A.T. Still University Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nze82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, just got my first rejection letter in the mail today.
I simply started laughing, when I saw it, because out of the 11 schools I applied to this year, I thought this would be the one with the least likelihood of rejecting me.
A.T. Still University has decided that they can't offer me any interviews with my 22,22,20 DAT and my 3.87GPA :laugh:
What a joke!
According to predents.com their average DAT is 18.59 and their average GPA is 3.46, and they're saying my stats isn't competitive for their school?!:laugh:

Oh well! At least they put a smile on my face.

Members don't see this ad.

I simply started laughing, when I saw it, because out of the 11 schools I applied to this year, I thought this would be the one with the least likelihood of rejecting me.
A.T. Still University has decided that they can't offer me any interviews with my 22,22,20 DAT and my 3.87GPA :laugh:
What a joke!
According to predents.com their average DAT is 18.59 and their average GPA is 3.46, and they're saying my stats isn't competitive for their school?!:laugh:

Haha :laugh: Sorry... You'll enjoy reading this though

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=674316&highlight=ASDOH

wow, this makes me feel better for getting my rejection letter. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions process is something we will never understand

I think they rejected you for a right reason and yes you are not competetive enough in a way that they interpret competetiveness.

Your stat being much higher than their average both in GPA and DAT, means that if you are out of state app, you will go somewhere else. You are practically a risky applicant to them and they are not willing to waste their time and risk the spot they will offer you later.

I think they rejected you for a right reason and yes you are not competetive enough in a way that they interpret competetiveness.

Your stat being much higher than their average both in GPA and DAT, means that if you are out of state app, you will go somewhere else. You are practically a risky applicant to them and they are not willing to waste their time and risk the spot they will offer you later.
Hmmm! That's a very good point. I probably wouldn't have ended up going there anways!

Maybe they wondered why it took 500 hours of shadowing to decide that dentistry was for you.

You were too overqualified, and they KNEW you were not going to enroll there. That's why they decided to not waste your money and their time.

I think your a bit confused about the admin process. Those are averages which means there were people who were way higher and those that were way lower. Hence averages.... Every school has more to evaluate then numbers. If it was all numbers you probably would be in everywhere. But numbers don't make you a good candidate. For all they know you sat home studying for the last 4 years and have not seen a drop of sunlight or that was from all online classes at a community college. I'm not saying you have no extracurriculars cause I don't know all your app but I'm simply trying to make a point that theres more to the game than getting good grades and you shouldn't be discouraged by one rejection. Cause I had 12 rejects last year and as of this cycle have had 6 interviews.

I think basically each school knows which people with a certain kind of stats and extra's would ultimately accept their offer and attend their program. I think if your stats are too high, and obviously too low, they wont bother (b/c they dont want to be a "back up"). They dont like to offer an acceptance/spot just to be turned down. Just a guess tho.

I think your a bit confused about the admin process. Those are averages which means there were people who were way higher and those that were way lower. Hence averages.... Every school has more to evaluate then numbers. If it was all numbers you probably would be in everywhere. But numbers don't make you a good candidate. For all they know you sat home studying for the last 4 years and have not seen a drop of sunlight or that was from all online classes at a community college. I'm not saying you have no extracurriculars cause I don't know all your app but I'm simply trying to make a point that theres more to the game than getting good grades and you shouldn't be discouraged by one rejection. Cause I had 12 rejects last year and as of this cycle have had 6 interviews.

Yes, an average is the measurement of the middle value of a data set. But does not necessarily include extreme highs and lows. ASDOH does not let people in with below 17's and I doubt they let in more than a couple people with 17's. Therefore, it's unlikely they get a lot of 22's and 23's. This is besides the point though

Otherwise, I agree with everything you say. They are looking for a student to match their educational philosophy. If you have a 21+ DAT, great GPA, and are a match then you will get an interview. If you have an 18 DAT, solid GPA, and are a match, you will also get an interview. I understand what they are doing and it's smart on their part. Why waste time on candidates that do not fit their mold and could be using ASDOH as a backup. Louisville is very similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think basically each school knows which people with a certain kind of stats and extra's would ultimately accept their offer and attend their program. I think if your stats are too high, and obviously too low, they wont bother (b/c they dont want to be a "back up"). They dont like to offer an acceptance/spot just to be turned down. Just a guess tho.

