AACOMAS FAQ 2014-2015 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WesternRedCedar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Page will be for Frequently Asked Questions re: AACOMAS for the 2014-2015 application cycle, opening June 2014!

PLEASE READ THE AACOMAS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE POSTING HERE, OR ANYWHERE ON THE FORUM.

Link: AACOMAS INSTRUCTIONS

Also, use the search button.

-----------------------

Written by Polylux:

Hey guys, in the future, please direct people to this post if they are confused with the submission/verification process.

On the main AACOMAS page, the following instructions are listed:
  • Begin the application.
    • In other words, fill out the application itself.
  • Request that your transcripts be delivered to AACOMAS
    • This simply means that you will request your school(s) send in your transcript(s) to AACOMAS. They must be sent directly to AACOMAS to be valid.
  • Request that your MCAT scores be released to AACOMAS.
    • This is done by providing AACOMAS with your AAMC number and through AAMC. Instructions may be found in ACCOMAS itself.
  • Submit your application to AACOMAS.
    • This step may only be performed on June 1 and after you have selected the schools you wish your application to be submitted to. You should submit your application once you have filled it out to the best of your ability and are ready for it to be submitted.
AT THIS POINT: You are (for the most part) done with your primary application. AACOMAS will receive your transcript(s). Once you hit "submit" and AACOMAS receives your transcript(s), they will then begin the verification process. Depending on volume and timing, this can take anywhere form 2-6 weeks.

Please note: You should submit your application to AACOMAS as well as have your transcript(s) received by AACOMAS for them to begin your verification.

Once your application has been fully verified and you have paid everything you need to pay to AACOMAS, your verified application will then be submittedby AACOMAS to the schools you indicated. You may come back and indicate more schools for your application to be forwarded to later. You can track your verification through the AACOMAS site.

CONGRATS. You are now done with the primary application. Once schools receive your primary from AACOMAS, you will be reviewed and secondaries will be sent out as appropriate. and the cycle continues.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When will the school specific discussions for the next cycle be posted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the 4500 word character limit for personal statements is with or without spaces?

How early is still early when it comes to primary submission?

I heard the DO cycle is longer than the MD cycle.

Anything before September is gravy.

I just got an interview this week randomly. The DO cycle is definitely longer.

That's really awesome. Because I am applying to MD and DO at the same time, I might now be able to submit my DO primary until mid-June.

That's really awesome. Because I am applying to MD and DO at the same time, I might now be able to submit my DO primary until mid-June.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-secondary-application-thread-2013-2014.1002478/

I don't remember how many schools you plan to apply. The best advice I can give you is to do 1-2 secondaries before June. Most schools have the same theme so it's good to have 1 secondary ready as a template for the usual "why osteopathic medicine?" question.

Your MCAT will garner much love and when there is a massive influx of secondaries you don't want to get buried. 90% of your DO secondaries will come in a 2 week window.

Last edited:
When should I have my school(s) send in transcripts to AACOMAS?

I am thinking about AFTER submitting my primary application.

Send transcripts on may 7th

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not possible.

You need your transcripts in so your coursework can be verified and THEN you submit.

REALLY?

Wow I didn't know that. But does this mean I can/have to submit a transcript BEFORE submitting the primary?

And I thought that no verification will be done until primary applications are submitted!

REALLY?

Wow I didn't know that. But does this mean I can/have to submit a transcript BEFORE submitting the primary?

Make an account on AACOMAS right now so can see what I'm talking about.

There is a coursework section you have to have filled and verified BEFORE you can click the submit button.

Just have your transcript in after May 7th.

Make an account on AACOMAS right now so can see what I'm talking about.

There is a coursework section you have to have filled and verified BEFORE you can click the submit button.

Just have your transcript in after May 7th.

So when I submit, the application will have been already verified? I think with MD and AMCAS, you submit the primary first and then it gets verified.

So when I submit, the application will have been already verified? I think with MD and AMCAS, you submit the primary first and then it gets verified.

That's how it was last year.

Last year was also the first time some people had their coursework verified before they were allowed to submit. It was weird.

If you're lucky you might get verified before the June 1st date. That's why getting the transcripts in right after May 7th would be a good idea.

Fill out the coursework first so it's up there and then slowly work through the other sections.

* I could be wrong since it has been 2 years.

Last edited:
That's how it was last year.

Last year was also the first time some people had their coursework verified before they were allowed to submit. It was weird.

If you're lucky you might get verified before the June 1st date. That's why getting the transcripts in right after May 7th would be a good idea.

Fill out the coursework first so it's up there and then slowly work through the other sections.

I see. I'll probably contact AACOMAS directly about this.

