A Surgeon's Story...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Truly an inspirational story. I've never been to his place of birth, Mexicali, but it's probably no better than Tijuana- my hometown

Members don't see this ad :)
I first read about him in Reader's Digest. Still a good read and inspiring story. :thumbup:

I first read about him in Reader's Digest. Still a good read and inspiring story. :thumbup:

I think the immigration laws in this country are harsh, especially for those that are highly skilled that wish to stay here lawfully.

I assume by now, he is in the country legally. I wonder how his stay in the US was legalized? My GF is here legally from Europe to do residency and its gonna be a pain in the ARSE if she wants to stay here after residency.

Q. DID YOU FIND HARVARD TOUGH?
A. Not really. Compared to working in the fields, it was easy.

Tell that to the legacies...

That's amazing, must have been hard work keeping up that GPA in your second language.

At the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa has four positions. He is a neurosurgeon who teaches oncology and neurosurgery, directs a neurosurgery clinic and heads a laboratory studying brain tumors. He also performs nearly 250 brain operations a year. Twenty years ago, Dr. Quiñones-Hinojosa, now 40, was an illegal immigrant working in the vegetable fields of the Central Valley in California. He became a citizen in 1997 while at Harvard.

Damn...