A snowball's chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShoujoKakumei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm new here, obviously, and I'm only posting in the non-trad forum because I'm definately not the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed biochem major with a 4.0 GPA who's ready to take on the world to fight my way into medical school, that's for sure.. For reference, I'm 21 years old, but I have ... issues. This is long.. ish.

I was a slacker in high school - smart, but didn't work too hard. College prep classes, graduated with a decent GPA, got into college with the minimal amount of work required. Spent 2 and a half years at a state university including a summer semester abroad in Japan. During this time I was a Computer Science major, an East Asian Studies major, and an International Relations major. My GPA gradually drifted down into the 2.5 range as my mental state worsened - I developed clinical depression and became ill. I took one science class at this school - a general biology class in which I recieved a C-.

Against my better judgement, instead of taking time off school, I transferred to another school in another state to continue undergraduate education as a Sociology major since my previous university's program was not good. Unfortunately, I spent a year (and a summer semester) at that institution and completed a total of two classes - an English 2 class, and Intro to Psychology, getting an A and a C+ respectively, and failing no less than 6 other classes through simply ceasing to show up for the entirety of the semesters. My cumulative GPA at that school, not including the transfer credits from my previous work, is ... _bad_. Like, beyond academic probation, getting into single digit decimal places bad.

I am being treated by a psychiatrist for a mood disorder and clinical depression; I am med-compliant and I am now enrolled in three classes (part time) at the second institution mentioned - Abnormal Psychology (I am now a Psychology major - which I will hopefully end up completing - I was not impressed with the Sociology dept at my new school either, come to find out), Introductory Physics, and a required philosophy class. I am doing well so far this semester.

I have read stories of people coming back from bad work in the past, but generally that involves either A) either not having been _THAT_ bad in the past, or B) the 'past' being _way_ in the past. Since my case is neither of those - if I get well and stay that way, is there any hope of me even being able to salvage my GPA? I know a postbacc program is very likely in my future before I can even think the words 'medical school' in any way, shape, or form. I won't finish my undergrad degree for another 3 years, minimum, anyway - the major plus core requirements plus med-school pre-reqs is a lot of freaking credits that I don't have yet.

So, yeah. My mother keeps pushing me to become a PA instead of wanting to go to medical school, because of all this. She just wants me out of college, because people I went to high school with are graduating this year, and PAs don't go to school as long, but I just don't find that a good basis to make a career choice on. (Not that I wouldn't have to finish undergrad anyway...)

So: What would it take to get me, the ultimate screw up headcase, into med school? Doesn't have to be a great med school. Doesn't even have to be an allo med school, or a med school in the USA. I've got 3 or 5 or 7 years. Give me your wisdom. Please?

--
Jchan

Members don't see this ad.

From here on out, the responses will entail: study hard, make As, get clinical experiences, rock the MCAT. But all that, I'm sure you already know. My advice, make sure medicine is what you really want to do. For us nontraditionalists, the journey is a bit tougher with a slicker slope; so it's not an endeavor you take on if you're half hearted in becoming doctor.
Get solid experience in the medical field. Answer, firstly, if YOU want to be a doctor, if not PA, APN, nurse, ect- there are plenty of roles in healthcare/allied healthcare you can explore. The first person you need to convince that you can become a doctor is yourself.
You can't change your academic history, and you will be held accountable for it (as I have been.) But you can choose to be successiful despite your past; it's up to you. Good luck

Ok, I agree with all of the above. In addition, if you are interested in an osteopathic school, you can retake the classes that you failed. AACOMAS will use the retake grade to calculate your GPA. I did the same thing, and have a semester of 3 F's in which I did not attend one class, but didn't withdraw. It's a pain, but you'll have to own up to your mistakes and make them right. Be prepared to admit that you were a screw up, but also show that you have changed.

I think most of the advice here will be the same. Unfortunately, past mistakes follow you the rest of your life when it comes to grades and med school applications (my 20 year old F's haunted me). You'll also have to come to terms with the fact that no matter how stellar you are from here on out you may never overcome those grades to the point where you're as competitive with someone who never messed up.

SO. Four things will help you from here on out:
1. ACE the rest of your courses. Do your very best.
2. ROCK the MCAT.
3. Get FABULOUS letters of recommendation
4. Package yourself well on your applications.

You may find it helpful to contact some schools you're looking at applying to and ask for a meeting with the admissions dean. They can provide far better advice than we can.

Good luck.