A Vegetarian at Officer Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biodork111

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently discussing the Army's officer training with a friend of mine who has already completed the program. A concern of mine is my diet. I have been a vegetarian for 12 years for an assorted variety of reasons and am wondering if there are any others that have advice about getting through training alive and not malnourished (other than to begin eating meat b/c that is really not at option).

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of a time when we didn't have veggie stuff as an option. The caf was incredible and has tons of meat free choices .... and there were always MORE than enough veggie MREs to go around during field training exercise - seems like every 4th or 5th MRE was veggie (still pretty good). OBC itself shourld be no problem, slthough I have no idea what real life in Iraq is like.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 2 out of 12 MREs in a case are veggie... vegan might be a little harder to adhere to.

bogatyr said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 2 out of 12 MREs in a case are veggie... vegan might be a little harder to adhere to.

Trust me, you'll always be able to trade with the carnivores for the bean burrito or pasta alfredo...they aren't exactly the most popular Just stay away from the Jamaican Ham Slice...mmm, ham slice. I met stray dogs in Iraq that wouldn't eat that thing. Also, I believe there are now more than 12 offerings. They were phasing in some new stuff, like pizza slice, just as I was phasing out of the army.