AACOMAS/AMCAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halligan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I found out that once you submit it...you submit it, its over and done for. yes, you can send letters updating them, showing interest, etc. correct? Ok, if I'm squared away on that...my question/situation is:

I've got a pretty crappy sci GPA (3.1)..overall GPA is competitive. I'm planning on taking my last semester of physics in the summer, class ends last wk of July. Should I wait to submit my primary apps until august when I get my grade so it can factor into my Sci GPA, or should I just submit them the first week of June to have better odds of getting reviewed and not looked over..and then update?? If it matters, I havent had the MCAT, but will have it on May 16. Would it make a difference if I scored 'high' on the MCAT or what my GPA is (3.6)..I'm also a not-trad?

Anyone have any experiences with the updating of their app? Do tell.

I plan on retaking the one C+ I got which is royally screwing me over. I've also got o-chem II to take in the fall. So Assuming I do well...and really bust my butt, i should be sitting a little prettier than where I am now science wise. And if people have had decent experiences with updates, then maybe I'll give it a whirl.

thanks for your help.

- kyle

Members don't see this ad.

you can send letters updating them, showing interest, etc. correct?
You mean a letter of intent/interet? That's only if you want to get off the waitlist, which will be a long time away if you apply early for 2008 cycle.

I've got a pretty crappy sci GPA (3.1)..overall GPA is competitive.
3.1 is not crappy, maybe for allopathic, not for osteopathic. Now I'm not saying DO is easier than MD, NO FLAMING DO vs MD period please!! If you do well on MCAT it will offset your GPA. Average sci GPA for incoming students depending on the DO school is around 3.3-3.6.

Should I wait to submit my primary apps until august when I get my grade so it can factor into my Sci GPA, or should I just submit them the first week of June to have better odds of getting reviewed and not looked over..and then update??

Submit your AACOMAS app ASAP. Takes them 4-6 weeks to process, slow. Then when your new grades arrive, send a new transcript to AACOMAS. In 2-3 weeks they will recalculate GPA and mail the transcripts to the schools you applied.

DO schools replace any class retaken with the better of the two grades. So anytime you can retake a science class you did poorly in, it will raise your GPA significantly more than taking another course and getting A+, I speak from personal experience.

AACOMAS opens May 15, thankfully you get to work on primary online, I can't imagine what it was like precomputer era.....abacus

FYI people, B.C. is not Before Common Era (B.C.E. aka B.C.), but its really B.efore the C.omputer

Thank you for taking the time out of your night to explain all of that to me, protease. very much appreciated.

So - If I send in the new grade after I have submitted them, will they recalculate my sci GPA and send it out to all the schools I applied to????

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitting earlier will be way more advantageous to you then getting one more grade factored in. Even if you ace Physics it probably won't increase your gpa up that much that it would compensate for a later application.

So - If I send in the new grade after I have submitted them, will they recalculate my sci GPA and send it out to all the schools I applied to????

You submit primary APP, you then have to send an updated transcript to AACOMAS, you cannot edit your application once you submit it initially. They will recalculate all of your GPA, science and nonscience and will send it to only the schools you list on your AACOMAS "designation" section, which is where you select the schools.

You submit primary APP, you then have to send an updated transcript to AACOMAS, you cannot edit your application once you submit it initially. They will recalculate all of your GPA, science and nonscience and will send it to only the schools you list on your AACOMAS "designation" section, which is where you select the schools.

OK - Cool. That's what I wanted to clarify. Thanks.

I think it is important to get your app. early even if you are waiting on classes to finish. This way they already have you processed and it just a matter of updating the grades when you send new transcripts. I also think that it helps for you to have a steady stream of stuff going to the schools from AACOMAS that way every so often they have to add more stuff to your "file", the whole name recognition deal (just a theory). I think I had at least two updates after I was verified and mailed. As previosly stated AACOMAS will replace old grades with new but AMCAS averages the grades so retakes don't help you all that much. If I had known that I wouldn't have wasted the money on the AMCAS because I had alot of retakes. As a side note my sci GPA 3.1 Overall 3.25 24N MCAT. 3 schools; 2 interviews;2 acceptances. You will be fine