A struggling pharmacy student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mass

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the first year of pharmacy. Trying to write up lab reports has become a pain. I need either a pharmacists or students advice

what is the purpose of compound tragacanth powder in making chalk mixture?
I have more questions but if someone answer this first I can move on.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the quick reply. I have been struggling to find out the use of ingrdeitns, i have looked on the net but haven't found anything. I have a few more if you could help (btw i am a uk pharmcy student)

Making sulphur lotion compound:
what is the purpose of these ingredients:
- precipitated sulphur
- quillaia tincture
- Glycerol
- Alcohol (95%)
- Calcium hydroxide to 200 ml

could you possibly tell me the use please

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the quick reply. I have been struggling to find out the use of ingrdeitns, i have looked on the net but haven't found anything. I have a few more if you could help (btw i am a uk pharmcy student)

Making sulphur lotion compound:
what is the purpose of these ingredients:
- precipitated sulphur
- quillaia tincture
- Glycerol
- Alcohol (95%)
- Calcium hydroxide to 200 ml

could you possibly tell me the use please

We made several versions of sulfur compounds a couple of weeks ago, and I found all of the uses of the ingredients using Google. Wikipedia is your friend.

We made several versions of sulfur compounds a couple of weeks ago, and I found all of the uses of the ingredients using Google. Wikipedia is your friend.

ah yes good old wikipedia, u doing pharmacy in us?

lol im in uk. Anyway had a search for sulphur lotion on wikipedia and it finds nothing.

Try spelling it sulfur.

Also, look up the individual ingredients independent of the compound that you are making. It will give you a good idea what they are used for.

God. More than half of first year is SO useless.

Tragacanth powder. I mean really.

I am actually struggling to understand basics, the lectures are so boring and i am so far behind, i feel like quitting

Try spelling it sulfur.

Also, look up the individual ingredients independent of the compound that you are making. It will give you a good idea what they are used for.

I put sulfur lotion in and nothig comes up again, can u link me directly please

I put sulfur lotion in and nothig comes up again, can u link me directly please

I'm not in pharmacy school yet (crossing my fingers over here) but could the reason that you're struggling and behind in your work be that your lazy? You're completely unwilling to do 5 minutes of reseach to look up these things. I just googled each individual ingredient and they are all there!

Members don't see this ad :)
could you also maybe look up this stuff in the USP-NF? whenever we're trying to find stuff for our skills lab thats what we are using as our references. If we ever put Google or Wikipedia as our references they would hunt us down with a counting knife

use Remmingtons or the USP Guide. Those are good guides to all these ingredients.

Keep in mind that doing an internet search in the US and one in the UK will give you completely different answers and websites.

Yeah - how about buying Remington's?

Its >$100, but you'll only buy one in your life.

Seriously, buy some standard textbooks & do your own research!

Keep in mind that doing an internet search in the US and one in the UK will give you completely different answers and websites.

finally, i think this may be the problem and I am not lazy as some of you have suggested. I have been subjected to poor teaching.

Secondly, can someone explain to me what hybridisation is

I was able to find a used current Remingtons through Amazon for $80. You can also go one edition back and it'll be fairly inexpensive.

finally, i think this may be the problem and I am not lazy as some of you have suggested. I have been subjected to poor teaching.

Secondly, can someone explain to me what hybridisation is

You can find this in any chemistry text book (general, organic, inorganic- anywhere)

Our pharmacy library had about a dozen editions kicking around; thankfully I didn't have to buy it.

I only needed to reference it in Pharmaceutics, man that was painful.

thanks for the link bonny, where in gb are you dude?

Midlands, but thinking of moving to Scotland
I liked the explanation in the link, too. I wish I had Internet at the time I was studing. Only books, and some of them very dusty.:)

anyone tell me how to work this qu out:

Calculate the theoretical ph when a mixture of 20mL 0.5 NH3 and 20ml 0.1M Hcl (PKA NH3=9.2)

Can someone take my by step by step

I could help you with it later but heading to class now. Do you not have a book with examples? Forming study groups is important and taking advantage of office hours for TA and teacher. If you really are struggling with this stuff then you should find someone to help you in person one on one so they can teach you a process, how to approach problems and see if you are making any common mistakes.

Having help online for a problem here and there is fine but if you are missing the whole concept or struggling with the whole class, people online giving you answers is not going to help you learn it will only help you up to the next assignment.

I could help you with it later but heading to class now. Do you not have a book with examples? Forming study groups is important and taking advantage of office hours for TA and teacher. If you really are struggling with this stuff then you should find someone to help you in person one on one so they can teach you a process, how to approach problems and see if you are making any common mistakes.

Having help online for a problem here and there is fine but if you are missing the whole concept or struggling with the whole class, people online giving you answers is not going to help you learn it will only help you up to the next assignment.

you dont know about this uni, if u ask for help the shout. I would rather learn online.

Wow, I've never heard of a pharmacy school not teaching/going through a single example of pH calculations, that is even something that should have been covered in your general chemistry classes. Have you gone back and looked at your old notes from chemistry?

Wow, I've never heard of a pharmacy school not teaching/going through a single example of pH calculations, that is even something that should have been covered in your general chemistry classes. Have you gone back and looked at your old notes from chemistry?

i did look at my own notes but my mind is so blank because its been 4 months since i studied due to holidays. put that aside, i emailed for help and the lecturer said , you are a student, use textbooks, i am not helping:mad:

pH calcs are one of the easiest things you will learn-I would suggest doing a google search.

ok those might be easy but stuff like w/v etc are hard. Also anyone tell me good books for the following modules

1. pharmaceutical chemistry
2. Dosage forumlation and microbiology

for me the pharm chem, I have bought myself a organic chemistry book written by bruice.

Med Chem and Organic are completely different course-since you're in the UK I'd recommend asking around for a good book to use but in the US most school use Foye's Principles of Med Chem. W/V is easy as well=grams/ml...

We did a experiment into the knee jerk reflex by use of power lab in scope mode and electrodes connected to our subject. I am wondering if anyone could give me an explanation as to why there is a difference between reaction and reflex times.

Also what on earth is a jendrassik manuvore.

Yes I will use google but I want some views from pharmacy people too.

ok those might be easy but stuff like w/v etc are hard. Also anyone tell me good books for the following modules

1. pharmaceutical chemistry
2. Dosage forumlation and microbiology

for me the pharm chem, I have bought myself a organic chemistry book written by bruice.

Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery System

Author: Ansel, Popovich, Allen Jr.

ISBN: 0781746124

We did a experiment into the knee jerk reflex by use of power lab in scope mode and electrodes connected to our subject. I am wondering if anyone could give me an explanation as to why there is a difference between reaction and reflex times.

Not to sound like a jerk, but more than half of your questions are related to pre-pharmacy material you should have learned long before now. The answer to this question is well explained in my freshman biology book. The other half of your questions are easily answered via the web, and even I as a pre-pharmacy student was able to find and get a basic understanding of these things. Don't blame it on the instructor because you're either too lazy or incapable of doing basic search/read/regurgitate type assignments.

For pharmaceutics, I recommend both Aulton's 'Pharmaceutics; the science of dosage form and design' and also Thompson's 'Guide to contemporary pharmacy practice'.

As for the pH- haven't you covered the Hendelson-Hasselbach equation yet? I'm talking about pH=pKa+ log (base/acid)
Have fun.

Not to sound like a jerk, but more than half of your questions are related to pre-pharmacy material you should have learned long before now. The answer to this question is well explained in my freshman biology book. The other half of your questions are easily answered via the web, and even I as a pre-pharmacy student was able to find and get a basic understanding of these things. Don't blame it on the instructor because you're either too lazy or incapable of doing basic search/read/regurgitate type assignments.

thats your opinion, if you cant be arsed to help or want to show off i suggest you pick another thread.

For pharmaceutics, I recommend both Aulton's 'Pharmaceutics; the science of dosage form and design' and also Thompson's 'Guide to contemporary pharmacy practice'.

As for the pH- haven't you covered the Hendelson-Hasselbach equation yet? I'm talking about pH=pKa+ log (base/acid)
Have fun.

wow ure in dublin!

thats your opinion, if you cant be arsed to help or want to show off i suggest you pick another thread.

Yeah, its an opinion a lot of people have shared in this thread. What are you going to do as a pharmacist if a patient asks you a question and you dont know the answer? Ask them to hold on while you post it here and wait for a response? This is what college is about, critical thinking and information gathering. Get out your A&P book, look up reflex and see how it works. Then look up reaction and see how it works. Compare and contrast the two. You'll find at least one very significant difference between the two that accounts for time difference.

