• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

A thread you should definitely contribute to!

veaselhaufen

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
  1. Non-Student
    Hey Guys,

Since most people on this board have been through the application process, I would really really appreciate if you all can list how long it takes to become a resident (for tuition purposes of course) in states where you have considered medical school. As tuition is a big factor, this information is extremely valuable to me and I'm having a lot of trouble finding info about residency requirements anywhere else. Thanks so much for the help!

Hey Guys,

Since most people on this board have been through the application process, I would really really appreciate if you all can list how long it takes to become a resident (for tuition purposes of course) in states where you have considered medical school. As tuition is a big factor, this information is extremely valuable to me and I'm having a lot of trouble finding info about residency requirements anywhere else. Thanks so much for the help!

Every school should have a domicile office that can provide information for establishing residency. Every state will be different, some are more strict than others. Perhaps if you name the state you are trying to establish residency with someone from there can help you.

veaselhaufen

10+ Year Member
    Aug 15, 2007
    1. Non-Student
      Every school should have a domicile office that can provide information for establishing residency. Every state will be different, some are more strict than others. Perhaps if you name the state you are trying to establish residency with someone from there can help you.

That's the thing, I don't know. At this point I'm still trying to decide what schools to apply to, and residency requirements are pretty important. Can information abt. residency requirements be gleaned from domicile offices through their websites?

About the Ads

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
      10+ Year Member
      Dec 10, 2007
      Never-Never-Land
      1. Medical Student
        That's the thing, I don't know. At this point I'm still trying to decide what schools to apply to, and residency requirements are pretty important. Can information abt. residency requirements be gleaned from domicile offices through their websites?

I know in Texas you have residency after owning property for a year (buy a condo your first year and you're golden years 2-4). In Colorado, you cannot become a resident if you weren't already one, unless you did it before med school.

L

LikeClockWork

I think most states require at least a year or more of living in the state, paying taxes, whatever. It definitely doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could be done at the last moment, if that's what you're thinking.

What state are you a resident of now, BTW? You might want to just count your blessings...

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
          Feb 6, 2007
          1. Medical Student
            Illinois: 12 months of residence prior to application with proof of employment, enrollment in an Illinois school, or other evidence of what you've been doing for that year in state.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
            Jan 13, 2007
            1. Pre-Medical
              Connecticut - 1 year
              OSU - 1 year
              Massachusetts - 5 years, and undergrad years in Mass aren't counted
              New York - 1 year
              UMIch - never

I really wouldn't recommend making a long list of state requirements based on what premeds say about each state. I would urge people to search the state universities themselves.

Example: according to this website, it only takes 12 months to become a resident of Massachusetts for tuition purposes.

HanginInThere

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              May 24, 2007
              the library
              1. Medical Student
                I really wouldn't recommend making a long list of state requirements based on what premeds say about each state. I would urge people to search the state universities themselves.

Example: according to this website, it only takes 12 months to become a resident of Massachusetts for tuition purposes.

Fair advice. But if you're going to the websites, check the actual med school sites and not just the general state university system or one of the undergrad campuses.

For instance, according to the UMass Med website, it takes 5 years to become a legal resident of Massachusetts for them to even consider your app for admissions to the MD program. (Believe me, as someone who grew up in another state and applied to UMass, I know what their rules are.)

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                May 24, 2007
                Houston, Texas
                1. Medical Student
                  I know in Texas you have residency after owning property for a year (buy a condo your first year and you're golden years 2-4). In Colorado, you cannot become a resident if you weren't already one, unless you did it before med school.

This only works for Baylor. For other Texas schools you need to have lived in Texas for a year prior to matriculation.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
                  Jan 13, 2007
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Fair advice. But if you're going to the websites, check the actual med school sites and not just the general state university system or one of the undergrad campuses.

For instance, according to the UMass Med website, it takes 5 years to become a legal resident of Massachusetts for them to even consider your app for admissions to the MD program. (Believe me, as someone who grew up in another state and applied to UMass, I know what their rules are.)

Little did I know my own advice would point out my fallacy. I stand corrected ;)

HanginInThere

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    May 24, 2007
                    the library
                    1. Medical Student
                      Little did I know my own advice would point out my fallacy. I stand corrected ;)

But you do make a good point. I'd say that this could still be a good reference, if people provide links to back up their claims:

Connecticut - 1 year (UConn Med)
                      OSU - 1 year
                      Massachusetts - 5 years to even apply, undergrad time doesn't count (UMass Med)
                      New York - 1 year (SUNY Upstate)
                      UMIch - never

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.