A Warning Shot to the Freaks/ A Shoulder to the Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerseyBelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To any freak with a proportionally high score:
( >1 "10" in a section and/or >9 in all sections")
I am not writing this to offend, but to educate...
I feel compelled after signs of gloating, and possible lying on this website.

I am reapplying with a 24S (after being waitlisted at a really competitive school), with an employment history of hospital work, ECs up the ying-yang, and a graduate degree. I have a testing issue (dates back to K-3) , but if I had to sit through so much as a Kaplan SAT course to figure out how to ACE my boards, you damn right I will! :clap:

Why? Because it is not just me that I will be in care of when the white coat goes on my upper quadrants, but I owe that intensity and work ethic to every single patient that I see in my office, obviously sick or not, obviously hurt or not, hyperchondriac or hypoglycemic...

Am I sane? Yes. Thank you for asking. :)

Why am I writing this?
I use this website as a tool to gather advice and information on everything from admissions to interview day fashion dont's. When I am in the position to add such advice, I will gladly contribute.

If you can literally sit on your ass for the next year, eat Doritos and do a thesis on Ricki Lake and can get into schools that would not give me or many other SNDers a second glance, this applies to you!

You know it is really irritating when people with your credentials moan and bitch on this website about how REMOTE their chances are, using valuable bytes to spout how your 34 is worthy of one-eyed monkeys or third graders off Ritalin.

It would behove you to tell people how you got those HIGH scores or that HIGH GPA, because there are many people on this website scrambling for advice.

Their pre-med advisors are telling them everything short of "UPS is hiring", and have parents telling them, "You should gone to law school like we told you". I know of this emotional roadblock firsthand...

They are within a microscopic distance of going to clown college, busing tables, or performing as strippers and/or street mimes because they are out of hope. (I am being a bit sarcastic...)

So, I suggest you and the rest of the right handed side of the curve START INSPIRING AND STOP IRRITATING the rest of us. A student doctor educates from day one, intentionally or not. Start a trend.

BTW, that does not mean harshly telling people they have no chance, or zero chance. A little kindness goes a long way. You wouldn't just tell a patient "You have condition XYZ. You will be dead in three months", would you?

NOW...To all of you on the left-handed side who are frustrated and scared you will "never break on through to the other side", :D DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF AND YOUR DREAMS. :D

Remember grades and MCATs, are important and if a serious enough issue; can be fixed. You have come too far and worked too hard to stop right now! :)

There are many MDs and DOs and DMDs (possibly your preceptor or family doc) practicing right now whose pre-med advisors suggested they would be more useful in a Wal-Mart smock.

If you feel offended by gloaters or liars, exit the page and keep looking for the advice you truly need and deserve.
This is a library of advice and knowledge from those who are on the path many a stockbroker exited and doctor continued: medical school admissions. The road is not paved, and it is not supposed to be. If you give up now, you are letting down yourself, and all those whose shoulders you stand on for a decent view. You also will live the regret of not trying and giving it your all for the rest of your days, and believe me; that bobble head in your cubicle will be of no comfort, or will Larry in accounting with the day-glo ties.
(Why do I hear "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" im my head?)

For the freaks: TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS REQUIRED!
For the confused: You are NEVER given more than you can handle. Hence, you are stronger than you could imagine. IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT, SO WORK IT (I am referring to your goals' becoming reality).

Peace
Belle

Members don't see this ad.

Feel free to share with the pre-MD students. I feel like a guppy in a shark tank over there.

JerseyBelle

Yes, yes... it needed to be said.

The road can be rough enough even without the uneccesary orange barrels!

I appreciate your post.

-JmE-

Members don't see this ad :)
So an 11V, 10P and 9B would be a freak? That seems to set the bar a bit low...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•So an 11V, 10P and 9B would be a freak? That seems to set the bar a bit low...•••••I was thinking the same thing. So whattabout a 13-15V, 14P, and 13B? ubber-freak?

Two of my friends have 11, 14, 15 and 9, 13, 14... I guess they're beyond freaks.

I would have to say that someone with a 32 score is smart not a freak, but above that then the weirdo's really come out!!!!!! :) :p

If you're in the top 1-2%, I'd consider that an uber-freak...

Let me redefine freak for a moment.

I am in no way implying that just anyone worked for and earned above a 32 is a freak.

I am saying anyone who earns above a 32 and has the :rolleyes: RAW NERVE :rolleyes: to imply that they are better off becoming professional clowns than doctors, and then turn around and offer NO INSIGHT into how said individual recieved a high GPA/high MCAT/numerous ECs/numerous LORs/saving drowning puppies.

This goodwill gesture would be for the benefit of those struggling with this process, holding onto almost no hope, and who are now looking at exotic dancing as an alternative.

If you violate that basic golden rule (HELP A GUY WHEN HE'S DOWN), and want sympathy because of a 33, and think you can't get in with a 34 when everyone short of President Bush has made it clear you can: YOU ARE A FREAK!!!

Spew and don't share: FREAK
Spew and then share: ABOVE THE CURVE! I hope the view is nice from up there...

Kirk out on your own time! If you contribute nothing to SDN but drips of your own egomania, BOUNCE!

Don't get it twisted. I practice what I preach.

Peace and Love
Belle

hey belle, don't get bent outta shape because of slydawgg's thread. :)

In short, if you have worked hard and earned your way into a school or with your stats right now could watch 23 hours/day and get recruited like Shaq; you owe it to your fellow pre-meds to help them out!

You would owe it to your patients to do whatever you could, right?

Thus, you owe it to your fellow pre-meds to drop whatever advice you can. You never know...

Your words could inspire or help a fellow SDNer on this site right now...who could end up being your classmate at XYZ SOM, COM....

Vixen:
As I stated before...This post is to educate everyone who reads it. I am not addressing those who share; just those who DO NOT share.
This has nothing to do with slydawgg or any particular post. I have seen many a pre-med website and there seems to be a theme going.