Yeah, its an opinion a lot of people have shared in this thread. What are you going to do as a pharmacist if a patient asks you a question and you dont know the answer? Ask them to hold on while you post it here and wait for a response? This is what college is about, critical thinking and information gathering. Get out your A&P book, look up reflex and see how it works. Then look up reaction and see how it works. Compare and contrast the two. You'll find at least one very significant difference between the two that accounts for time difference.

its just frustration mate. I mean I am working so hard to try and find information etc but say I dont understand it when I read it, who am I to look for then?

Anyone know what this is and why it alters the amplitude of the reflex response?

Ok, first, you should apologize for being rude earlier. Now, try not to worry. These things are difficult for everyone the first time they try it. I assume you're going to all your lectures/labs, right? That should be the primary focus for you right now. It'll all come together eventually.

Ok, first, you should apologize for being rude earlier. Now, try not to worry. These things are difficult for everyone the first time they try it. I assume you're going to all your lectures/labs, right? That should be the primary focus for you right now. It'll all come together eventually.

I am sorry. Yeah I have been going to every lab, lecturer, seminar except the teaching is bad. its all powerpoint.

Most lectures are primarily powerpoint, you do need to do a bit of work on your own. What I would do in your situation is go to the library and have a browse around in the relevant section, find a book that's relevant to what you need (the books named before in this thread are good), get yourself a cup of coffee and get a general overview of the course, that way you'll know how things relate to each other a little more. For example, finding the pH is integral to figuring out at what pH a drug is the most stable at which in turn relates to the expiry date and storage and...well, you get the idea. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me, I'll help you out.

A note for the others: In Ireland/the UK, you get a BScPharm-- essentially, you do your undergrad and postgrad together. This is why these are undergrad questions- you do all that in your first year. I'm cutting him a bit of slack because I know how stressful it is in first year when you get all these things thrown at you that you didn't know before and you don't really know what resources are out there for the course.

mass: pharmpedia for the win. Google it.

Start forming study groups for your classes. In a group of 4 or 5 someone is bound to understand a concept and be able to explain it to everyone else.

Read the chapter ahead of time.

If the lecture is totally powerpoint, bring your textbook with you to class. Any definition, picture, or diagram that's right out of the book simply highlight it in your text. You shouldn't be taking notes on things you already have documented. Notes should be used for when the instructor explains things differently then the book, points out things you definitely do/don't need to know, easy way to remember things, etc. This is where I see a lot of students doing poorly. They spend their entire time in lecture furiously scribling notes and not really listening to the concepts being presented by the instructor.

Start forming study groups for your classes. In a group of 4 or 5 someone is bound to understand a concept and be able to explain it to everyone else.

Read the chapter ahead of time.

If the lecture is totally powerpoint, bring your textbook with you to class. Any definition, picture, or diagram that's right out of the book simply highlight it in your text. You shouldn't be taking notes on things you already have documented. Notes should be used for when the instructor explains things differently then the book, points out things you definitely do/don't need to know, easy way to remember things, etc. This is where I see a lot of students doing poorly. They spend their entire time in lecture furiously scribling notes and not really listening to the concepts being presented by the instructor.

the problem is they give u gaps to fill in so when u attend lectures, you have to fill it in, think about what is being said and try and take it all in. This is why I am doing so badly. the thing about all this is my blood pressure has gone to 140:(

anyone tell me how to work this qu out:

Calculate the theoretical ph when a mixture of 20mL 0.5 NH3 and 20ml 0.1M Hcl (PKA NH3=9.2)

Can someone take my by step by step

pH = pKa + log (basic/acid)

I am sorry. Yeah I have been going to every lab, lecturer, seminar except the teaching is bad. its all powerpoint.
I feel your pain. PowerPoint lectures are ridiculous. They love to cram the slides with a ton of information. The worst is when they read off the slides, and then they're like, "Well, you have the notes. What's the problem?"

The problem is that they're too lazy to teach anything in a more conducive manner. This isn't some CE class where I can sit back, relax, listen, eat my finger sandwiches, and drink my punch. I'm actually required to learn all of the information.

This week I have the wonderful opportunity of completely reorganizing 100 PowerPoint slides into outline format so that I can get an "A" or "B". Otherwise, it would take twice as long to study, and then I'd make a "C".