A technical question:which is the best for vieweing as smallest objects as possible? mri,ct or xray?

Started by Nick_M
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whether or not something is visible on medical imaging is a function of spatial resolution, contrast resolution, the nature of the modality and its associated artifacts, the intrinsic characteristics of the object, its location and the nature of the surrounding tissue, and - sometimes - its biology/physiology (nucs). radiologists train for at least 4 full years in order to understand all of these factors and how they interplay. as worded, your question is beyond the scope of a message board post. if you want to know something specific, then post it and we'll see if we can help.
 
Agree with colb. If you're looking for a general answer, CT offers the best spatial resolution. But as mentioned, there are a lot of technical factors and the answer of "CT" does not always apply.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Google isn't providing a quick answer. I believe the highest spatial resolution is achieved in mammo. I think you may be right about radiography when talking about films, but there may be a caveat as to how that image is acquired.

If only I could find my old Huda book. I'll do some research later (when I'm not at work). If I can find a good answer, I'll post it.
 
Screen film mammo was the highest spatial resolution. Radiographs in general are higher than cross sectional images.

MRI is the best soft tissue contrast resolution.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
By physical law, the absolute limit for best special resolution is set by the wavelength of the radiation you’re using.

Does that help? /s