Question about Navy HSCP as prior officer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroseidonPremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon yall,

I am an MS1 student and received an offer for the HSCP scholarship (3 year scholarship). I am a prior Navy officer with 8 years of active duty service. I was under the impression that as a prior officer I would receive E-7 pay, but my recruiter is telling me that since I am a civilian and I had a break in service where I was not on a reserve status, I will be treated as a new civilian accession and am only eligible to receive E-6 pay.

Ultimately, I do plan on accepting the scholarship regardless of this fact, but I will admit that I am a little disappointed. I know this is a very peculiar position to be in, but I was hoping someone might have gone through this same thing or might know of some literature that might help my cause. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon yall,

I am an MS1 student and received an offer for the HSCP scholarship (3 year scholarship). I am a prior Navy officer with 8 years of active duty service. I was under the impression that as a prior officer I would receive E-7 pay, but my recruiter is telling me that since I am a civilian and I had a break in service where I was not on a reserve status, I will be treated as a new civilian accession and am only eligible to receive E-6 pay.

Ultimately, I do plan on accepting the scholarship regardless of this fact, but I will admit that I am a little disappointed. I know this is a very peculiar position to be in, but I was hoping someone might have gone through this same thing or might know of some literature that might help my cause. Thank you.
It’s been 13 years, but I was a prior Air Force officer, had about a five month break in service after resigning my commission, then enlisted as E7

Reactions: 1 user
Good afternoon yall,

Check out this LINK 8b Enlistment.... The link may not be the most current document.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps contact higher up directly. Recruiters are often misinformed, especially if it's an officer. My recruiter screwed my application up so many times, I missed out on HSCP because all the slots filled. Ended up going HPSP. Almost went Army because I was so angry with him.

Alternatively, not sure if this is still the case, but I think if you refer someone to HSCP you can get bumped to E7. There may be another way to get up to E7 as well. Has been a few years since I dealt with it.

After some back and forth with my recruiter, I think the best option I have for promotion to E-7 is by recruiting another medical student into a navy medical program.

With that being said, if you're reading this and you were already planning on joining the Navy through the HPSP/HSCP (or any other medical officer program) please PM me!

I did my HSCP with a dentist who was also a prior Navy officer. He still got the E6 pay during his dental school. They let him skip ODS though. 🤷‍♂️

A few years prior to mine another dentist on HSCP recruited someone and got bumped up to E7. He went out and bought the full chiefs khaki uniform and everything, and showed up to one of the weekends with it on. The HSCP staff (I forgot what they are even called) apparently took him into one of the offices and just lit into him for like an hour.

• Haha