This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you assume she won't be? She's on her second fellowship and has a challenging and rewarding career. Seems pretty chauvinist to assume she will not work. To question? Sure. To assume? - Nope



I'm older, married, a parent, and decidedly not uptight. But I too found your "sex on demand" language offensive, in that it reduces a woman's role to a relatively small piece of anatomy that exists for your pleasure. You demand (you're the boss, right?), she complies (even though it sounds like she doesn't want to). Not a flattering portrayal of your marriage.

Feminist? I resemble that remark. I absolutely believe women should have equal rights, equal pay, equal responsibilities, and equal access to opportunities. Would you like to go on record as not believing those things? Feminist is not a dirty word and should not be thrown around as if it were an insult.



You appear to assume that this was her devious plan -- (If it was, that's nasty. If it wasn't, it's merely a very tough break...)

In fact, there are a whole lot of negative assumptions on this thread about women's motivations. How is it in any way evil for an intelligent adult to not want to assume $300,000 of existing debt plus another $300,000 in potential future debt for a largely-absentee (for the next 8 years) partner? Frankly, it would be foolish for her not to feel that way. Selfish? Sure, but not to a 'ditch the witch' extent. Reverse the genders and imagine you're the soon-to-be-attending and your GF wants you to assume $600K of her debt -- Funny how the preponderance of advice doesn't change at all -- "Dump the gold-digging witch!" (Yes, I'm assuming, based on what I've seen here and elsewhere online.) Would that make you selfish?

What we have in this situation is an unfortunate confluence of events -- She wants to have a baby. He wants to give up a reasonably lucrative career and pursue a dream which will put him/them hugely in debt and make him a sub-optimal (temporarily, due to time constraints) father. Both parties have reasonable wants and needs. Neither party is evil or scheming. They both just want what they want, and those wants tend to conflict.

In response to what you just quoted about me...

The OP literally said "I got used" in his post that I quoted, hence my response. So no, I didn't just randomly assume this was her "devious plan", the OP said so, and I responded to it. You can just assume I'm sexist if you want because I'm a guy who responded to a post about a woman, but we aren't all sexist ya know.
 
In response to what you just quoted about me...

The OP literally said "I got used" in his post that I quoted, hence my response. So no, I didn't just randomly assume this was her "devious plan", the OP said so, and I responded to it. You can just assume I'm sexist if you want because I'm a guy who responded to a post about a woman, but we aren't all sexist ya know.

Fair enough - My apologies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Feminist? I resemble that remark. I absolutely believe women should have equal rights, equal pay, equal responsibilities, and equal access to opportunities. Would you like to go on record as not believing those things? Feminist is not a dirty word and should not be thrown around as if it were an insult.

First of all, I do believe that all women should have those mentioned rights and opportunities. The problem becomes when some women become PR police due to some insecurity and demand an apology over certain remarks. That's when the negative image of feminists come in. I don't own anyone an apology here. If you are looking for an apology because you don't like the way I portray certain things, you're talking to the wrong person. My marriage is certainly my own matter, and my family is fairly happy with all of our roles. The most important thing is the happiness of me and my wife. We don't need PR on sdn telling us what's right and wrong. EOD.
 
775ea1c992f32fd9f740b40e8e9d534a.jpg
 
That's ~27% tax rate. Is that really what you are taxed on $360k? My GI attending told me he is taxed 46%, and he admits that he doesn't make as much as other GI docs, so I don't think he is in some crazy high tax bracket.

Most people don't understand tax rates, and don't know the difference between marginal tax rates and effective tax rates. The effective tax rate on a $360,000 salary is about 26%. There are some additional payroll taxes, but also tax deductions. After deductions, federal taxes are probably a bit less than 26%. However, he probably has state taxes as well. In California, one of the highest tax states, his effective state tax rate will be about 8%, so a total of about 34%. However, a GI doc might earn more than 360k, and so have a slightly higher rate.

Now, his marginal rate might be 46%. That's the amount he pays on his last dollars of income, but it's averaged with the lower cost dollars ( you pay more as you earn more, but the first dollars are always charged at a lower rate). Those are married rates. If he's single he would be paying more.

In California, if you earn over 413k single or 465k married, you will have a marginal rate of 50.1%, assuming no deductions. With deductions, the level at which you pay that marginal rate will be higher, but at some point, you will be paying 50% combined taxes on your additional income over that amount..

Sorry if that's confusing. Google marginal and effective tax rates.
 
