the first, yes to the second.

Nobody "looks down on you" for having been a nurse in the application process, provided you've performed well in class and the MCAT and have a strong application otherwise like everyone else. I had one negative comment said to me in an interview about it -- but after I looked at the questions asked to other people in that school's interview thread I was 99% sure the interviewer was intentionally rough just to see how I'd react to criticism. In literally every other interview it came out as a positive. Other people's mileage may vary, but I had no issues.

That said though, and touching on the second half with this, you'll need to be mindful of how your own attitude towards physicians and nurses comes out when writing your application. Having had my own draft PS scrutinized for this by a very good editor then having been a volunteer reader myself last year, this can be a danger spot. Yes, you'll need to be able to articulate why you've chosen to change professions at this point in your life, both on paper and aloud. That goes for anyone from nurses to teachers to accountants. People in healthcare professions, having been exposed to what goes on on the "inside", seem to struggle a little with making sure they articulate it without sounding dismissive or overly critical of either physicians or their current field. There's subtle language which can trip you up, and I think that's where a lot of us make mistakes.