AACOMAS grade replacement policy change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EDK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I called aacomas today to ask about grade replacement. The first representative told me that only classes from the same institution will be able to replace each other. I was confused about it and ask the rep if this is something new. He said that in the upcoming cycle there will be a different policy and only classes from the same institution will count. I called again and the second rep told me the opposite where you can take classes from different institutes, but the credits have to be equal or greater and the classes have to be similar. Which is what we have now. I was wondering if any of you guys had the same experience and do you guys think there will be a change that we don't know about yet? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The first guy who told you classes must be from same place must be wrong bc a lot of universities, you cannot retake the same course unless you have failed it (1.5 or lower). Also, I hope that isn't right bc right now I am retaking classes at my local CC, and that would be very, very annoying.

This topic/policies around it are a complete mess. This cycle there was a lot of confusion from AACOMAS telling different policies to different people. I went through hearing multiple things from different reps and managers even. AACOMAS did a terrible job explaining to applicants this policy and even went ahead and changed it half way through the cycle.

What I learned: If there's a class that you're trying to replace that is the same credit hours, course content and from different universities it WILL replace during the initial verification stage. However, this WILL NOT replace during the academic update period (why? no idea). Be sure to get EVERYTHING IN WRITING (email). Take the names of the reps you spoke to and be clear with your conversation, the classes you are talking about. They record these conversations and can go back to confirm what reps have told you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I replaced the same courses across different universities that had different but similar titles and separate vs integrated labs even, so it was definitely possible this cycle and I'm guessing it will be in the next, as I haven't seen any "official" policy change stated at this time. The phone/email reps don't always quite seem to know how things work at times but are very responsive. Sometimes its easiest to just try something and see if it works. That's why its important to start the application early!!

I replaced the same courses across different universities that had different but similar titles and separate vs integrated labs even, so it was definitely possible this cycle and I'm guessing it will be in the next, as I haven't seen any "official" policy change stated at this time. The phone/email reps don't always quite seem to know how things work at times but are very responsive. Sometimes its easiest to just try something and see if it works. That's why its important to start the application early!!
About the integrated vs separate labs... did you just end up replacing a 3 credit course with a 4 credit?

About the integrated vs separate labs... did you just end up replacing a 3 credit course with a 4 credit?

I'm curious about this too because, there's a class I'm interested in that has the lab separated and the original class that I want to replace has lab integrated. I know in some thread they said that this year they won't let you do that. I've also seen some posts talk about the honor system for this year too. Where you can even replace a class with another that has less credits?

I'm curious about this too because, there's a class I'm interested in that has the lab separated and the original class that I want to replace has lab integrated. I know in some thread they said that this year they won't let you do that. I've also seen some posts talk about the honor system for this year too. Where you can even replace a class with another that has less credits?
Not so sure about replacing it with a class that has less credits than the original...

I replaced a 3 credit class and 1 credit lab with the 4 credit combined. At their request I emailed them to make sure it was done correctly.
Honestly my lab grades are 3.5's or 4.0's so I'm thinking I'll just try and replace the 3 credit lecture with my newer 4 credit lecture + lab together course. I think it should work.

I have no advice. All I can say is that as someone who transferred schools and retook a D+ class, this was a big question I had for myself. So I looked it up, and this type of thing seemingly comes up every year. IDK if this is the year they actually make a change, but if the past tells me anything, you probably just got someone who was not sure/had bad information.

This is ridiculous how do they not have a clear policy yet. I just spent $1500 retaking a class from another achool. I really hope they didnt change their policy.