A technical question:which is the best for vieweing as smallest objects as possible? mri,ct or xray?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick_M

Reaction score
with today's normal equipment found in the hospitals

Members don't see this ad.

whether or not something is visible on medical imaging is a function of spatial resolution, contrast resolution, the nature of the modality and its associated artifacts, the intrinsic characteristics of the object, its location and the nature of the surrounding tissue, and - sometimes - its biology/physiology (nucs). radiologists train for at least 4 full years in order to understand all of these factors and how they interplay. as worded, your question is beyond the scope of a message board post. if you want to know something specific, then post it and we'll see if we can help.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with colb. If you're looking for a general answer, CT offers the best spatial resolution. But as mentioned, there are a lot of technical factors and the answer of "CT" does not always apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with colb. If you're looking for a general answer, CT offers the best spatial resolution. But as mentioned, there are a lot of technical factors and the answer of "CT" does not always apply.

I thought radiography had the best spatial resolution.

Reactions: 1 users
Dr. Google isn't providing a quick answer. I believe the highest spatial resolution is achieved in mammo. I think you may be right about radiography when talking about films, but there may be a caveat as to how that image is acquired.

If only I could find my old Huda book. I'll do some research later (when I'm not at work). If I can find a good answer, I'll post it.

Screen film mammo was the highest spatial resolution. Radiographs in general are higher than cross sectional images.

MRI is the best soft tissue contrast resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think you may be right about radiography when talking about films, but there may be a caveat as to how that image is acquired.

Indeed, a question from my last in-service exam was about which type of radiography detector had the best spatial resolution. I still don't know the answer.

didn't you already ask this question on AM?

By physical law, the absolute limit for best special resolution is set by the wavelength of the radiation you’re using.

Does that help? /s