PI won't give me letter of rec. What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coriander1998

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a situation I would like some advice on. I am planning on applying to graduate school this coming cycle (typically, applications open in September and close in December) for both Master’s and PHD programs in clinical psych (my end goal being a doctorate in clinical psychology). I am currently a research tech in a neuroscience lab that is outside of my field many ways (neuroscience rather than clinical psych, animal research instead of human research, wet lab). I have worked here for almost two years and have demonstrated research skill and capability. I am hardworking and reliable, often staying late. I work long hours, holidays, weekends, etc. My PI likes me a lot. I respect him and like him, though he is also calculating, vindictive, etc. He tried to prevent me from going to a funeral of a family member and had me come to work when I was extremely sick, for instance. I also feel like my boss is very unorganized and this interferes with work often.

I recently asked my boss whether he would write me a reference for graduate school. He said that he hopes I would stay another year before writing the reference, as my coworker recently got a letter of rec from him and then immediately quit. I tried to explain that I would stay another year as the school would start in the fall if I am accepted (about three years total), but PI still seemed uncomfortable writing it as he wants me to keep working for him (for about four years or more). For the record, there are no other graduate students or techs in the lab at the moment. Again, this lab does not have much to do with the field of study I am interested in.

I am unsure what to do. I have no other “proof” of working here as PI arbitrarily decided not to present a poster with my name on it, and though he has been writing a paper for over a year I am not sure when, if ever, it will be submitted. Another person who semi-works here (unsure how else to put it) said that PI kept him from leaving for many years using similar behavior. I asked this individual, who is basically a supervisor for me, whether he can write me a letter of rec, and he said yes, though it would be better coming from the PI. Coworker knows PI well and said that if I re-explain that I will be here for longer to the PI (about a year after applications are submitted while I wait to hear back/before school starts) PI will write a letter of rec, But I am uncomfortable about basically begging on my knees for something that he will not freely and only maybe give.

I have applied to a new position and had an interview this morning. I am 100% sure they are going to extend an offer. However, they want a two year commitment, which would hold my plans of attending graduate school back by 2-3 years. This lab would again be with research animals instead of humans, and would again involve long hours, weekend work, holiday work, and likely little pay (perhaps even less than the pennies I make now). Still, this position is related to the work I want to do in graduate school (is exactly what I want to study), and the PI is a BIG name in the field. I can swallow another two years of work potentially, but I don’t think I can swallow more. And what if this guy also doesn’t give me a letter of rec?

Other options are applying to clinical positions (I see a psychometrist position is open at a local hospital) and applying to graduate school this round while I work at these positions anyways, using my coworker’s reference as a Letter of rec. However, coworker only has a Bachelor’s degree—so I am not sure if it will hold the same weight. I can also try other research positions, though I feel that they will want me for 2+ years as well.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry you are in this position. Some faculty are terrible human beings. I simply cannot imagine holding a LOR hostage in those situations. I've had staff and trainees leave early. If they've done good work, I always support them in doing what's best for them. Its part of the job. Actually one of the best parts of the job.

I would probably first <try> to work it out with the PI. Its terrible that you are in this position and unfair, but I do think its the path of least resistance. Finding some/any other job and using the coworker as a reference should really only be an option if said co-worker is faculty-level. A LOR from a BA or even MA-level lab manager is not going to go very far in graduate school admissions. Otherwise, you may need to bite the bullet and look at other research jobs.

Wish I had something else to suggest.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry you’re finding yourself in such a crappy position and agreed that academia allows non-decent human beings way too much leeway to treat others poorly without penalty.

Of the options you listed, securing admission to an MA program could be feasible without your current PIs support, especially if you’re on good terms with undergrad profs who can write letters. What would be the financial cost of programs that you’re looking at (self pay vs funded) and how well would they potentially prepare you for the PhD?

For the other job, do you know others who have worked for the new PI? I wonder if you can get some recent inside info on how they treat their RAs so that you can determine if you’ll not only get a good rec but be supported on your path to grad school such as being added to posters and papers. If you don’t know anybody directly, this could be a good time to sleuth some LinkedIn or Researchgate profiles and send some cold emails.

If they are indeed a big name in the field and thus would have an ample supply of active grad students, prospective RAs and undergrad grunts, having somebody for 2 years before sending them off with a rec (which sounds like a reasonable exchange that can be explicitly discussed prior to being hired/accepting an offer) could be par for the course. And that 2 year commitment would be the same as an MA so while you’re delayed, it’s not a worst case scenario type of delay.

Regardless, I hope you can find a path forward and hopefully out of this lab. Even if you get a letter from this PI, part of me worries whether the letter will be as strong as it can be since he’s made his motivations known. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users