AACPMAS Personal Statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaynesCabriolet

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I mention that I applied to med school the year I graduated but did not get accepted, so I retook the MCAT the following summer (2013) and now I'm applying for DPM, or should I not mention the med school at all and just focus on my extracurriculars that I did during my year off?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I mention that I applied to med school the year I graduated but did not get accepted, so I retook the MCAT the following summer (2013) and now I'm applying for DPM, or should I not mention the med school at all and just focus on my extracurriculars that I did during my year off?
I wouldn't make mention of it unless it was directly asked during an interview (which isn't uncommon, so make sure you have a reason prepared).

If the application directly asks you about attempts to attend other graduate schools then answer honestly. Otherwise, there isn't any reason to bring it up and the personal statement is your opportunity to talk about the things you want to talk about.

Members don't see this ad :)
The prompt is just "State below why you are interested in becoming a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. Provide information about your development for a career in Podiatric Medicine."

I graduated in 2012, and I'm writing about the experiences that made me interested in podiatry. I did retake the mcat this summer (after not being accepted anywhere), so I shouldn't mention anything about the med school cycle?

The application doesn't mention anything about applying to other schools, but there also aren't secondary applications either. So would this be brought up during the interviews?

In your application you need to put why you are interested in podiatry and give information about your development for a career in Podiatric Medicine. Just answer the question. Maybe you include your med school application experience, maybe you don't.