AACOMAS Personal statement vs Secondary personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esth0001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between AACOMAS Personal statement vs Secondary personal statement?

For example, What is a topic of the secondary personal statement? Is that for example, "Why do you want to become a D.O.?

Members don't see this ad.

esth0001 said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between AACOMAS Personal statement vs Secondary personal statement?

For example, What is a topic of the secondary personal statement? Is that for example, "Why do you want to become a D.O.?
It varies by school, but there are a couple of essays where you get a paragraph or two to elaborate on personal statement type stuff. Some examples of questions are:
Why do you want to be a DO?
What personal qualities do you have that will make you a good DO?
Do you have a personal experience that steered you to medicine/DO?
Is there anything else you would like us to know?
Again, it varies by school, but these are generally the type of questions you get asked. A creative writer can manipulate these into very decent elaborations on the personal statement. I know I was quite relieved because I don't believe that 3000 characters is enough to say much by itself in the PS.

Another common question is: why school x?

esth0001 said:

basically....here are some examples:

1) What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to XXXX? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

2) What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

3) Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

4) Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, include extracurricular school and community activities.

5) List any employment in chronological order beginning with your current position:

6) resume

7) Please discuss your preparation for medical school, both academic and non-academic. Describe both strengths and weaknesses associated with your preparation for medical school. Please use the back of this page or attach a separate sheet of paper if additional space is needed.

8) Please attach a brief statement indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend XXXX College of Osteopathic Medicine.

9) What healthcare related experiences have you had?

10) Describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your becoming an outstanding Osteopathic Physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

11) WHY SHOULD THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE ACCEPT YOU INTO THIS YEAR'S CLASS?

12) Osteopathic medicine is a distinct practice with parallels to allopathic medicine. Why do you desire to enter the field of osteopathic medicine?

13) There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe what you feel are the most important and what you, as an osteopathic physician, would do to help find the solutions.

14) Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine.

15) Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

in one way, shape, or form....if you can answer these questions, then you should have no problem on the secondaries :D