Committing to a school while still having interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmitherson123

Reaction score
So I have an acceptance in hand for school #1 that requires a decision soon, but I have an interview scheduled for my top choice at school #2 after the decision deadline for school #1. I'm planning to accept the offer, pay the deposit, and reevaluate my options once I have a decision from school #2.

I didn't see any language in the acceptance letter about this, but accepting an offer of admission is not understood as a binding agreement, right? (I.e., I can withdraw and forfeit my deposit?). Is there a time frame when it's somewhat acceptable to do so? I understand it's frowned upon and why waitlist spots exist, but I want to make sure I'm not creating a messy situation for myself if I get an acceptance from school #2.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have an acceptance in hand for school #1 that requires a decision soon, but I have an interview scheduled for my top choice at school #2 after the decision deadline for school #1. I'm planning to accept the offer, pay the deposit, and reevaluate my options once I have a decision from school #2.

I didn't see any language in the acceptance letter about this, but accepting an offer of admission is not understood as a binding agreement, right? (I.e., I can withdraw and forfeit my deposit?). Is there a time frame when it's somewhat acceptable to do so? I understand it's frowned upon and why waitlist spots exist, but I want to make sure I'm not creating a messy situation for myself if I get an acceptance from school #2.
deposit is not binding, but yes, non-refundable
as long as you are professional about giving up your spot, the schools will understand...

Reactions: 1 user