AACOMAS Grade Replacement Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footNankle

DMU DPM c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wanted to get everyone opinions on this. I'm going to be retaking a class this spring semester that I originally took in Fall 2007. Only problem is that I'm going to be taking it at another university because the class at the original university is currently full and I can't get ahold of the professor. I emailed AACOMAS about what criteria they look for when determining if two classes are equivalent enough for grade replacement, and they told me they first look at the class title, and then the class description if necessary.

Anyway, I just wanted to get all your opinions on whether or not you think these class descriptions are alike enough to qualify for grade replacement:

The class that I originally took:

Technical Drawing - MET 1020

Essentials of dimensioning, size, position and form tolerancing and their application in shop processes. Pictorial drawings are created freehand and with the use of drawing instruments.

The class that I want to retake at a different university:

Manual Drafting - CAD 120

Studies concepts required to understand and produce well- structured drawings as used in industry. Discusses basic geometry, orthographic and assembly drawings, dimensioning, isometric and oblique views. Lab sessions involve graphical problem solving and assigned projects using the latest industry information and standards. It is recommended that the student have prior drafting instruction or experience.

And another possible nearby university:

Print Reading and Sketching - MET 110

Print reading and sketching includes the alphabet of lines, orthographic projection, ordinary views, section views, auxiliary views, pictorial sketching, dimensioning, tolerancing, screw threads and fasteners, mathematics for design and an introduction to geometric dimensioning and tolerances.

What do ya all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Just wanted to get everyone opinions on this. I'm going to be retaking a class this spring semester that I originally took in Fall 2007. Only problem is that I'm going to be taking it at another university because the class at the original university is currently full and I can't get ahold of the professor. I emailed AACOMAS about what criteria they look for when determining if two classes are equivalent enough for grade replacement, and they told me they first look at the class title, and then the class description if necessary.

Anyway, I just wanted to get all your opinions on whether or not you think these class descriptions are alike enough to qualify for grade replacement:

The class that I originally took:

Technical Drawing - MET 1020

Essentials of dimensioning, size, position and form tolerancing and their application in shop processes. Pictorial drawings are created freehand and with the use of drawing instruments.

The class that I want to retake at a different university:

Manual Drafting - CAD 120

Studies concepts required to understand and produce well- structured drawings as used in industry. Discusses basic geometry, orthographic and assembly drawings, dimensioning, isometric and oblique views. Lab sessions involve graphical problem solving and assigned projects using the latest industry information and standards. It is recommended that the student have prior drafting instruction or experience.

And another possible nearby university:

Print Reading and Sketching - MET 110

Print reading and sketching includes the alphabet of lines, orthographic projection, ordinary views, section views, auxiliary views, pictorial sketching, dimensioning, tolerancing, screw threads and fasteners, mathematics for design and an introduction to geometric dimensioning and tolerances.

What do ya all think?

I have been dealing with the same issue with aacomas and repeat courses. Assuming that the credits are all the same I think the MET 110 class gives you the best shot at not having to haggle with them over course similarities.

Thanks for the fast response manipulator!

All of the course I mentioned are 3 credit hours.

Anyone else have any insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this post here, copy it into an email to AACOMAS, and ask them if it qualifies as a retake.

I can tell you yes it will qualify, but if AACOMAS says no, it doesn't matter what I say.

Unfortunately, I already asked AACOMAS that, and they said that they don't issued advanced guarantees.

Yeah, I was about to say, AACOMAS won't tell you if it'll satisfy as a retake. I've written them on multiple occasions and they just say, "We cannot tell you if X retake will work, but as long as it is the same or more amount of hours and has a similar title/description, then it should be fine." Not very definitive... You just have to use your best judgement.