veaselhaufen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Non-Student
Hey Guys,

Since most people on this board have been through the application process, I would really really appreciate if you all can list how long it takes to become a resident (for tuition purposes of course) in states where you have considered medical school. As tuition is a big factor, this information is extremely valuable to me and I'm having a lot of trouble finding info about residency requirements anywhere else. Thanks so much for the help!

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hey Guys,

Since most people on this board have been through the application process, I would really really appreciate if you all can list how long it takes to become a resident (for tuition purposes of course) in states where you have considered medical school. As tuition is a big factor, this information is extremely valuable to me and I'm having a lot of trouble finding info about residency requirements anywhere else. Thanks so much for the help!
Every school should have a domicile office that can provide information for establishing residency. Every state will be different, some are more strict than others. Perhaps if you name the state you are trying to establish residency with someone from there can help you.

OP
V

veaselhaufen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Non-Student
Every school should have a domicile office that can provide information for establishing residency. Every state will be different, some are more strict than others. Perhaps if you name the state you are trying to establish residency with someone from there can help you.
That's the thing, I don't know. At this point I'm still trying to decide what schools to apply to, and residency requirements are pretty important. Can information abt. residency requirements be gleaned from domicile offices through their websites?

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Never-Never-Land
Status
Medical Student
That's the thing, I don't know. At this point I'm still trying to decide what schools to apply to, and residency requirements are pretty important. Can information abt. residency requirements be gleaned from domicile offices through their websites?
I know in Texas you have residency after owning property for a year (buy a condo your first year and you're golden years 2-4). In Colorado, you cannot become a resident if you weren't already one, unless you did it before med school.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Can information abt. residency requirements be gleaned from domicile offices through their websites?
Go to the university's website. Do a search for "residency classification." It should outline the definition of a resident for tuition purposes there.

LikeClockWork

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2007
KY
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I think most states require at least a year or more of living in the state, paying taxes, whatever. It definitely doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could be done at the last moment, if that's what you're thinking.

What state are you a resident of now, BTW? You might want to just count your blessings...

GreenShirt

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Illinois: 12 months of residence prior to application with proof of employment, enrollment in an Illinois school, or other evidence of what you've been doing for that year in state.

HanginInThere

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
the library
Status
Medical Student
Connecticut - 1 year
OSU - 1 year
Massachusetts - 5 years, and undergrad years in Mass aren't counted
New York - 1 year
UMIch - never

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Connecticut - 1 year
OSU - 1 year
Massachusetts - 5 years, and undergrad years in Mass aren't counted
New York - 1 year
UMIch - never
I really wouldn't recommend making a long list of state requirements based on what premeds say about each state. I would urge people to search the state universities themselves.

Example: according to this website, it only takes 12 months to become a resident of Massachusetts for tuition purposes.

HanginInThere

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
the library
Status
Medical Student
I really wouldn't recommend making a long list of state requirements based on what premeds say about each state. I would urge people to search the state universities themselves.

Example: according to this website, it only takes 12 months to become a resident of Massachusetts for tuition purposes.
Fair advice. But if you're going to the websites, check the actual med school sites and not just the general state university system or one of the undergrad campuses.

For instance, according to the UMass Med website, it takes 5 years to become a legal resident of Massachusetts for them to even consider your app for admissions to the MD program. (Believe me, as someone who grew up in another state and applied to UMass, I know what their rules are.)

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status
Medical Student
I know in Texas you have residency after owning property for a year (buy a condo your first year and you're golden years 2-4). In Colorado, you cannot become a resident if you weren't already one, unless you did it before med school.
This only works for Baylor. For other Texas schools you need to have lived in Texas for a year prior to matriculation.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Fair advice. But if you're going to the websites, check the actual med school sites and not just the general state university system or one of the undergrad campuses.

For instance, according to the UMass Med website, it takes 5 years to become a legal resident of Massachusetts for them to even consider your app for admissions to the MD program. (Believe me, as someone who grew up in another state and applied to UMass, I know what their rules are.)
Little did I know my own advice would point out my fallacy. I stand corrected ;)

HanginInThere

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
the library
Status
Medical Student
Little did I know my own advice would point out my fallacy. I stand corrected ;)
But you do make a good point. I'd say that this could still be a good reference, if people provide links to back up their claims:

Connecticut - 1 year (UConn Med)
OSU - 1 year
Massachusetts - 5 years to even apply, undergrad time doesn't count (UMass Med)
New York - 1 year (SUNY Upstate)
UMIch - never

kansaskid

too school for cool
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
the Djougs
Status
Pre-Medical
Assuming a Baylor student would want something in Houston, what are the prices like for a condo there?