It's more than guessing who will use ASDOH as a back-up, but they do realize this scenario exists.

Maybe they wondered why it took 500 hours of shadowing to decide that dentistry was for you.
Yes! Maybe there is a narcissistic, disrespectful, and a sarcastic individual, just like yourself, on their committee who thinks that!
I've been on this website for quite some time now and not even once have I seen a comment from you that's not mixed with a hint of sarcasm. It's sad knowing that there are people like you in this field:)

p.s. I didn't do 500 hrs of shadowing to figure out whether or not I liked dentistry. After my graduation, I had one year before I could apply to DS, and since I enjoyed working at the doctor's office I went there couple of times each week. I figured it's better than sitting home.

Can I get an AMEN! Ha, I'm with you nze82. I think 500 hrs. of shadowing shows true committment and a passion for this particular healthcare field.

Commitment, yes. Passion, maybe. Necessary, no. I love dentistry and it's definitely the career for me. But standing up for 4 hours a day and just watching dental procedures gets boring after a while. It's important to switch it up. Now I could sit and practice dentistry all day long for the rest of my life.

What a joke!

Hmmm, maybe they read through your application to your sarcasms, arrogance and short temper. That could have ticked them off lol.

Good luck with the rest though .........

Commitment, yes. Passion, maybe. Necessary, no. I love dentistry and it's definitely the career for me. But standing up for 4 hours a day and just watching dental procedures gets boring after a while. It's important to switch it up. Now I could sit and practice dentistry all day long for the rest of my life.
True! It's not neccessary at all I just did it because I liked it and the doctor I worked with actually allowed me to do stuff (very basic stuff). Nevertheless, I agree that if it was just standing there watching procedures I wouldn't have done it for so long![/COLOR]

True! It's not neccessary at all I just did it because I liked it and the doctor I worked with actually allowed me to do stuff (very basic stuff). Nevertheless, I agree that if it was just standing there watching procedures I wouldn't have done it for so long![/COLOR]

Yea, when you actually get to work with the dentist as an assistant. Then it's fun.

Maybe stats arent everything to ASDOH...they are pretty big on community service and its a big part of their mission as well. Maybe they felt that you wouldn't contribute to their cause. But who knows.

Yes! Maybe there is a narcissistic, disrespectful, and a sarcastic individual, just like yourself, on their committee who thinks that!
After my graduation, I had one year before I could apply to DS, and since I enjoyed working at the doctor's office I went there couple of times each week. I figured it's better than sitting home.

Or it could be that said committee came to realize that with a degree in bio from a prestigious university the best you could do is shoot the breeze with a local dentist.

What a joke!

Sorry for the rejection. I got the same stat even with lower GPA and got invited to some top dental schools(according to SDN). But don't let the name of some dental schools fool you. Some top names dental school do not impress me as some non-top names (sorry for confusion, i won't mention the name).
For instance, i visited ASDOH and what i saw is that students there are happy, the clinic and simulation lab are spanking new. Some of the top schools i visit, students there are not happy and the clinics cannot compare to ASDOH.

My point is that just because you have a high stat, it does not mean you will get invite from them and that do not let the dental school name stand in the way where you feel happy in the next 4 years.
Good luck. I am sure you will get into your top choice

What a joke!

Well I think that you are a solid applicant. I think A.T. Still University taught you were using them as a back up or you might not have been what they are looking for. Just by looking at your stats on predents, if they are true they are impressive. It is not like you went to a easy school, your science gpa was a 3.85 at UCLA in Biology. Do not pay any attention to the other people giving you a hard time, just focus on your NYU interview on November 20. You will get other interviews. Well if you did 500 hours of shadowing you should have a few more things to talk about during your interviews. Just like you said it is best that you did the shadowing as suppose to saying at home doing nothing.

I've been on this website for quite some time now and not even once have I seen a comment from you that's not mixed with a hint of sarcasm. It's sad knowing that there are people like you in this field:)

p.s. I didn't do 500 hrs of shadowing to figure out whether or not I liked dentistry. After my graduation, I had one year before I could apply to DS, and since I enjoyed working at the doctor's office I went there couple of times each week. I figured it's better than sitting home.

