A tactful way to say "hey do you wanna give me money?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to put a plan together for next year since sitting here on my butt all day scares me more than not going to grad school. I discovered that there's a building in my city for forensic mental health care. I found the name of a Psychologist that works there and his area is what I would most like to study in grad school. So I thought I'd email him and ask if he's doing research next year and if he needs an RA. The problem is I have no idea how to do this. I would certainly take volunteering over nothing at all, but being paid would be nice considering I'll be taking advantage of my parents' bank accounts for a year otherwise. If any of you could think of a tactful way to say "hi I'd love to do research with you and I'll volunteer if I have to but I'd love it if there was a paid position available" I'd be forever indebted to you. :)

And if you think it's presumptuous of me to go off in search of an RA position that isn't posted somewhere, please tell me that too. lol. I've always been hopeless at doing these sorts of things, which could be why I've only been a volunteer RA for 2 years at school.

Also, if he has no need for an RA (paid or otherwise), is it rude to ask him if anyone else at the FMH building does? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My first RA position was aquired by asking a prof is she needed some RA help, prettymuch exactly how you phrased it in your post :p. Turns out she did! She hadn't posted anything about it, either. I'd even have gotten paid if her grants had gone through (which they did not).

It IS tactful to say that you'd volunteer, but would prefer a paid position! Profs don't want someone to act all into them and their work, only to drop out when the only positions are volunteer. It's also fine to ask if someone else in the area is looking for an RA; maybe not in your initial e-mail, but certainly if the response is that he isn't looking for help.

Well I'm trying to put a plan together for next year since sitting here on my butt all day scares me more than not going to grad school. I discovered that there's a building in my city for forensic mental health care. I found the name of a Psychologist that works there and his area is what I would most like to study in grad school. So I thought I'd email him and ask if he's doing research next year and if he needs an RA. The problem is I have no idea how to do this. I would certainly take volunteering over nothing at all, but being paid would be nice considering I'll be taking advantage of my parents' bank accounts for a year otherwise. If any of you could think of a tactful way to say "hi I'd love to do research with you and I'll volunteer if I have to but I'd love it if there was a paid position available" I'd be forever indebted to you. :)

And if you think it's presumptuous of me to go off in search of an RA position that isn't posted somewhere, please tell me that too. lol. I've always been hopeless at doing these sorts of things, which could be why I've only been a volunteer RA for 2 years at school.

Also, if he has no need for an RA (paid or otherwise), is it rude to ask him if anyone else at the FMH building does? :confused:

Your sig made me laugh :D One summer, I mass emailed my resume to absolutely anyone and everyone I could find and I ended up getting a paid internship. It's possible! I don't think it's presumptuous at all (probably because I'm trying to justify my having done it already), but if a professor's friend is looking for an RA, I'm sure they would let them know of your availability. It seems that the psychology community is generally "tight" like that.

As for paid positions, you could simply ask if he had any paid or volunteer positions available and you have your bases covered without seeming desperate. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As for paid positions, you could simply ask if he had any paid or volunteer positions available and you have your bases covered without seeming desperate. Good luck!

I think this is a good idea. Either that in the initial email, or talk about options when you guys actually speak in person. He would probably be forward if he does have a position and tell you whether there would be funding or not.

Thanks for your help guys. :)