I've always thought about the traditional approach where you submit primary in June, and after you submit your transcripts to AACOMAS, your primary gets verified and send to medical schools. Having your primary verified BEFORE you submit is major news.

I see. I'll probably contact AACOMAS directly about this.

I've always thought about the traditional approach where you submit primary in June, and after you submit your transcripts to AACOMAS, your primary gets verified and send to medical schools. Having your primary verified BEFORE you submit is major news.

Check with them.

You might be right. My process we a little different since I carried over a verified transcript. It has been 2 years.

http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf

- Page 22 says Verification is after submitting.

I had to have my transcripts sent in before I could send out my primaries with this last cycle.

I had to have my transcripts sent in before I could send out my primaries with this last cycle.

But did you submit your primary to AACOMAS before sending in your transcript?

I have a question.

Let's say you submit your primaries and everything. Then after a month you submit your letters of recommendations.

In that month in between, is your application going to he verified (i.e, gpa calculated)? Or are they not going to look at your application until letters are in?

But did you submit your primary to AACOMAS before sending in your transcript?
No, however I sent in my transcripts really early regardless. You have to have your transcripts sent in before AACOMAS will verify your file. It won't let you verify until you have done so.

I have a question.

Let's say you submit your primaries and everything. Then after a month you submit your letters of recommendations.

In that month in between, is your application going to he verified (i.e, gpa calculated)? Or are they not going to look at your application until letters are in?
Letters are completely separate and do not have to be sent in to AACOMAS

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question.

The LORs aren't submitted to AACOMAS via the primary application. Only once schools send you secondaries and ask for LORs can you submit them.

Reactions: 1 user
The LORs aren't submitted to AACOMAS via the primary application. Only once schools send you secondaries and ask for LORs can you submit them.

Thank you. And as a follow up question, do any schools have screening processes pre-secondary? Or does every applicant receive a secondary?

Can I setup an account before everything opens up on May 1st? If so, how? I'm having trouble finding a way to register.

Thank you. And as a follow up question, do any schools have screening processes pre-secondary? Or does every applicant receive a secondary?

Many schools (e.g. Touro and MSUCOM) pre-screen for applicants who fall below the required GPA and MCAT minimums. I'm on mobile so I can't quite link these threads for you at the moment, so try to do an SDN search for schools that pre-screen. There's a wealth of info available on this.

If you don't meet their minimum requirements you won't receive a secondary. Just make sure you have all of the required course work and minimum GPA/MCAT so you don't waste your money

Can I setup an account before everything opens up on May 7th? If so, how? I'm having trouble finding a way to register.

You can't register now. You need to wait until May 1st to register.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you get secondary apps if you still have a pending MCAT(say late July)?? CUSOM told me yes..JW about other programs..

Can you get secondary apps if you still have a pending MCAT(say late July)?? CUSOM told me yes..JW about other programs..

Possible at some schools, but rare. Most other schools would give secondaries only if the GPAs were fabulous and the MCAT was already taken with a 2nd/3rd retake pending. Or some other mitigating circumstances.

What's the minimum sGPA cut-off? 3.0? 3.2?

I believe some schools require 3.2-3.25.

Wow, that is such a late interview.
I interviewed 9 days ago and got accepted 3 days ago... It happens. Especially if you apply late in February like I did.

I seriously thought all interviews were done for the cycle. I go online to register and had options until mid-May.

From what I heard a lot of interviews got pushed back due to the bad snow we had all winter.

Is there a transcript request sheet that must be submitted with our transcript ( ie AAMC)?

There is a request form you'll be able to print out, but it's not required with your transcript. I believe if you have it though, it will make processing faster.

Is there a transcript request sheet that must be submitted with our transcript ( ie AAMC)?

It's not necessary, but it does makes things a little easier for processing since it has your AACOMAS ID already on there. Otherwise, without the request sheet, all they need to do is just look up your account via your name. No biggie.

It's not necessary, but it does makes things a little easier for processing since it has your AACOMAS ID already on there. Otherwise, without the request sheet, all they need to do is just look up your account via your name. No biggie.

Thanks!!

For the application fee wavier, we have to submit the student aid report from FAFSA. Does anyone know if we have to submit 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 aid year report?

2013-2014. The majority of 14-15 fafsa's haven't been processed.

2013-2014. The majority of 14-15 fafsa's haven't been processed.
Exactly what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

I have a question about reapplication.

I know there is an option to roll over your application from the previous cycle (2013-2014). Let's say that I wanted to change the personal statement and the descriptions of the activities that I did in undergrad. Would I be able to do that even if I roll over the application, or do I have to re-do the whole application and submit it as if I haven't applied before?

Finally open! Good luck everyone! :)

Reactions: 2 users