AACOMAS vs. AMCAS calculated GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green thicket

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does AMCAS not count health sciences courses? Because my AACOMAS science gpa is higher than my AMCAS one and I can only guess that two of my hsc courses were not factored in (both being online)....does anyone know about how you can determine which science courses will count?

Members don't see this ad.

For AMCAS, not Health classes only BCPM: bio, physics, math, and chemistry.

The AMCAS counts everything...the AACOMAS only counts the highest grade recieved in any courses you retook. So if you got an F the first time and an A the second time, the AMCAS counts both of them while the AACOMAS only counts the A, giving you a higher gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
newyorkcougar said:
The AMCAS counts everything...the AACOMAS only counts the highest grade recieved in any courses you retook. So if you got an F the first time and an A the second time, the AMCAS counts both of them while the AACOMAS only counts the A, giving you a higher gpa.
Yep - AACOMAS' grade replacement can make a huge difference. But AACOMAS' definition of science is slightly broader, also. I had done a lot of computer science work through my past life as a CPA - for AACOMAS, all my computer science hours counted as math which grouped into my science GPA - for AMCAS, not so - all those hours were "AO".

thanks guys, i havent taken any courses over again and so ive figured that it must be that hsc classes are not counted unfortunately.

Is the only purpose of the AMCAS gpa to make sure all grades are counted? How do they "standardize" grades? I'm a little confused.... My school operates on a +/- scale and that lowers my gpa by almost a tenth of a point and I would love it if they standardized to the A/B scale :)