First of all, I do believe that all women should have those mentioned rights and opportunities. The problem becomes when some women become PR police due to some insecurity and demand an apology over certain remarks. That's when the negative image of feminists come in. I don't own anyone an apology here. If you are looking for an apology because you don't like the way I portray certain things, you're talking to the wrong person. My marriage is certainly my own matter, and my family is fairly happy with all of our roles. The most important thing is the happiness of me and my wife. We don't need PR on sdn telling us what's right and wrong. EOD.
I'm a feminist and don't believe I ever asked for an apology - I just discussed someone else's remarks and your response. But just as you are entitled to state in insecure, defensive frat boy fashion that you and your wife are SOOO happy even though you have to demand sex, and the topic is closed, I am entitled to point out that your comments make you sound less than desirable.
 
I'm a feminist and don't believe I ever asked for an apology - I just discussed someone else's remarks and your response. But just as you are entitled to state in insecure, defensive frat boy fashion that you and your wife are SOOO happy even though you have to demand sex, and the topic is closed, I am entitled to point out that your comments make you sound less than desirable.

I'm pointing to the post by Affiche with the following quote:
'Lol I believe the correct response was, "Sorry, my post was inappropriate and offensive".'

This is what you also wrote:
'Then your comment to a poster who objected to the effect of "why do I have to apologize to some cookie on the Internet" or whatever ... well, you know, maybe you'll end up being classmates someday and be "outed," as it seems folks here often are. Do you really want to go on record as that jerk who makes it sound like he's glorying in his wife servicing him? Just, ugh.'

Let's not play dumb here.
 
I'm a feminist
Thanks for proving my point. PR police force is strong here.

I don't believe I ever asked for an apology -I just discussed someone else's remarks and your response.
But you were obvious butt hurt about my dismissive attitude toward a random chick asking for my apology. OOKKKK!

But just as you are entitled to state in insecure, defensive frat boy fashion that you and your wife are SOOO happy even though you have to demand sex, and the topic is closed, I am entitled to point out that your comments make you sound less than desirable.
Whatever. It's time for you to take that chill pill.
 
I kinda figured my post would not be well received. Whatever, in my opinion, as someone who is a nontrad, I would not personally start this at 29. If the OP can find a job making 100k, he could be making double, triple that maybe more in 10 years and have his debt paid. Going to med school for the reason of paying down your debt isn't a good idea. You need to have a better reason. And at 30+, it needs to be a real good reason.

unless the op went to some no name law school and is totally and utterly unemployable, I would say give it a shot and try to work your way up.

I think it really depends on what a person wants out of their career though. I've met multiple PAs while shadowing docs and working as an EMT who said they went to PA school at 29+ instead of med school because of their age. Every single one of them said they regretted not becoming physicians, and almost all of them said they made 6 figures. There are plenty of people at all ages that regret becoming physicians, but if someone is 29 and knows they'll be far happier as a doc than as what they are doing at the time, I see no reason why age should keep them from that pursuit.
 
Thanks for proving my point. PR police force is strong here.


But you were obvious butt hurt about my dismissive attitude toward a random chick asking for my apology. OOKKKK!


Whatever. It's time for you to take that chill pill.
I think you mean PC, right? And "obviously," not "obvious," since you want an adverb? ROFL at your inability to write coherently or put together any sort of systematic argument.

Also, I'm proud of being a feminist, a mom, 43 years old, and admitted to medical school to start in August 2016 (I think same as you, but almost 15 years older than you, per your posts on the nontrad board--not sure why you are calling yourself a current medical student--apologies if I've confused you with someone else) ... so I'm not the one who's insecure and defensive here. You, on the other hand, seem very defensive and insecure about the fact that you have unwittingly made clear that your wife doesn't enjoy bedtime with you (and you don't particularly see that as a problem). And no matter how many ways it is spelled out for you, you seem never to say the one thing that would acquit you, which would be that of course you didn't mean it that way, of course you don't routinely "demand" sex, and of course her wishes are important, too! Instead, you've gone on with this misogynist and frankly STUPID nonsense about how men would understand, married people would understand, parents would understand, etc., and you make yourself look worse and worse.

And you know what? Not all straight, married dads talk this way. In fact, no man in my social circle (just about all of whom are straight, married, and parents) speaks in such misogynist, dismissive terms. Then again, I live in a state with legalized recreational and medical marijuana, where we're forward thinking enough that feminist isn't considered an insult. Seriously, I don't know what kind of rock you are living under that you think feminist is an insulting term.

As for the "men understand; you're oversensitive" idiocy - well, women have ways of chatting about these things too, when we're on our own. And the vast majority of the mothers I know are usually thrilled to bits at the opportunity to have sex because we all know it's challenging when we have responsibilities like kids, jobs, house stuff, or even aging parents. The whole "compromise to make him happy" isn't much of a thing--it's a rare event. The ones who aren't so jazzed about having sex with their husbands? Well, they're either having sex with someone else, or planning their exit, or both. Just something to bear in mind.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.