LOL, looks like something struck a nerve there...

Anyway, if you don't regard the university that rejected you with any respect, why the hell do you bother to whine about it here?

It's obvious you're trying to make yourself feel better by putting down A.T with your stats glaring.

Given the quality of the original post, I think doc toothache actually did you a favor with his comment.

Good luck and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Why doesn't anybody mention that ASDOH has the highest applicants number per seat???????
It is really competitive to get in there.

Maybe stats arent everything to ASDOH...they are pretty big on community service and its a big part of their mission as well. Maybe they felt that you wouldn't contribute to their cause. But who knows.

:thumbup:

Looking on predents there are a couple of applicants with your same stats or with stats that are slightly higher that got interviews. If you check out futuredent's link, ASDOH is very heavy on community service and even Dean Dillenberg (during a meeting with him) said that if you don't have that much community service, you should start working on it now because they really look at that. That most likely played a role in making their decision.

Or it could be that said committee came to realize that with a degree in bio from a prestigious university the best you could do is shoot the breeze with a local dentist.
Toothache (Like always I refuse to give you the Dr. title, because you simply don't act like one), you're deeply troubled my friend, thinking that every applicant is trying to lie to the committee about their stats ECs. What happened? Mommy didn't love you when you were a kid, so now you can't trust anyone?:laugh:
And about your comment regarding breezing with a local dentist:
You don't know me and you don't know what I do for living, so the fact that you keep assuming things about me simply proves you're ignorant. I'm not gonna discuss my entire DS application and every single activity I've done on this website, just because someone like you has a hard time trusting others.
But at the end I can't change you and I'm sure you will continue to be a snot trying to bring others down with your comments.
Good luck with that:)

LOL, looks like something struck a nerve there...

Anyway, if you don't regard the university that rejected you with any respect, why the hell do you bother to whine about it here?

It's obvious you're trying to make yourself feel better by putting down A.T with your stats glaring.

Given the quality of the original post, I think doc toothache actually did you a favor with his comment.

Good luck and have a nice day.
If you actually spent enough time reading the original post properly, you would have realized that I'm not trying to put AT down. I simply mentioned that their stats are lower than mine, and the fact that they didn't even bother to interview me surprised me.
Was this a backup school for me? 100%
Does the fact that they rejected me make them a bad school? Absolutely NOT!!
Am I upset and trying to vent here? Nope! I was just looking for some feedback and I got it (Well excluding yours and toothaches' comments I think the majority of other posters helped me understand why I got rejected).
Anyways, I already have 5 pre-December interviews and I completely understand that not every DS I applied to is going to send me and acceptance letter. So, getting a rejection from 1 out of 11 schools isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure there will be other schools that will reject me as well (for various reasons). But all I really need is for 1 school to accept me and I'm pretty confident I'm going to get that.

Good Luck:thumbup:

Sorry for the rejection. I got the same stat even with lower GPA and got invited to some top dental schools(according to SDN). But don't let the name of some dental schools fool you. Some top names dental school do not impress me as some non-top names (sorry for confusion, i won't mention the name).
For instance, i visited ASDOH and what i saw is that students there are happy, the clinic and simulation lab are spanking new. Some of the top schools i visit, students there are not happy and the clinics cannot compare to ASDOH.

My point is that just because you have a high stat, it does not mean you will get invite from them and that do not let the dental school name stand in the way where you feel happy in the next 4 years.
Good luck. I am sure you will get into your top choice

Thanks dude! Good luck to you too!:thumbup:

OHJUSTME,

Hey are you from the San Diego area? you wouldnt happen to be in PDS would you?

Toothache (Like always I refuse to give you the Dr. title, because you simply don't act like one), you're deeply troubled my friend, thinking that every applicant is trying to lie to the committee about their stats ECs. What happened? Mommy didn't love you when you were a kid, so now you can't trust anyone?:laugh:

Refusing to use a fictitious title makes about as much sense as censoring Bugs Bunny every time he says: "What's up (bleep)?" Keep practicing your psychobabble. Who knows, it might come in handy as an alternative career choice.

Last edited:
Haha (OHJUstme) yeah I thought so I am a PDS member too. I am also fairly new can't wait to meet the UOP dean