DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, i'm doing the last thing on my AACOMAS application: the Personal Statement. I'm basically just using the one I used for AMCAS, but that one is 4665 characters long. I've trimmed it down to 4520 so far.

I've always been taught that when you end a sentence, you should always start the next sentence 2 spaces from the period. Here's my grammar question: Do you guys think it would be a problem if i only used one space in between sentences instead of two?

Example: ( * = space )
See Spot.**See Spot run.**See Spot pee on the new Ferrari. <- how i've been taught

See Spot.*See Spot run.*See Spot pee on the new Ferrari. <- what i'd like to do, if grammatically correct

THANKS!! :)

TerpDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Brooklyn
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think for the PS it's okay to have only one space between each sentence. I think it's more important to make sure that your paragraphs are well defined. The first time I applied to medical school I just copied and pasted my essay from MS word and the formatting was all off, the paragraphs were joined together, and my last sentence was cut off. Just check how your everything looks before officially submitting it, I am sure that the admissions people know we are only human and will more likely than not have some imperfections on our applications.

OP
D

DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks terp!

one more question tho. my PS is below 4500 (its ~4485) and the darn thing keeps telling me its over!! :mad:

has this happened to anyone? and what is the sol'n (if there is one) ?

About the Ads
OP
D

DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
DrPhysician said:
thanks terp!

one more question tho. my PS is below 4500 (its ~4485) and the darn thing keeps telling me its over!! :mad:

has this happened to anyone? and what is the sol'n (if there is one) ?

Never mind. I called AACOMAS and they said to just email them the PS and they would append it when i submitted my application, since they don't have the length limitations on their computers.

MedSchoolFool

Shake Zula
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
Virginia
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
To answer the original question....It is professional to leave only 1 space between sentences. I was an English major, and I remember this being pointed out during one of my business writing classes. Hope this helps.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status
DrPhysician said:
Hey guys, i'm doing the last thing on my AACOMAS application: the Personal Statement. I'm basically just using the one I used for AMCAS, but that one is 4665 characters long. I've trimmed it down to 4520 so far.

I've always been taught that when you end a sentence, you should always start the next sentence 2 spaces from the period. Here's my grammar question: Do you guys think it would be a problem if i only used one space in between sentences instead of two?

Example: ( * = space )
See Spot.**See Spot run.**See Spot pee on the new Ferrari. <- how i've been taught

See Spot.*See Spot run.*See Spot pee on the new Ferrari. <- what i'd like to do, if grammatically correct

Out of curiousity, if you've been taught 2 spaces is the rule, why did you use 1 space throughout your post?

A

alEXatosu

DrPhysician said:
Never mind. I called AACOMAS and they said to just email them the PS and they would append it when i submitted my application, since they don't have the length limitations on their computers.
I'm having the same problem. Did you email them your statement before you submitted or after? If after, did you just leave it blank?

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
MedSchoolFool said:
To answer the original question....It is professional to leave only 1 space between sentences. I was an English major, and I remember this being pointed out during one of my business writing classes. Hope this helps.
Interesting.

OP
D

DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
alEXatosu said:
I'm having the same problem. Did you email them your statement before you submitted or after? If after, did you just leave it blank?

I emailed it in after I submitted my application. In the space, i left them a nice little note explaining why i didn't have a PS there and that they should expect my PS via email.

OP
D

DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
wolfram241 said:
Out of curiousity, if you've been taught 2 spaces is the rule, why did you use 1 space throughout your post?

I think this forum automatically takes out any extra spaces because I did type the entire post using 2 spaces between sentences. For example, I originally put 10 spaces in front of this sentence; however, i have a feeling that when I click the "Submit Reply" button and view my post, it will not contain the 10 spaces i put in.

vt hokie

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
richmond, va
Status
Pre-Medical
The old standard for spacing after a period was 2, but the english major is right. It is acceptable to use 1 space. I hate it, but my supervisor will not accept reports with double spaces.

About the Ads