A successful reapplicant interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalalaaaaaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I'm a 3rd time reapp (yikes), and I just got my one and only II for this cycle at Jefferson which I applied to once before and didn't get a II. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how to be successful as a reapplicant during an interview.

Some specific questions I have are:
Should I be open about having not been accepted before, or should I not bring that up unless they ask directly?
Will they look at last years application and potentially ask me questions about it? (in other words should I be familiar with that personal statement since it is significantly different)
Is it bad to mention that this is my only interview? I think Jefferson is a perfect fit for me, and is one of my top choices anyways, but I feel like if I say that now it might be construed as it being my top choice because it is my ONLY choice. haha

Honestly, any advice would be great. I'm trying not to get too excited because I'm studying to retake the MCAT in May and I don't want to make the mistake of not studying hard enough becuase I think I'll get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I am by no means an expert but I don't think it would be a good idea to mention that this is your only interview...if it comes up just mention that they are your top choice. Good luck!

Hi everyone!

So I'm a 3rd time reapp (yikes), and I just got my one and only II for this cycle at Jefferson which I applied to once before and didn't get a II. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how to be successful as a reapplicant during an interview.

Some specific questions I have are:
Should I be open about having not been accepted before, or should I not bring that up unless they ask directly?
Will they look at last years application and potentially ask me questions about it? (in other words should I be familiar with that personal statement since it is significantly different)
Is it bad to mention that this is my only interview? I think Jefferson is a perfect fit for me, and is one of my top choices anyways, but I feel like if I say that now it might be construed as it being my top choice because it is my ONLY choice. haha

Honestly, any advice would be great. I'm trying not to get too excited because I'm studying to retake the MCAT in May and I don't want to make the mistake of not studying hard enough becuase I think I'll get in.

My experience with the was from Temple. During my student interview it did come up that I was a re-applicant, and I just admitted my mistakes last cycle (late app, not confident) and discussed how I'd improved (much earlier app, steps taken to improve confidence). The interviewer seemed impressed, and even gave me some good life advice for how to overcome internally-derived adversity. My faculty interviewer didn't bring it up at all, and was simply very impressed with my knowledge of the school.

That being said, the interview is really your chance to sell yourself. Drop the caveats and act like you're already admitted, not in the "I'm above this" sense but in the "I am worthy of this and am a good fit for the school" sense. Spend your time singing the praises of Jeff and how you can contribute to their strong track record of training leading clinicians, yadda yadda yadda. If you're questioned about a weakness or your reapplication, spin the hell out of it. If you don't have to light right out of town, head over to Moriarty's on Walnut and get yourself a beer. You'll do very well, and you will deserve a drink and some giant wings.

Reactions: 3 users