a tough question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hl11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a good answer for this question:

what are some of the difficulties facing dentistry?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends how you're looking at it. As a professional trying to start your own business, many areas are so over saturated with dentists that it would be harder to start a thriving practice. In my area there are about 2 dentists per block. This may force you to move from areas that you wanted to stay near.

I'd have to say a large under-served population. The distribution of dentists isn't equal... There may be areas where there are 2 dentists on a single block, but in Kansas there are on ave. 1250 patients per dentist and there are like 6 counties w/o any dentist at all!

Also I think since general dentists usually provide mainly preventative care, alot of people who don't have dental insurance or money to spend don't see a dentist on a regular basis. Its ok to wait to see a dr. until you're sick, but if you wait to see a dentist until you're in pain it's gonna cost you a lot more!! Educating the public on the importance of preventative care is important!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to say a large under-served population. The distribution of dentists isn't equal... There may be areas where there are 2 dentists on a single block, but in Kansas there are on ave. 1250 patients per dentist and there are like 6 counties w/o any dentist at all!

Also I think since general dentists usually provide mainly preventative care, alot of people who don't have dental insurance or money to spend don't see a dentist on a regular basis. Its ok to wait to see a dr. until you're sick, but if you wait to see a dentist until you're in pain it's gonna cost you a lot more!! Educating the public on the importance of preventative care is important!!

Yes!!! We have a winner!!! This person deserves to go to dental school. Usually when interviewers ask this question, they are asking it in terms of the broader issues facing dentistry. Well done! You are absolutely right on point.

Last edited: